• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

This is my new online shop...I need several feedback

happyday

Hi Trang,

it's not been too long ago that I had a look at your store for the first time.

There are still a few things that you can improve to make the shopping experience easier for your visitors.

For example when you sell candleholders, instead of this:

Don't forget this item ***Unscented Votive Candles Set of 6 $8.95 - item number 35847 to your shopping cart.

It's in the category "Candles & Scents", under the listing "Unscented Candles".

put a link to the product in question. Don't make me remember what to click to get to the candles. One click, I'm on the product info for the candles, second click it's in my cart.

In general, I would show more than 4 products at once. If those 4 I see first in the category don't appeal to me, I'll not click next to see if there might be something else I'd like.

You removed the free shipping offer which could be a good selling point.

There is still the issue with the prices in US$. Your explanation is in reality an excuse for not converting the currency to your local currency. Just tell me, why I would not benefit from your suppliers being in USA, when you use the current exchange rate.

It's ok that you don't accept international wireless cheques but you don't need to state that other banks might have a similar policy. I don't care about other banks and you don't need my understanding for this. Just tell me, that you only accept them for orders from Canada and that's it.

I already had the impression from your previous posts and from the texts on your site that you are not sure that this shop is going to work. You are explaining things that don't need to be explained. Think positive and into the future.

First of all, get your shop listed in the relevant directories to create backlinks that will get google interested in listing more pages. You might want to look into some SEO contribution for better search engine results. You need to direct traffic to your shop. Since when is your shop reachable and what have you done to advertise it? How much traffic do you get on average? Did you submit your shop to the live shops section?

The main thing when opening an online store is to keep faith in what you are doing and to have patience to wait for the customers.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

I'd like to see a few words on your home page. What are you selling? Who are you? Yes, I know you have an About Us page, but right on the home page I like to see a Step Inside to find... blah, blah. Search engines like this too. Make it sexy - "Make your house a home with those lovely little decorator touches..."

Also, your about us page is lacking. It says "I'm a person who sells stuff and wants your trust..." That's pretty much it. Make the site your own - put up a picture of yourself or your dog or your cat if you don't want to put one up of yourself or your "team" if more than one person works on your site. Tell them what your hobbies are or why you opened the store. People who don't care, won't care, but the ones who do will feel like they are getting to know you a bit and THAT brings trust (along with good customer service, of course).

Abra was absolutely right about the products per page - 4 is defintely not enough. At a minimum go to 6 and the pages won't even get any longer. Now there is a big white space at the bottom and it leads me to believe there are no more products in the category. However, 8 or 10 would probably be even better.

I know it's at the top, but it wasn't immediately clear to me that prices were in US $ versus CA $. Maybe you should put US $ on each price to avoid confusion.

Good luck,

Adrienne

Hello everyone...I've been working on my site for a while now...and I have not received any customers...Could you tell me what I'am doing wrong...I feel that my site is not a seller...that there is something missing to my site....

www.serenityhd.ca

thanks

very nice looking site... but why should i buy products from you instead of pier 1 or yankee candle or bed bath and beyond? i can touch and smell them in person....

add some motivation why you are better than a physical store...

todd

www.sockit.net

Dear Happyday,

Have you been advertising your site? Have you been looking into ways that you can advertise in your local area? Why dont you take some of your stock to a local craft fair to let people know you locally and they can contact a real person. This method will work well to start but....

Initially when I decided to set up my own business I had began to use the same model. I had the -exact- same products you do, They are -widely- available and can be purchased at so called wholesale pricing by anyone so I think you should look into some more unique merchandise. People tend to shop on the net for unique, difficult to find items. Use this type of merchandise as a filler and not the meat of your website. When your using dropshippers (I assume you are dropshipping due to the nature of the merchandise and adailability of dropshippers that carry it) you need to differentiate from the competition. (i.e. Enhanced availability of customer service, personal shopping) But most importantly drive customers to your site!

Just to see where you stand in the market. Look up the names of any of the products you sell on e-bay or through google look at the prices they charge. The page itself looks good and I love the format.

Shelby

Shelby certainly has a point about the merchandise you sell.

