• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just finish Designing (Review Please)

I just finish with most of the design still have a few things to add but I know how I want it. I'm in the process of adding items and all now. If you can give me some feedback on my store It would be much appreciated thanks.

The CD Mall

First impression is good but you surely know, that you need to add a lot more to your store.

1) The logo is missing.

2) The product available text in product info is unreadable red on grey.

3) You've got language options english, german, spanish but your template is just english. Either add the other languages or disable them.

4) No address, no phone number, no shipping, no conditions, no privacy.

5) You offer CD's for 6 $. Here in Ireland you pay 15-20 Euro per disk. Are they second hand? If so, you should state that somewhere.

6) Image quality could be better. Maybe install a thumbnail contribution to reduce load time.

7) There is more red text on grey when creating account etc. Definitely need to change that. It's very hard to read.

I guess a lot of this is already on your to-do list. Keep up the good work and make your store most valuable for your customers. There are loads of similar shops out there, you need to be better than them.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

The design must have been really hard work - all that downloading:

http://www.templatemonster.com/oscommerce-...lates/9361.html

Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

Thanks for wasting my time. I should really keep up to date with the of the shelf templates. Then I would have realised that despite putting in a few products you haven't changed anything yet.

I'll be more reluctant with my feedback in the future and work on my own shop instead.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Thanks for wasting my time. I should really keep up to date with the of the shelf templates. Then I would have realised that despite putting in a few products you haven't changed anything yet.

I'll be more reluctant with my feedback in the future and work on my own shop instead.

abra

What ever I have changed a few things like I said. You all act like I'm trying to take credit for the template. Guess you all are stuck up or something. I was asking for input so I can change it, You will see it when I'm done but all jokes aside rather I get banned or what not you guys are some real ass holes sorry forum but they are.

lol @ this thread...

site looks good, sort the red text out though :)

as for the person from ireland, looks like mixtapes that are listed, so you wont be paying the price we pay in the UK ;)

dunno what some peoples problems are really, I cant actually see what the guys done or said to warrant your replies!

I cant actually see what the guys done or said to warrant your replies!

Well isn't the title of this thread "Just finish Designing (Review Please)" implying that this site is using a totally custom design ?

If you ask for a design review, shouldn't it have read somewhere in the intro post that the basis is a bought template and some finetuning is being done for X,Y,Z ... I think people are feeling mislead / fooled ...

My instant reaction to the site was, howcome this is not a computer shop - I'm more used to see such a template used for a hardware store, not for CD's so I felt the template and product are not realling working well together. This is probably purely based on me being conditioned to seeing demo templates practically always selling computer stuff :D

Anyhow, you need to take care of the issues listed by abra123cadabra, to actually make this template shop into a real shop.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Well isn't the title of this thread "Just finish Designing (Review Please)" implying that this site is using a totally custom design ?

If you ask for a design review, shouldn't it have read somewhere in the intro post that the basis is a bought template and some finetuning is being done for X,Y,Z ... I think people are feeling mislead / fooled ...

My instant reaction to the site was, howcome this is not a computer shop - I'm more used to see such a template used for a hardware store, not for CD's so I felt the template and product are not realling working well together. This is probably purely based on me being conditioned to seeing demo templates practically always selling computer stuff :D

Anyhow, you need to take care of the issues listed by abra123cadabra, to actually make this template shop into a real shop.

Thanks, Carine!

I don't mind to check out some changes someone made. I even don't care if the rest of the site is still out of the box or the raw template. Just don't mislead when asking for feedback. Be precise with what you ask people to do. I even think it helps to ask on feedback in the process of changing things because your changes might not have the effect you try to achieve. Just look at my own thread that made me realise that for one or the other reason navigation on my site was not obvious enough.

That's the purpose of this forum for me. Give feedback on the shop or features therein and tell me if they work for you... to finally increase my conversion rate.

