• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Backup

rkeane85257

Hi,

I am very new so please bare with me. Everything I read about installing add -ons the word backup is always mentioned. I know how to backup the SQL Database.

How do you backup the whole site ( all files). I have looked thru the instructions and obviously I dont get it.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Ron :rolleyes:

Hi,

I am very new so please bare with me. Everything I read about installing add -ons the word backup is always mentioned. I know how to backup the SQL Database.

How do you backup the whole site ( all files). I have looked thru the instructions and obviously I dont get it.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Ron :rolleyes:

How to backup in OSC:

Before I install any contrib I backup my database nd my filesa\.

To back up your database you log into the osc admin area > tools > backup. Then select backup (with no compression). This creates a backup that can be restored via myphpadmin.

To backup the files simply ftp them to your computer.

I keep all these backups in dated folders so I could revert back to any previous version of the site if I wish.

Then as I go through adding the contribution I save a renamed backup version of each file that is changed.

For instance if I was changing the index.php file I would first save the file as index_old.php so if I muck it up I can always delete the mucked up file and rename index_old.php to index.php and the file is back where it started.

Then I can take my time to figure out where my problem was.

If you did not backup your files you might need to install another version on osc on your server in a different folder and copy the files you need from the fresh install.

Hope this helps

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

How to backup in OSC:

Before I install any contrib I backup my database nd my filesa\.

To back up your database you log into the osc admin area > tools > backup. Then select backup (with no compression). This creates a backup that can be restored via myphpadmin.

To backup the files simply ftp them to your computer.

I keep all these backups in dated folders so I could revert back to any previous version of the site if I wish.

Then as I go through adding the contribution I save a renamed backup version of each file that is changed.

For instance if I was changing the index.php file I would first save the file as index_old.php so if I muck it up I can always delete the mucked up file and rename index_old.php to index.php and the file is back where it started.

Then I can take my time to figure out where my problem was.

If you did not backup your files you might need to install another version on osc on your server in a different folder and copy the files you need from the fresh install.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thankyou for your help. I appreciate it.

Ron

My pleasure,

Let me know how it works out.

Mike

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived