• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SiteMonitor

Jack_mcs

Im getting this error at the top left hand corner when I click either of the 2 update buttons in admin:

Reference file creation failed.

Edited: there was a ( at the start of the root directory

Edited by Windows

Hmm, I've never seen anything like that. My guess is that the confiugre options are not setup correctly. Does SiteMonitor run if done manually: http://yoursite.com/admin/sitemonitor.php

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Rewrote configure page to allow for easier setup.

- Added option to delete the reference file after X many days (setting in the configure file).

- Cleaned up to code to add checks for a number of things, like if a host is running in safe mode.

- Added a button to run the script manually.

If you are upgrading, be sure to read the warning in the upgrade file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I implemented the upgrade but am getting the following error: Warning: opendir(http://www.lyonsperformance.com/catalog/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: not implemented in /mnt/w0207/d18/s05/b02d72b0/www/catalog/catalog/admin/includes/functions/sitemonitor_functions.php on line 102

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /mnt/w0207/d18/s05/b02d72b0/www/catalog/catalog/admin/includes/functions/sitemonitor_functions.php on line 104

Reference file creation failed.

Any ideas what caused this?

Try replacing your sitemonitor_configure.php file with the included one. It should set the path for you, which may be the problem. This assumes that SiteMonitor was working before. If not, that change probably won't help.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I seem to encounter a weird problem with site monitor: on a few occasions it detected several hundred mismatches and today even over 3000. But when I check the mismatches most of them date back from 2006. Even though I delete the reference file and create a new one, it regularly detects 2 year old changes. I thought that the contribution was checking the files on the server and comparing them to the reference file, so why does it still detect changes that took place years ago? Also, it detects a lot of size changes in pictures, but how can a picture size be modified if the actual picture hasn't been changed at all? I think I'm definitely missing something.

Please help.

Isabella

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Another strange one. Are the files always the same ones. That is, if you have a file named abc.jpg that was changed two years ago and SiteMonitor sees it as changed after a new reference file is created, if you create another reference file, does that same image show as changed or does it list others now? If it is the same image, try deleting it and uploading it again with a ftp program. Then rerun SiteMonitor. Does it still show up?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

if you have a file named abc.jpg that was changed two years ago and SiteMonitor sees it as changed after a new reference file is created, if you create another reference file, does that same image show as changed or does it list others now?

sometimes yes, other times no. I explain better: I have tried several times to create a new reference file after I noticed the detected changes took place years ago, I figured this way the reference file would take into account all files as they are now. After that I re-ran site monitor and at first it showed no mismatches, but after a few days it starts showing again the changes that were made years ago. On some occasions it shows the same files as before, on other occasions it finds other files, yesterday it detected over 3,000, most of them dating back to 2006, a few of them recent ones that I had made before creating a new reference file.

I know this sounds strange, but I swear it's the truth. :(

I see you made a new version, perhaps I should remove the old contribution and install the new one? just wondering

Isabella

Edited by Biancoblu

The new version doesn't handle the files any differently so it wouldn't fix your problem. I don't have an answer for you. All I can guess is something is going on with the host. The only way to verify that would be to try your shop on another host and see what happens. But you can't do that without moving hosts and that's a bit drastic for such a problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

yes, moving hosts just for that seems a bit OTT to me as well.

Reading my hosts' forums, they seem to reboot their servers very often due to their "going down" or "suddenly not responding", to use their own expression. Could that cause the problems with site monitor? (mind you, my files have never changed after their reboot).

Isabella

yes, moving hosts just for that seems a bit OTT to me as well.

Reading my hosts' forums, they seem to reboot their servers very often due to their "going down" or "suddenly not responding", to use their own expression. Could that cause the problems with site monitor? (mind you, my files have never changed after their reboot).

Isabella

Certainly does not seem likely.

What sort of files are you talking about, store files eg catalog and admin, or something else that isn't standard?

if you ask what kind of files site monitor detects as having been changed, the answer is all files, from catalog to admin to jpg to txt files, you name it.

I'm trying to understand why the contribution detects changes that either didn't take place at all or that occured 2 years ago, that's why I mentioned the host keeping doing reboots, if they're doing other things that may cause this weird problem, they're certainly not informing us about it.

Isabella

if you ask what kind of files site monitor detects as having been changed, the answer is all files, from catalog to admin to jpg to txt files, you name it.

I'm trying to understand why the contribution detects changes that either didn't take place at all or that occured 2 years ago, that's why I mentioned the host keeping doing reboots, if they're doing other things that may cause this weird problem, they're certainly not informing us about it.

Isabella

When you say files that were changed 2 years ago, is that going by the time stamp on the files?