So just start with the things I mentioned earlier and you'll get there and feel free to ask for more feedback when you made some changes/additions to see if you are heading in the right direction.

abra

Thanks, Carine!

I don't mind to check out some changes someone made. I even don't care if the rest of the site is still out of the box or the raw template. Just don't mislead when asking for feedback. Be precise with what you ask people to do. I even think it helps to ask on feedback in the process of changing things because your changes might not have the effect you try to achieve. Just look at my own thread that made me realise that for one or the other reason navigation on my site was not obvious enough.

That's the purpose of this forum for me. Give feedback on the shop or features therein and tell me if they work for you... to finally increase my conversion rate.

So just start with the things I mentioned earlier and you'll get there and feel free to ask for more feedback when you made some changes/additions to see if you are heading in the right direction.

abra

Well thank you and I'm truly sorry if it seemed I was trying to mislead you. I was just trying to get some feedback on the design itself such as the fonts, size, colors etc. I changed a few things like I said but still felt like something was missing.

. I changed a few things like I said but still felt like something was missing.

Yes, like proper coding - the template monster templates are very shoddy. Just a few things which need sorting:

-> Language support. The flags are there, but none of their buttons/text actually are actually coded to allow for multi-language support. Why even have the British flag when you don't offer other languages? And why British when you're US?

-> On most templates, the log in button does not change to log off, giving customes no secure method of leaving the shop.

-> the hardcoded log in / account etc. buttons do not link to a secure page (even if you have a SSL Cert installed)

in addition - the red letters on dark grey are not readable and the font size is too small to read without increasing in my browser.

- and your shop has no logo

- and there doesn't seem to be any SSL Cert.

Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

Yes, like proper coding - the template monster templates are very shoddy. Just a few things which need sorting:

-> Language support. The flags are there, but none of their buttons/text actually are actually coded to allow for multi-language support. Why even have the British flag when you don't offer other languages? And why British when you're US?

-> On most templates, the log in button does not change to log off, giving customes no secure method of leaving the shop.

-> the hardcoded log in / account etc. buttons do not link to a secure page (even if you have a SSL Cert installed)

in addition - the red letters on dark grey are not readable and the font size is too small to read without increasing in my browser.

- and your shop has no logo

- and there doesn't seem to be any SSL Cert.

Terra

Thanks, I'm thinking about starting over and designing from scratch I was just told that If I try to add a contr. it will break up the template. Is that true?

The contributions are written for the standard osCom shop, so any modified version (inc your template) requires some TLC to get it right. I woudn't recommend starting from scratch though as it's not any easier. You've already got the template and whenever you modify your shop you will need PHP skills, so I'd recommend to read up about HTML/PHP and start working with the template you have got. Some contribus might not need any modifying, others a lot - it really all depends on the coding. Just give it a go (and back up your files first!) Terra

The contributions are written for the standard osCom shop, so any modified version (inc your template) requires some TLC to get it right. I woudn't recommend starting from scratch though as it's not any easier. You've already got the template and whenever you modify your shop you will need PHP skills, so I'd recommend to read up about HTML/PHP and start working with the template you have got. Some contribus might not need any modifying, others a lot - it really all depends on the coding. Just give it a go (and back up your files first!) Terra

Yeah I got html and php experience. I have a forum but when you change something it supports templates and all so I guess I can try. Thanks.

I think the word template is actually misleading - the stuff from Template Monsters is basically a modified osCom shop, they've changed base code to force it into a HTML "pretty look". Think of it as a modified version or fork, that's much closer to the truth. Terra

I think the word template is actually misleading - the stuff from Template Monsters is basically a modified osCom shop, they've changed base code to force it into a HTML "pretty look". Think of it as a modified version or fork, that's much closer to the truth. Terra

so it can be done if I know what I'm looking at?

so it can be done if I know what I'm looking at?

It's just PHP - so, yes.

Does anyone here use google adsense on their store? i have alot of space on the left and right and trying to see if I should try to fill in with 1 or 2 google ads. Thanks

Archived