• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Hi.... I'm a little confused.

I want to use four shipping methods.

RM First + RM Special for packages going to the UK

Airmail + Airmail International Signed for for packages going abroad.

I want customers to be able to choose between a non-signed for and a signed for method.

At the moment a UK customer gets the choice of RM1st RM Special and airmail international signed for. They shouldn't be offered airmail international signed for because the package is inland.

Also

A customer from france is JUST being offered Air Mail international signed for instead of both Airmail and International Signed for.

Can someone help me with this? What criteria is the airmail/international signed for decision made? How can I offer my customers what I want?

By the way - this contribution IS fantastic - thanks very much for it stu200.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions

Hi there - first off what a wicked contribution but.......

I am having major problems when installing. As soon as I place the shipping module files (for example catalog\includes\languages\english\modules\shipping\parcelforce48.php) in the folders on the FTP, ALL the shipping options disappear in the admin section..............even the ones that come standard with the shopping cart. All that is displayed in the shipping section in the admin is the module directory: /home/mysite/public_html/includes/modules/shipping/ and then to the right there is the button that says install. I have tried to click the install button but nothing happens........the page just refereshed itself. Is this a bug or an install error?

Can anyone help.....it would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I`ve just installed the contribution and not all works properly for me. The first problem is that osc calculates the weight of product wrong. I have added a product and set the weight for 0.01 but finally the cart weight is 3.01kg. In this case options listed below should not be displayed but they are with te shipping price 0.00, and this is the second problem.

Royal Mail 1st Class Standard

Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard

Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded

I got the newest osc wit register globals patch.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Artur

Hi,

I`ve just installed the contribution and not all works properly for me. The first problem is that osc calculates the weight of product wrong. I have added a product and set the weight for 0.01 but finally the cart weight is 3.01kg. In this case options listed below should not be displayed but they are with te shipping price 0.00, and this is the second problem.

Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded

I got the newest osc wit register globals patch.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Artur

I have the same problem and found the total weight for determining whether a shipping method is displayed or not does not included the tare weight. But the weight that is displayed next to the shipping method does include the tare weight. Im not sure if its a problem with the contrib or the osc package.

Great contrib though.

I have the same problem and found the total weight for determining whether a shipping method is displayed or not does not included the tare weight. But the weight that is displayed next to the shipping method does include the tare weight. Im not sure if its a problem with the contrib or the osc package.

Great contrib though.

Resoleved the problem for now, the tare weight was set for 3kg, my mistake but still can not understand why some method were displayed despite limits - for example 2class 1kg limit -shown with 0.00 price where it should not be displayed at all. But now seems to work ok.

Thanks for great contribution

Hi, There,

First of all Thanks to everyone contributing to this effort. I am currently in the process of testing OS Commerce and setting up for a friend.

I have also installed the surface mail but would like it to be as an option available to the clinet to choose. May be the client wants his goods early and would like to use Airmail for instance. However I observe that the module takes over and if the address qualifies as an international address then the only option available is the Surface mail. Even though "Airmail International Signed For" is installed it is no longer available as a choice. In UK addresses all choices are shown. How can I get the system to show both the surface mail as well as the "Airmail International Signed For"

Thanks

Just check the control panel for shipping - if International airmail and surface mail have the same priority number only one will be shown. Just change one of the numbers (I think the surface mail defaults to 9) then both shipping options should show

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just an fyi that Royal Mail has raised prices slightly for First class letters and packets as of April 2 2007.

There is a link to it on RM home page.

Thanks again for this fantastic contribution.

Quick question - sorry maybe I am being very silly asking this, but I already have 200 products in my shop (got thousands to add) but now that I have installed this contribution (which is brill BTW) - do I have to go back and change all the individual weights on each product?

----------------------------------------

Minxy :)

"Keep plodding on to achieve your dreams"

Just for kicks,

YES you do have to update the individual products' weight (durr) and TARE Weight is located under Configuration -> Shipping (set this to 0).

Mine was set to 3 as default and I was having all the above problems.

Fantastic contr :)

----------------------------------------

Minxy :)

"Keep plodding on to achieve your dreams"

• 2 weeks later...

i installed the following contribution UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping v 1.2 (FULL) on this page http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4473 ....the poblem im having is...

when i add a product to cart thats 1 kg i get the option of

The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time (3.00Kg cart weight exceeded £0

The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time (1.00Kg cart weight exceeded £0

Royal Mail Standard Parcels

Delivery Weight : 4 Kg's (Insured upto £500.00, ships within 3 to 5 days) £10

Royal Mail Special Delivery

Delivery Weight : 4 Kg's (Insured upto £2500.00, ships Nextday) £20

meaning customers can choose the price with £0 shipping

hi...ok i'm fairly new to all this, and need to set up a good shipping modual....so far this one seems the best and i love the whole set up...thing is i'm confused where to start as there are 8 downloads here....could anyone tell me what ones i need and what order i need to install them...

