• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Uploading a table/database of our own

CustomSoftwareUK

Hi all

I have now successfuly FTP'd OScommerce onto our server and made all the adjustments as per the advice on this website. I am not expert yet on php and MySql but willing to have a go.

I have created and deleted several new categories on the site and also made some cosmetic changes (colours and gifs etc) to learn the process.

With that in mind, my questions here are:

1. If I have a list of music titles with artist, title, UPC barcode, price, jpg image etc (I can amend the structure and export them in to more or less anything, e.g. Excel, Visual FoxPro table, Access etc), how do I upload this file into my site and make OScommerce read it or make changes so I can just upload a list if and when required

2. Can someone suggest the easiest/most efficient format to store the file before upload

I hope that makes sense guys and thanks in anticipation of some replies

Lee

enigma1

I have downloaded what you have suggested and I'll look into it over the next few days and post back with a result.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Lee

enigma1 (or other forum user) - Everything has been uploaded and as I have saved all my code in the root directory and not CATALOG I am looking for the section where it says,

"If you have changed the directory structure of your OSC install (i.e. you don't have /catalog/temp/ in your document root anymore), then you'll need to go into easypopulate.php and change the setting of "$tempdir"."

Well I can find the easypopulate link but I cant find the settings link to change $tempdir (Unles it is staring me in the face)

Many thanks

Lee

Look into your osc Admin the settings for easy populate, one of the is to setup the temp directory.

Hi enigma1

I manage to find and edit the code in the php file. I'm still getting used to the terminology.

Just downloaded and uploaded a file with no error messages.

Many thanks

Lee

All

Things are picking up as I know have the structure to work with and sort of understand the principle of adding additional titles etc to the file. I have read there shouldn't be spaces after the last line and a particular word (EOREOR) must be at the end of every title.

When I saved the file and tried to upload it I got this error:

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/php4aVjQt

User filename: EP2006Jun30-1301.txt

Size: 3918

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's'' at line 4

SELECT man.manufacturers_id FROM manufacturers as man WHERE man.manufacturers_name = 'CD's'

[TEP STOP]

I have tried to upload the original file I downloaded without any changes but I still get the same error. So why does it work ont he server with no errors but when it's re-uploaded (if thats the correct term), there is an error?

There are a few sollutons on this forum but they end with ... at line 20 or different numbers other than 4.

Can anyone help or suggest a course of action?

Many thanks

Lee

For anyone interested whilst searching forum, the above issue has now been resolved and works perfectly. One thing to look out for though, dont have the character ' anywhere in any of your fields. For example we have some DVD and CD categories. Originally we had DVD's and CD's which caused a problem in the MySQL statement (See the answer here: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...603&page=1)

I also found out that wording such as, Greatest Hit's caused problems so this was changed to Greatest Hits. All appears working at this point but there is a minor issue I'm working that when you upload the self populated list of our own it adds a category called --none-

If anyone reads this, please could they post the solution if they know it (I will look elsewhere in the meantime).

Thank you

Lee

Archived