• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Hi All

I am abit stuck and I have been searching this forum for an answer for days. I have installed the Royal Mail module for my online shop but the problem I have is that when I select an address outside of the UK at check_out the Royal Mail Airmail and Royal Mail International Signed For methods kick in but with the error The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time and shows that customer has to pay nothing £0.00. What I have done is install the Royal mail module v 2.0 and updated it using the bug fixes from the contribution 4473 up to v 2.2.0. I am not sure were I am missing it. Also my admin page does not show the version numbers of the methods except for the Royal Mail Airsure v2.2.0, which I think must be the case for all methods. All other methods show question marks were version number is supposed to show e.g Royal Mail Standard Parcels v?.?

Please can you help me.

Hi

I had a similar problem with the version number (a few posts above) and as Chris correctly advised ...Try doing 'remove' and 'install' this will ensure that all the config variables are initialised in osCommerce - this worked for me. Try that and then recheck for your error.

Hope that helps,

Hi

I had a similar problem with the version number (a few posts above) and as Chris correctly advised ...Try doing 'remove' and 'install' this will ensure that all the config variables are initialised in osCommerce - this worked for me. Try that and then recheck for your error.

Hope that helps,

Thank you very much mate. After reinstalling all the methods now show the version number which is 2.2.0 in my case. The error has also disappeared and everything seems to be working fine now. Once again thank you very to all who have put together this contribution to make a reality. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much mate. After reinstalling all the methods now show the version number which is 2.2.0 in my case. The error has also disappeared and everything seems to be working fine now. Once again thank you very to all who have put together this contribution to make a reality. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone know where the image for RM Mail Airsure is located? I have a broken link at the checkout_shipping page and I suppose its because I have no image in the Icons folder. Sorry for being cheeky please kindily help me.

does anyone know where the image for RM Mail Airsure is located? I have a broken link at the checkout_shipping page and I suppose its because I have no image in the Icons folder. Sorry for being cheeky please kindily help me.

The RM Airsure 2.1.0.3 release archive didn't include the image for some reason, even after I did my best to check through the contents before release. I can only guess that I had one of those moments (not the first time) while dealing with this along side doing long hours on paying work.

I found a problem with the original upload of v2.2.0, and have uploaded a modified ZIP, you should end up downloading rm_uk_v2-0-1_1.zip , which should work as intended. Please download the latest file, copy the contents into your installation, 'remove' and 'install' the methods in your admin panel, then give the methods another go...

LABBS Web Services

The RM Airsure 2.1.0.3 release archive didn't include the image for some reason, even after I did my best to check through the contents before release. I can only guess that I had one of those moments (not the first time) while dealing with this along side doing long hours on paying work.

I found a problem with the original upload of v2.2.0, and have uploaded a modified ZIP, you should end up downloading rm_uk_v2-0-1_1.zip , which should work as intended. Please download the latest file, copy the contents into your installation, 'remove' and 'install' the methods in your admin panel, then give the methods another go...

Hi Chris

Thank you for your support and this brilliant contribution that you guys have put together, you are doing an absolute tremendous job. Although I am a newbie I have found the support to be just so good that I have found the whole experience of putting together my first online shop quite interesting and rewarding. Keep up the good work. I will download the modified zip.

Hi Chris

Thank you for your support and this brilliant contribution that you guys have put together, you are doing an absolute tremendous job. Although I am a newbie I have found the support to be just so good that I have found the whole experience of putting together my first online shop quite interesting and rewarding. Keep up the good work. I will download the modified zip.

I am failing to locate the modifed rm_uk_v2-0-1_1.zip, from the 4473 contribution. Is that where it is located? or I have read between the lines in the instructions. Sorry for being a bother, but if I don't ask I can't get answers. Thank you for your help

I am failing to locate the modifed rm_uk_v2-0-1_1.zip, from the 4473 contribution. Is that where it is located? or I have read between the lines in the instructions. Sorry for being a bother, but if I don't ask I can't get answers. Thank you for your help

Just download v2.2.0 from the contribution, this will have a filename as mentioned above.

LABBS Web Services

Ok thanks, that solved the problem. Don't you people in the UK ship packages above 2kg? :P

The weight limits are set by Royal Mail, and for small packets being sent to international destinations this is generally 2Kg.

You can find out more at Royal Mail, where I have been gleaning information from pages such as Royal Mail Airmail FAQ

The RM methods I have created are all oriented in their default install towards the RM Small Packet pricing/weight regime.

I hope that helps answer your question...

Edited by labbs

LABBS Web Services

Hi,

How can I change the shipping value £0.00 to 'Free'? I offer free postage to UK.