Is the file size on the server the same as it was previously.

What happens if you create a new reference (and i sthe old reference actually deleted), then run site moitor,and run it again in a few minutes?

When you say files that were changed 2 years ago, is that going by the time stamp on the files?

I don't know about the time stamp on the files. I say they were changed 2 years ago because that's when we did the most work on the site, after that very few changes were made.

Is the file size on the server the same as it was previously.

I never used to check the file size on the server so I don't know what it was previously. When site monitor alerted me to file size changes I ran the files through a file comparing program to see what changes were made that were causing the size change, but none were made except the ones 2 years ago.

What happens if you create a new reference (and i sthe old reference actually deleted), then run site moitor,and run it again in a few minutes?

When I run it right after having created a new reference file it detects no mismatches, but after a few days it will detect thousands even though no changes have been made (except the ones 2 years ago). I know it's not possible, but it's as if the reference file keeps changing of its own accord and taking into account the site as it was 2 years ago. I must have a ghost on my server. :lol:

Isabella

I don't know about the time stamp on the files. I say they were changed 2 years ago because that's when we did the most work on the site, after that very few changes were made.

I never used to check the file size on the server so I don't know what it was previously. When site monitor alerted me to file size changes I ran the files through a file comparing program to see what changes were made that were causing the size change, but none were made except the ones 2 years ago.

When I run it right after having created a new reference file it detects no mismatches, but after a few days it will detect thousands even though no changes have been made (except the ones 2 years ago). I know it's not possible, but it's as if the reference file keeps changing of its own accord and taking into account the site as it was 2 years ago. I must have a ghost on my server. :lol:

Isabella

The server has plenty of spirit.

Why not put a dummy empty file in the root with a name of anything eg test4ghost.php and see if it disappears when the changes reoccur in sitemap (just in case the webhost is doing odd things). Just a thought.

Edited by Coopco

I wonder if you have a copy of your shop in your files and SiteMonitor is looking at it. Many shops will have a test shop or an old shop from where they moved from a sub-directory to the root. If that is the case, then the old files could still be there. Try uploading a new file to your shop (one not used by the shop). And run SiteMonitor without deleting the reference file. Is the new file seen?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@Leslie

Why not put a dummy empty file in the root with a name of anything eg test4ghost.php and see if it disappears when the changes reoccur in sitemap (just in case the webhost is doing odd things). Just a thought.

good suggestion, I've just uploaded a dummy file.

@Jack

I wonder if you have a copy of your shop in your files and SiteMonitor is looking at it. Many shops will have a test shop or an old shop from where they moved from a sub-directory to the root. If that is the case, then the old files could still be there. Try uploading a new file to your shop (one not used by the shop). And run SiteMonitor without deleting the reference file. Is the new file seen?

Yes I do have a copy of the old shop on the server, plus a copy of the original osc package, and the full site backups.

Do you mean I should upload a test file to the actual shop? (not the copy of the old one?), if that's what you mean, I have uploaded a dummy like Leslie suggested then ran sitemonitor without deleting the reference file.

It found the new file.

Another thing is it found "Time Mismatch on .htaccess Last Changed on Friday, 18 Jul 2008 13:22:11 GMT", but again my .htaccess wasn't changed (I checked).....so why is it saying that?

Isabella

Do you have all of those extra shops excluded in the SiteMonitor settings? I would try to eliminate as much as possible in the settings and see what happens.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Do you have all of those extra shops excluded in the SiteMonitor settings? I would try to eliminate as much as possible in the settings and see what happens.

Jack

That sounds like it is the way to go (I excluded webaliser and who is so that only the shop files are checked).

@Jack and Leslie

sorry but I've just realised that those copies of old shop files and backups are in fact not located in public_html, they're located one level up, so SiteMonitor doesn't check those, does it?

And in the exclude drop down menu, only the files under public_html are there so I can't exclude those that are located one level up. Is that correct?

Isabella

@Jack and Leslie

sorry but I've just realised that those copies of old shop files and backups are in fact not located in public_html, they're located one level up, so SiteMonitor doesn't check those, does it?

And in the exclude drop down menu, only the files under public_html are there so I can't exclude those that are located one level up. Is that correct?

Isabella

If you can browse to a folder in site monitor exclude (if you know what I mean), you can exclude it.

Maybe it's me not knowing how to, but I can't browse any folders that are above.

Isabella

What about beloe? Ren't the old stuff below or equal?

Leslie, I tried to pm you but it appears you don't have the feature enabled.

My old stuff is located above, not below, not at the same level. Which is why I don't think I can exclude it. If yes, how?

Isabella