Many thanks

Deano

the more I learn - The more i'll be able to teach!

deano

Scotland's Gift Shop

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

I think Royal Mail have changed their prices again recently (quiet change), have you got any plan to update your module?

mangotrees

This contribution is for UK Stores ONLY. What it will do is add several shipping zones to your Oscommerce store. If your customer is UK based, it will not show any of the International Shipping Options, and vice versa, if your customer is International it will not show any UK based shipping methods.

Shipping Methods Added:

(1) Royal Mail First Class Standard Post (upto 3.0Kg Limit anymore and a courier is recommended)

(2) Royal Mail Second Class Standard Post (upto 1.0Kg Limit)

(3) Royal Mail First Class Recorded Post (upto 3.0Kg and �32.00 Limit)

(4) Royal Mail Second Class Recorded Post (upto 1.0Kg and �32.00 Limit)

(5) Royal Mail Standard Parcels (upto 20.0Kg and �500) with additional insurance

(6) Parcel Force 48 (>3Kg Limit, any less Royal Mail is recommended)

(7) Citylink Next Day (>3Kg Limit, any less Royal Mail is recommended)

(8) Royal Mail International Signed for (European Prices for weights upto 2Kg)

(9) Royal Mail International Signed for (Zone 1 for weights upto 2Kg)

(10) Royal Mail International Signed for (Zone 2 for weights upto 2Kg)

INFORMATION

===========

All Royal Mails prices are for the new style (packets) pricing as of 21st August 2006, however common sense is needed, a 3.0Kg parcel sent by Royal Mail First class standard delivery would cost �10.69 using the new shipping prices, therefore it would make sense to post it by Royal Mail Standard Parcels, therefore we have placed limits on the lower end shipping methods. If a product goes over this limit, the shipping option will not be displayed.

IMPORTANT NOTES IMPORTANT NOTES IMPORTANT NOTES IMPORTANT NOTES IMPORTANT NOTES

=================================================================

IF YOU DECIDE TO INSTALL ONLY THE ROYAL MAIL MODULES AND NOT ANY OF THE COURIERS OR PARCEL FORCE MODULES, PLEASE OPEN THE ROYAL MAIL MODULES AND REMOVE THE LIMITS.

If you do not remove the limits and you have no other shipping modules installed, if someone buys something from you over �32.00, there will be no shipping option shown, hence your customer can checkout and pay �0.00 shipping.

To summarise, either install Royal Mail modules with a courier (Standard Parcels, Citylink or Parcelforce) or if you install the Royal Mail modules on their own, (RM 1st, RM 2nd, RM 1st REC or RM 2nd REC) edit the files to remove the limits.

INSTALLATION

==========

Only one file needs a change, for cosmetic reasons.

Step (1) Open catalog/checkout_shipping.php

-------------------------------------------

In checkout_confirmation, double brackets are shown and not required, so the below edit removes this.

[Find around Line 121 in catalog/checkout_shipping.php]

'title' => (($free_shipping == true) ? $quote[0]['methods'][0]['title'] : $quote[0]['module'] . ' (' . $quote[0]['methods'][0]['title'] . ')'),

[CHANGE TO]

'title' => (($free_shipping == true) ? $quote[0]['methods'][0]['title'] : $quote[0]['module'] . $quote[0]['methods'][0]['title']),

Step (2) Upload Shipping Modules

---------------------------------------

Each Shipping method has 3 files each, decide which shipping methods you want to install and upload the shipping file located in catalog/includes/modules/shipping/ and also its corresponding langauage file located in catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/ also included is an image icon, upload this into your images directory. Now goto your OSC admin panel modules-->shipping and adjust anything to suit your needs.

NOTES

=====

The prices in these contribs are shown inc of VAT at 17.5%, each module has a handling charge for example if you want to charge for jiffy bags, labels invoice paper etc.

PRICES

======

The scripts are automatically loaded with the prices located from Royal Mails and Parcel Forces website, these values can be seen below. I am fully aware, that these prices will vary depending if you have SmartStamp or PPI accounts with Royal Mail etc. If your prices are different just update whichever string below, and copy it into the contribution via your OSC admin panel/modules/shipping.