Just a little example for one of your "todays special offers" (which are by the way exactly the same offers as a couple of days ago; gives me the impression you don't change your special offers on a daily basis so why not at least call them offers of the week?) I googled a bit and found it almost half price. So customers who are looking for this special item are certainly not buying from you. We are talking 10$ here. You have to be competitive!

When I calculate my prices I always check the competition and try to be just that tiny bit cheaper. In the end it's the shipping that makes the difference for my products.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Hi Trang,

it's not been too long ago that I had a look at your store for the first time.

There are still a few things that you can improve to make the shopping experience easier for your visitors.

For example when you sell candleholders, instead of this:

put a link to the product in question. Don't make me remember what to click to get to the candles. One click, I'm on the product info for the candles, second click it's in my cart.

In general, I would show more than 4 products at once. If those 4 I see first in the category don't appeal to me, I'll not click next to see if there might be something else I'd like.

You removed the free shipping offer which could be a good selling point.

There is still the issue with the prices in US$. Your explanation is in reality an excuse for not converting the currency to your local currency. Just tell me, why I would not benefit from your suppliers being in USA, when you use the current exchange rate.

It's ok that you don't accept international wireless cheques but you don't need to state that other banks might have a similar policy. I don't care about other banks and you don't need my understanding for this. Just tell me, that you only accept them for orders from Canada and that's it.

I already had the impression from your previous posts and from the texts on your site that you are not sure that this shop is going to work. You are explaining things that don't need to be explained. Think positive and into the future.

First of all, get your shop listed in the relevant directories to create backlinks that will get google interested in listing more pages. You might want to look into some SEO contribution for better search engine results. You need to direct traffic to your shop. Since when is your shop reachable and what have you done to advertise it? How much traffic do you get on average? Did you submit your shop to the live shops section?

The main thing when opening an online store is to keep faith in what you are doing and to have patience to wait for the customers.

abra

Thanks for your honesty Abra.

I will change add an extra link to the candleholders so that customer will not have to remember the link for the candles.

About the 4 products at once I've been searching for a contribution for this. I want to show more than for products but I don't know how to. I've been adding other contributions and it mess up my site and now I'm debating if I should go back and search for more contribution.

By any chance do you know how to add more products to one page?

About $US price...I have a catalog and the prices are in US dollar. If I sell them in CAD I would lose profit. Unless you could help me with a reason. I know this is a stupid question. :blush: :'(

Regarding traffic...I have search around for sites that allow me to add my site free to search engine. I don't know if they are doing the job for me or not. Because I having been getting any customers. I advertise my site on ADwords and did not get a good result either. I end up paying money to the company so I stop that.

I don't even know how many traffic I get on average and how do I find out?

How do I sumit my shop to live shop sections?

Thanks

Trang

I'd like to see a few words on your home page. What are you selling? Who are you? Yes, I know you have an About Us page, but right on the home page I like to see a Step Inside to find... blah, blah. Search engines like this too. Make it sexy - "Make your house a home with those lovely little decorator touches..."

Also, your about us page is lacking. It says "I'm a person who sells stuff and wants your trust..." That's pretty much it. Make the site your own - put up a picture of yourself or your dog or your cat if you don't want to put one up of yourself or your "team" if more than one person works on your site. Tell them what your hobbies are or why you opened the store. People who don't care, won't care, but the ones who do will feel like they are getting to know you a bit and THAT brings trust (along with good customer service, of course).

Abra was absolutely right about the products per page - 4 is defintely not enough. At a minimum go to 6 and the pages won't even get any longer. Now there is a big white space at the bottom and it leads me to believe there are no more products in the category. However, 8 or 10 would probably be even better.

I know it's at the top, but it wasn't immediately clear to me that prices were in US $ versus CA $. Maybe you should put US $ on each price to avoid confusion.

Good luck,

Adrienne

I don't know how to add a few words on my homepage. See I bought this template and this is what I get.

Do you know any contribution for adding a few words above the products...I've tried to add a home page but then I ended up messing up my site.

You have a good point. thanks

You need to sort out the hardcoded http link in the template header for the Account page. You do have full ssl installed so this link should be https.

Vger

You need to sort out the hardcoded http link in the template header for the Account page. You do have full ssl installed so this link should be https.

Vger

How do I change it to https?

Archived