Royal Mail 1st Class Standard Royal Mail 1st Class Standard v2.2.0

(Ships normally within 1 to 3 days) £0.00

Thank you!

Edited by sjnewbie

Hi

This looks like the answser to my postage problem. However, 2 questions

1. Does this contrib take into account maximum dimensions? E.g 1st class parcel can only be a max of 61 x 45 x 45cm, and anything larger cannot be sent this way? Or the 90cm length + width + depth applied by the post office to airmail small packets?

Are these already factored in to the module? Cos I send big, light items sometimes

2. Is there an international courier option for the larger parcels? It would need to be able to calculate volumetric weight.

Pleasae can you let me know?

Thanks

Giselle

This looks like the answser to my postage problem. However, 2 questions

1. Does this contrib take into account maximum dimensions? E.g 1st class parcel can only be a max of 61 x 45 x 45cm, and anything larger cannot be sent this way? Or the 90cm length + width + depth applied by the post office to airmail small packets?

Are these already factored in to the module? Cos I send big, light items sometimes

The methods come pre-configured with pricing/weight values for RM Small Packets. osCommerce doesn't have any product fields for dimensions, so a product size isn't taken into account, and the shipping cost is calculated purely on weight.

2. Is there an international courier option for the larger parcels? It would need to be able to calculate volumetric weight.

I haven't created an International Courier method, the only International methods at the moment are those provided by RM.

Sorry but as far as calculating volumetric pricing, thats not going to be possible for the reasons above.

LABBS Web Services

Can you not also answer to my question please?

I use Iinternational Airmail / Signed-for but for all UK postage, I'd like to show it 'Free' instead of £0.00. Would you tell me how I can do this?

Thanks!

The display of price is out of the methods control, as they return an array of information back to the checkout page(s).

I can't think of any easy way to achieve what you are after, as IMHO it will require modification of many of the base osCommerce files along with creating a special shipping method.

LABBS Web Services

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an error or by design, but when I test the Royal Mail Overseas Registered option (rmintsig.php) a £2.20 total is automatically added to the total. I've checked my tare settings, adn further it does not happen for other shipping options.

Also the notes say this is only for UK based stores. I managed to get this working for my store in Spain. I made some changes to make it recognise the UK as overseas and aside from the above problem it does work for me.

Many thanks,

Rob.

I'm not sure if this is an error or by design, but when I test the Royal Mail Overseas Registered option (rmintsig.php) a £2.20 total is automatically added to the total. I've checked my tare settings, adn further it does not happen for other shipping options.

The method rmintsig has a compensation table to work out additional insurance costs, as a vanilla install orders up to 39 in value incur no additional charge, those orders over 39 incur an additional charge of 2.20.

Also the notes say this is only for UK based stores. I managed to get this working for my store in Spain. I made some changes to make it recognise the UK as overseas and aside from the above problem it does work for me.

Correct the methods have been programmed in such a way that you can change the locale, but in their default installation they are oriented towards Royal Mail Small Packets.

You'll find that both national methods (e.g. rmfirst, and rmfirstrecorded) and international methods (e.g. rmairmail, and rmairsure) have two basic types, those that provide insurance and those that don't. You could use these methods as templates to create new methods for a different country, in the way you have for your Spanish shop.

The RM methods are open source, so if you create and publish your own pack of methods derived from these please credit the ancestors of your creation (you'll see I have done so in my methods).

Good luck in your modifications, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions about how they work.

LABBS Web Services

Thanks for the reply and feedback. In the end I took another module (Airmail) which I modified for international shipping from Spain as it did not add the 2.20 to the final shipping amount.

I'm not sure you addressed this matter in your reply - do you know why this amount is added to the final total and if it is possible to disable it.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.

Thanks for the reply and feedback. In the end I took another module (Airmail) which I modified for international shipping from Spain as it did not add the 2.20 to the final shipping amount.

I'm not sure you addressed this matter in your reply - do you know why this amount is added to the final total and if it is possible to disable it.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Chris did answer in his reply...

The method rmintsig has a compensation table to work out additional insurance costs, as a vanilla install orders up to 39 in value incur no additional charge, those orders over 39 incur an additional charge of 2.20.

...Its to do with the value of the item being sold - basically if all your items are over 39 then it will add the 2.20 on automatically to pay for the extra insurance needed as per Royal Mail pricing. - You could change it to zero in the table - but then you would have to send it without sufficient insurance cover.