The strings shown below are defined as follows for weights in KG's (If you require grammes adjust accordingly, 0.1Kg = 100g etc)

.1:1,.25:1.27,.5:1.7

What this means, is that for all items under 0.1Kg (100g) the cost of delivery is �1.00, then for all items more than 0.1Kg but less than 0.25Kg the price of shipping is �1.27. Notice there are no spaces and each price division is separated by a comma.

Royal Mail First Class Standard (Packet Prices):

.1:1,.25:1.27,.5:1.7,.75:2.2,1:2.7,1.25:4.74,1.5:5.59,1.75:6.44,2:7.29,2.25:8.14

,2.5:8.99,2.75:9.84,3:10.69

Royal Mail Second Class Standard (Packet Prices):

.1:.84,.25:1.09,.5:1.39,.75:1.77,1:2.12

Royal Mail First Class Recorded (Packet Prices):

.1:1.68,.25:1.95,.5:2.38,.75:2.88,1:3.38,1.25:5.42,1.5:6.27,1.75:7.12,2:7.97,2.2

5:8.82,2.5:9.67,2.75:10.52,3:11.37

Royal Mail Second Class Recorded (Packet Prices):

.1:1.52,.25:1.77,.5:2.07,.75:2.45,1:2.8

Royal Mail Standard Parcels:

1:3.85,1.5:4.95,2:5.31,4:7.7,6:8.74,8:9.97,10:10.7,20:12.46

Royal Mail Special Delivery:

Royal Mail has 3 levels of special delivery depending on cost of items, these being upto �500, �1000 or �2500. The three lists can be seen below, the module uses the last one of �2500, change as neccessary via your admin panel, just copy and paste.

.1:4.1,.5:4.5,1:5.7,2:7.4,10:18.5

.1:4.6,.5:5,1:6.2,2:7.9,10:19

.1:5.6,.5:6,1:7.2,2:8.9,10:20

Initial CityLink Nextday: (Amend prices to suit your account if applicable)

Taken from http://www.initialcitylink.co.uk/services/...ces_pricing.php where 10Kg is �11.60 then �0.50 per Kg afterwards

10:11.6,15:14.1,20:16.60,25:19.1,30:21.6,35:24.1,40:26.6,45:29.1,50:31.6,55:34.1

,60:36.6,65:39.1,70:41.6,75:44.1,80:46.6,100:56.6,125:69.1,150:81.6,200:106.6

Parcel Force 48:

10:14.25,15:18.25,20:22.25,25:26.25,30:30.25,40:38.25,50:46.25,100:86.50

SUPPORT

=======

To keep this contribution clean, can I ask any other mod writters, if they find any

problems to post back in the forum and if applicable I will add these changes to the

next update. By doing it this way, other users will not be confused on which version

to download etc.

Thank you.

hello

what do i do with regards to VAT?

should i add vat to these prices or is it already included so i have to factor it into the vat element of my order?

look forward to a reply, looks a GREAT contribution!!!

regards

paul

Hi,

Great contribution, I've been using this for some time now, for all shipping types.

I want to improve options available to customers, and would like to add insurance, which varies depending on value, rather than adding a blanket insurance charge to the tables, I'd like to base on the shippers method of charging.

i.e. RM Special delivery offers standard £500 compensation, but has higher values available for an extra fee, which varies according to total insured value. As does Airsure etc.

Could we have this option incorporated into the contrib, so it calculates any additional insurance dependent on total order value?

This could be done via a table as the postal price is now, i.e. value:fee,value:fee etc.

It maybe usefull to have an admin tick box to enable/disable the option of insurance.

Perhaps a tick box for the customer to chose if insurance is required or not, and if not, a disclaimer field (setable in admin) to be displayed with a tick box that must be compleated before checkout is permitted in order to protect the vendor.

These would be really great additions to an already essential contribution.

Thanks again.

Andy

Well first of all thanks for this awesome contrib. It works really fine except one issue (which actualy doesnt seem to be serious)

the problem is its not showing the precise prices, it only show roundings like this:

shippingrb9.jpg

do you know how to quick fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I found the postage rate strings - they're hard-coded in each PHP file in the catalog>includes>modules>shipping. To get them active, edit the rate string, then go to Admin, remove the option, and re-install it.

If I finish editing before someone else does, I'll add the files to the contrib.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get this to work with the Google Checkout Module, as all my shipping options seem to be £0.00?

Thanks

Hi

Nice shipping module - worked straight out of the box for me.

I've added in the 17th Feb 2007 prices update from the contributions page - that works too but there is one error in the Zone 1 (Europe) value string - around halfway along there is a value 3.09

46:2.99,.48:3.09..5:3.19,.6:3.69,

after that you will see two periods ( ..) which should be a coma and a period ( ,. )

46:2.99,.48:3.09,.5:3.19,.6:3.69,

If you don't offer Airmail don't worry about it.

