• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Your suggestions please.

warrenerjm

Hi

I have would appreciate any comments/suggestions for my site. I was totally new to everything IT before I started this & know it still looks stock, but I do like how easy it is to navigate.

I know one comment will be SSL, but my Host won't enable it on a shared server. I do have OpenSSL enabled & have asked on another thread if this is another option, but had no response. My payment is through NoChex who do have the SSL.

I have done done a bit of SEO & am getting results from the search engines. Need to be brave & do Ultimate URL's & Froogle feed.

My Website

Thanks for your time.

Julie

Hi,

I love the look of your site, and i don't think it looks too stock at all. You've obviously put a lot of work into the site, and it shows with smooth navigation and easy to follow links.

I would query the small print above the logo, if these are for the search engines benefit, then meta tags would be far more use, if they are for customers information, the text is far too small to read!

You've obviously also thought about SEO, with plenty of related links.

There is nothing obvious that i can see where the site has a weakness other than the text at the top, well done!

Ben

Hi,

I love the look of your site, and i don't think it looks too stock at all. You've obviously put a lot of work into the site, and it shows with smooth navigation and easy to follow links.

I would query the small print above the logo, if these are for the search engines benefit, then meta tags would be far more use, if they are for customers information, the text is far too small to read!

You've obviously also thought about SEO, with plenty of related links.

There is nothing obvious that i can see where the site has a weakness other than the text at the top, well done!

Ben

Thank you for looking & replying Ben.

The small print above the header is for SEO, & a friend did that for me. It seems to work, & is generally only repeating what is in the main script, so not really to be read, although it can just be. I do also have header tags,sitemap,google xml sitemap, spiders.txt, robots.txt installed, which is great for CEO & have done lots of searching for relevant links & listings.

Are there any other suggestions for contributions to add, changes to make etc from anyone?

I'm keen to listen & learn. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Julie

I just had one more thought - with regard to the script at the top of the page, why not make it the same font colour as the background. That way it is invisible to any customers, but not to search engines.

Ben

I just had one more thought - with regard to the script at the top of the page, why not make it the same font colour as the background. That way it is invisible to any customers, but not to search engines.

Ben

You could do that but isn't that bad for search engines as it is classed as hidden text (white something I think)?

Julie

Hi Julie,

A few things that I noticed:

The buttons do not match the rest of your site.

All the infoboxes on the left create too much white space when one click's on a product. You should eliminate some boxes or move some infoboxes to the right to even things out.

Other then that I like the colors that you used for your site.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Thank you for your comments andyy15.

The buttons do not match the rest of your site.

Yes & I would love them to match but I do not know how. I do not have any software or knowledge & the free one suggested I couldn't figure out how to get the right font colour etc :blush: If anyone is able to show me I would be VERY grateful. :D

All the infoboxes on the left create too much white space when one click's on a product. You should eliminate some boxes or move some infoboxes to the right to even things out.

I'm not sure about this. I'll have another look. I only wanted the two columns, left & middle, so I don't want to go back to a right column. Where is the white space please? What browser are you looking in?

Thanks again. It is good to get feedback from neutrals. :thumbsup:

Julie

To change the buttons to match the rest of your site you will have to use some sort of image editor such as photoshop. Then replace all the files located here: /public_html/includes/languages/english/images/buttons

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

To change the buttons to match the rest of your site you will have to use some sort of image editor such as photoshop. Then replace all the files located here: /public_html/includes/languages/english/images/buttons

Yep, but I don't have Photoshop & can't afford it at the mo. I will get it asap & change them to my blue, which I agree will look much better.

Thanks

Julie :thumbsup:

Hi Andrew

I have now found...& figured out, the OSC button generator. I now have buttons that match, better, the site. :thumbsup:

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Julie

Julie,

Looks great to me! I'm very envious!

Where did you manage to get the style for the layout? Did you work on them yourself or use some kind of contribution? I'm currently using the OSCommerce standard install and to me, that looks "fine"... I'm colour blind though, so I'm not sure if it's just me not really seeing or just ignoring the colour elements. When I see sites like yours I realise how bland mine is.

Also, where did you get your "We proudle accept" box from?

Cheers, Gary

Julie,

Looks great to me! I'm very envious!

Where did you manage to get the style for the layout? Did you work on them yourself or use some kind of contribution? I'm currently using the OSCommerce standard install and to me, that looks "fine"... I'm colour blind though, so I'm not sure if it's just me not really seeing or just ignoring the colour elements. When I see sites like yours I realise how bland mine is.

Also, where did you get your "We proudle accept" box from?

Cheers, Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for your comments. I have the same stock as you, only I have got rid of the right hand column & added the fixed width contribution & some colour . The "We proudly accept box" is the Credit Card in a box contribution. (can't find at the moment) :-"

I have spent lots of hours reading as much of OSC as I can & picking up hints & tips, as well as getting alot of help from the helpful members of this forum.

Thanks for replying, as it all helps me understand what others see & think. Lots still click on the front page & leave though :( Still onwards & upwards. :D Glad it is still being reviewed & still open for any more advise. :thumbsup:

Julie

Julie,

I've looked again at your site and the only thing I think (not being an expert please take this with a pinch of salt) is it has a lot of categories. Is there any way to condense them slightly?

Julie,

I've looked again at your site and the only thing I think (not being an expert please take this with a pinch of salt) is it has a lot of categories. Is there any way to condense them slightly?

Hi Gary

Good point. Craft stores do generally have alot of categories. I guess due to the different products & the customers know how they are normally listed. I will look & see if I can reduce it slightly, but it will probably only be one or two.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Julie

Archived