• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Like omg, how do i ...

Seb1UK

Password protect my "catalog/admin", it briefly explained how to, but i didn't understand

can anyone give me a step by step, or expplain in more detail?

If your host provides cpanel or some kind of admin area with a "password protected areas" that is the easiest way.Some hosts require .htaccess and .htpasswrd. if this is your caes try this tutorial:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

"No matter where you go....There you are" - Buccaroo Bonsai

Thanks buddy, here's my new probelm then.

AuthName "Restricted Area"

AuthType Basic

AuthUserFile /.htpasswd

AuthGroupFile /dev/null

require valid-user

Is this the right code for .htaccess?

the .htpasswd is in the same folder of .htaccess

i put in the password and the user and it wont let me in!!

Thanks buddy, here's my new probelm then.

AuthName "Restricted Area"

AuthType Basic

AuthUserFile /.htpasswd

AuthGroupFile /dev/null

require valid-user

Is this the right code for .htaccess?

the .htpasswd is in the same folder of .htaccess

i put in the password and the user and it wont let me in!!

on the AuthUserFile you have to put the full path to the file.

did you generate the code from the web site in previous post? It works great.

you may need to get the full path to the file from your host provider. mine was pretty long, not just /directory/filename.

took me 4 hours to get it right. ( I,m a noobie at this). the .htpassword file should be in a directory above the catalog directory. Since i placed my store in the root without the catalog folder i had no access to higher levels and had to put it into a folder that the public could not access.

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

on the AuthUserFile you have to put the full path to the file.

did you generate the code from the web site in previous post? It works great.

you may need to get the full path to the file from your host provider. mine was pretty long, not just /directory/filename.

took me 4 hours to get it right. ( I,m a noobie at this). the .htpassword file should be in a directory above the catalog directory. Since i placed my store in the root without the catalog folder i had no access to higher levels and had to put it into a folder that the public could not access.

If you go to catalog/admin/includes/configure.php and look for this:

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', right after that is the absolute path to the admin directory. copy that as your absolute path then you just need to edit the last part of the path to point to the file. Paste it where it asks for the path on the website mentioned previously.

My Contributions

Password Protect Admin

I had the same problem. Was pointing to all the right files, created the .htpasswd file in a root directory, not accessible from the web and was locating it properly but it wouldn't work.

Then I found this tutorial which explains how to actually create the .htpasswd file. I was just touching and creating it. This ended up fixing the problem for me.

http://catalyst.washington.edu/how-to/htaccess/htpasswd.htm

Maybe it will work for you too.

If you go to catalog/admin/includes/configure.php and look for this:

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', right after that is the absolute path to the admin directory. copy that as your absolute path then you just need to edit the last part of the path to point to the file. Paste it where it asks for the path on the website mentioned previously.

This worked great, all done and dusted thanks a bunch.

Archived