Installing this contibution is easy but you must read the instructions. You must also go to Admin > Configuration > Shipping/Packaging and set your tare weight to something more meaningful than the 3kg default - most folks also choose to make the Larger Packages Percentage Increase zero.

Read the instructions about the 3kg weight limit that the contribution has on Royal Mail options before kicking you into Parcel Force/Citilink - if you don't want to install Parcel Force or Citilink then you'll have to make some changes.

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've updated the prices to take into account the April 2007 Price Increases by Royal Mail. I've also duplicated them and made them into grammes to save you all the extra work that I've already put in....

Is Stuart still on this thread? I didn't want to update the contribution but it must be a pain for everyone to keep having to update the prices manually after install.

These updates can be copied and pasted into admin panel/modules/shipping for each shipping type.

===============================

PRICES UPDATED APRIL 2007 in Kg

===============================

I am fully aware, that these prices will vary depending if you have SmartStamp or PPI accounts with Royal Mail etc.

If your prices are different just update whichever string below, and copy it into the

contribution via yourOSC admin panel/modules/shipping.

The strings shown below are defined as follows for weights in KG's

What this means, is that for all items under 0.1Kg (100g) the cost of delivery is

£1.09, then for all items more than 0.1Kg but less than 0.25Kg the price of shipping

is £1.38. Notice there are no spaces and each price division is separated by a comma.

------------------------------------------------

.1:1.09,.25:1.38,.5:1.84,.75:2.38,1:2.92,1.25:4.25,1.5:5.00,1.75:5.75,2:6.50,2.2

5:7.25,2.5:8.00,2.75:8.75,3:9.50

-------------------------------------------------

.1:.92,.25:1.20,.5:1.52,.75:1.92,1:2.30

.1:1.79,.25:2.08,.5:2.54,.75:3.08,1:3.62,1.25:4.95,1.5:5.70,1.75:6.45,2:7.20,2.2

5:7.95,2.5:8.70,2.75:9.45,3:10.20

.1:1.62,.25:1.90,.5:2.22,.75:2.62,1:3.00

----------------------------

1:3.85,1.5:4.95,2:5.68,4:8.24,6:9.35,8:10.67,10:11.45,20:13.33

Royal Mail has 3 levels of special delivery depending on cost of items, these being

upto £500, £1000 or £2500. The three lists can be seen below, the module uses the last

one of £2500, change as neccessary via your admin panel, just copy and paste.

.1:4.3,.5:4.75,1:6.00,2:7.75,10:19.45

.1:4.85,.5:5.30,1:6.55,2:8.30,10:20.00

.1:5.85,.5:6.30,1:7.55,2:9.30,10:21.00

=======================================

PRICES UPDATED APRIL 2007 - in grammes

=======================================

I am fully aware, that these prices will vary depending if you have SmartStamp or PPI accounts with Royal Mail etc.

If your prices are different just update whichever string below, and copy it into the

contribution via yourOSC admin panel/modules/shipping.

The strings shown below are defined as follows for weights in grammes

What this means, is that for all items under 100g the cost of delivery is

£1.09, then for all items more than 100g but less than 250g the price of shipping

is £1.38. Notice there are no spaces and each price division is separated by a comma.

100:1.09,250:1.38,500:1.84,750:2.38,1000:2.92,1250:4.25,1500:5.00,1750:5.75,2000

:6.50,2250:7.25,2500:8.00,2750:8.75,3000:9.50

-------------------------------------------------

100:0.92,250:1.20,500:1.52,750:1.92,1000:2.30

100:1.79,250:2.08,500:2.54,750:3.08,1000:3.62,1250:4.95,1500:5.70,1750:6.45,2000

:7.20,2250:7.95,2500:8.70,2750:9.45,3000:10.20

100:1.62,250:1.90,500:2.22,750:2.62,1000:3.00

1000:3.85,1500:4.95,2000:5.68,4000:8.24,6000:9.35,8000:10.67,10000:11.45,20000:1

Royal Mail has 3 levels of special delivery depending on cost of items, these being

upto £500, £1000 or £2500. The three lists can be seen below, the module uses the last

one of £2500, change as neccessary via your admin panel, just copy and paste.

100:4.3,500:4.75,1000:6.00,2000:7.75,10000:19.45

100:4.85,500:5.30,1000:6.55,2000:8.30,10000:20.00

100:5.85,500:6.30,1000:7.55,2000:9.30,10000:21.00

Happy shipping! Sell lots! and lots! and lots!