If the postal services you offer don't need extra insurance or even include the necessary insurance then no worries

Hope this helps,

Edited by Sapphire09

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Great contrib :)

I'm using CRE Loaded 6.2B2B and I have managed to get the royal mail 1st class option to work fine, but i CANNOT get citylink to show as an option! I only have royal mail 1st class and CityLink modules installed, double checked i uploaded the files and the language files and the icons, but I only ever get the royal mail option, never the citylink option despite checking the weights too and the GB county code.

Can anyone offer some tips??

Mike :)

EDIT =======

AH! I just noticed that if i add a load of product to the basket taking it over the RM shipping weight limit, THEN i get the Citylink option. But how do I offer both shipping methods from the start incase my customer wants it shipped citylink rather than RM?

Edited by Caldera Mike

just installed it and after some tweaking its working fine.However when the customer orders say a printer with a weight of 55kg and a computer with a weight of 20kg,it costs a lot of money to send via parcel force.is there a way of getting it to split the order so that the heavy printer is sent via parcel force and the computer is sent via standard parcel?of course i can do this myself but the customer is being charged a high price and i would prefer if the system could split the delivery in this manner.

I'm using CRE Loaded 6.2B2B and I have managed to get the royal mail 1st class option to work fine, but i CANNOT get citylink to show as an option! I only have royal mail 1st class and CityLink modules installed, double checked i uploaded the files and the language files and the icons, but I only ever get the royal mail option, never the citylink option despite checking the weights too and the GB county code.

Can anyone offer some tips??

AH! I just noticed that if i add a load of product to the basket taking it over the RM shipping weight limit, THEN i get the Citylink option. But how do I offer both shipping methods from the start incase my customer wants it shipped citylink rather than RM?

I haven't reworked the Citylink method, it is the same as provided in the 1.2 release from Stewart.

You'll find in the Citylink method (.../inlcudes/modules/shipping/citylink.php) line#22 has an if statement masking it only available when an order reaches 3Kg or more. You could try altering this block, or remove it, to make the method available for lower weights.

LABBS Web Services

just installed it and after some tweaking its working fine.However when the customer orders say a printer with a weight of 55kg and a computer with a weight of 20kg,it costs a lot of money to send via parcel force.is there a way of getting it to split the order so that the heavy printer is sent via parcel force and the computer is sent via standard parcel?of course i can do this myself but the customer is being charged a high price and i would prefer if the system could split the delivery in this manner.

osCommerce allows you to select one shipping method from those available. The current methods allow shipment splitting on weight/value, but do not cater for splitting shipments between different methods.

You could work out the average customer basket, create a shipping costs table for one of the existing methods taking this into account, so that overall you break even on the shipping costs.

Splitting shipments over different methods is several degrees more complex than the existing methods. I imagine you will need some product parameters, and then create a method able to examine the cart contents and split the shipment to use different methods on these product parameters. Interesting idea, but even my mind is starting to melt thinking about the complexities...

LABBS Web Services

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Installed the contribution and it works really well. As usual, I want to try and make code do other stuff... So - I am trying to hack the Citylink module so that I can have shipping to various European countries. I have created a copy of the Citylink and renamed it Eurocourier1 and am trying to make it ship to, for instance France and Belgium only. Basically, I have managed to get it to offer this option when FR or BE is specificed as the shipping country but I can't get it to hide the option if another country is specified and it is slowly driving me mad!

Below is the hack that I have done in the eurocourier1.php - wasn't sure whether the '||' code for 'or' was the correct operator to use?

// Belgium, France, - TESTING ONLY

// class methods

function quote($method = '') {

global $order, $total_weight, $shipping_weight, $shipping_num_boxes;

$dest_country = $order->delivery['country']['iso_code_2'];

$dest_zone = 0;

$error = false;

if ($order->delivery['country']['iso_code_2'] == 'FR' || 'BE') { // TEST to see BE or FR Customers to see shipping method. Hide everbody else.

for ($i=1; $i<=$this->num_zones; $i++) {

$countries_table = constant('MODULE_SHIPPING_eurocourier1_COUNTRIES_' . $i);

$country_zones = split("[,]", $countries_table);

if (in_array($dest_country, $country_zones)) {

$dest_zone = $i;

break;

}

}

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or are there more bits I need to change elsewhere in the file? As you can tell, I have a bit of a DIY approach to php coding!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Installed the contribution and it works really well.

Glad to hear it works for you.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or are there more bits I need to change elsewhere in the file? As you can tell, I have a bit of a DIY approach to php coding!

I did not update the Citylink module from the v1.2 release, as I was more concerned with the RM methods.

You may be better off starting with the code from rmintsig as a code base to work from in creating a new Citylink module.

LABBS Web Services