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

PM me? - I'm not for hire

To clarify the problem when using a TARE weight:

Like others here I have recently experienced a problem with certain shipping options being displayed as £0.00 when I have an entry in Tare Weight in my shipping options.

An example - I had a cart with a 1kg item and have a standard Tare weight of 0.1(kg) set in my shipping options in the Configuration settings.

When this item came through to shipping, it correctly identified the weight on the screen as 1.1kg and displayed the error for Second Class Mail as exceeding the 1kg limit however it still displayed this option with a £0.00 rate as opposed to not displaying it.

The work around I currently have is to hack each shipping module php file and reduce the maximum weights by 0.1 however I cannot see why this is not picking up before this area.

EG, in 'rmsecond.php' on approx line 24 I am changing

if ($total_weight > 1.0)

to

if ($total_weight > 0.90)

I notice that this uses $total_weight for this parameter yet later on the weight is declared as $shipping_weight so these are obviously equal (ie $shipping_weight would appear to include the Tare weight and $total_weight would not)

I'm not proficient as following OOP so cannot spot any quick fix other than my hard coding the figures so can anyone help me please?

Regards

To clarify the problem when using a TARE weight:

Like others here I have recently experienced a problem with certain shipping options being displayed as £0.00 when I have an entry in Tare Weight in my shipping options.

An example - I had a cart with a 1kg item and have a standard Tare weight of 0.1(kg) set in my shipping options in the Configuration settings.

When this item came through to shipping, it correctly identified the weight on the screen as 1.1kg and displayed the error for Second Class Mail as exceeding the 1kg limit however it still displayed this option with a £0.00 rate as opposed to not displaying it.

The work around I currently have is to hack each shipping module php file and reduce the maximum weights by 0.1 however I cannot see why this is not picking up before this area.

EG, in 'rmsecond.php' on approx line 24 I am changing

if ($total_weight > 1.0)

to

if ($total_weight > 0.90)

I notice that this uses $total_weight for this parameter yet later on the weight is declared as $shipping_weight so these are obviously equal (ie $shipping_weight would appear to include the Tare weight and $total_weight would not)

I'm not proficient as following OOP so cannot spot any quick fix other than my hard coding the figures so can anyone help me please?

Regards

Ok, a quick play shows that $total_weight is the weight of the order without the tare weight. $shipping_weight is with tare weight so somehow the check needs to compare $shipping_weight to the maximum allowed weights.

Hi Jay,

I spent most of yersterday testing this module. I really like it but it does need tweaking / testing to see if it's working for what you want.

Personally, I enter correct weights for each product and I use tare weight (45g) to cover the packaging as that is extra weight which needs to be accounted for when calculating shipping. What I noticed was that the max shipping weight (in configuration) affects how this module works. It might be worth checking what yours is set too?? I reckon the tare weight should be usable. Have you enabled first class to cover items that weigh over 1kg? Seems like the £0.00 shows when there is not an option to use for overweight items? I had £0.00 showing before I installed RM std parcles.

I altered max weight for second class as I'm happy to send two packets second class to save money for the customer as I have a few low value items that are weighty - but needed to alter max weight in the file.

Check:

the max weight in config

that you have other mailing options installed

that the display order numbers are all different as duplications here affect whats displayed.

Tiger

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

PM me? - I'm not for hire

Hi Jay,

I spent most of yersterday testing this module. I really like it but it does need tweaking / testing to see if it's working for what you want.

Personally, I enter correct weights for each product and I use tare weight (45g) to cover the packaging as that is extra weight which needs to be accounted for when calculating shipping. What I noticed was that the max shipping weight (in configuration) affects how this module works. It might be worth checking what yours is set too?? I reckon the tare weight should be usable. Have you enabled first class to cover items that weigh over 1kg? Seems like the £0.00 shows when there is not an option to use for overweight items? I had £0.00 showing before I installed RM std parcles.

I altered max weight for second class as I'm happy to send two packets second class to save money for the customer as I have a few low value items that are weighty - but needed to alter max weight in the file.

Check:

the max weight in config

that you have other mailing options installed

that the display order numbers are all different as duplications here affect whats displayed.

Tiger

Thanks for the reply Tiger - I understand what you are saying but its down to the wrong variable being used to check for valid postal options in my opinion. I could alter the max weights but then I'd also need to alter the strings to allow for the postage to be increased everytime the weight increased by 1kg and this would make this particular method of postage uneconomical.

I simply need to have it so that the shipping weight is used as the comparison variable and not the weight of the order solely.

Cheers