• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to put index.ph in root

dj07

My hosting "ipowerweb" does not allows me to do a root folder install , instead i have to create a folder for oscommerce.

I installed in a folder like : /oscom/ then moved everything from that folder to the main root and erased that folder.

now everything works from a web browser but i can not log as administrator from my admin

i noticed that my vdeck still shows as the install is still in that folder an so when i try to log in it tells me that it can`t find it.Since i can not acces the administrator panel i can`t add products to it.

I want my index.php to be in the root folder so to be my main page , but they sugested that i just do an install in a created folder and then do a redirect to my index.php on that folder.

they states that for security purposes oscommerce can`t install in the root folder

they states that for security purposes oscommerce can`t install in the root folder

I would find a new hosting company.

Anyway, all you should need to do is modify your includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files to remove the reference to the oscom folder and everything should work. Just get to your store's admin from the browser rather than your vdeck.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I use Ipowerweb to host all my client's OSC stores and most of those are at root level.

IPower's OSC installer is pretty crap - I've emailed them about it before and they said they'd pass it onto their Dev Team but nothing was ever done. It's bad for the reason you outline but also because when you specify a directory to install it (/store) for example, it installs it in the catalog directory, *inside* /store/. Shame - because they are actually a good host for OSC.

The quickest and best ways to get OSC into the root is install it using IPower's installer in vDeck. Check the install worked in a browser and if so, pull down the two config files locally. Then grab a fresh copy of OSC from the OSC site (http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads), extract the zip to your PC and FTP all the files inside the /catalog/ folder up to the root level of your store.

Then modify the paths inside your two local config files (that you pulled down earlier) and then FTP them up to their relevant folders.

The database will already have been created, and the config files already prepopulated when you installed the store. Browse to your new root level OSC store ;-)

Thank you guys for your help.I tried both wasy : installed osc from the vdeck , tried log in admin and made sure everything worked. then ftp and moved everything from /catalog to root level as well as /.htpasswds and mysql_catalog.sql and configured both /includes.php and all seems to work .Now i went ahead and erased my vdeck install wich it was just the empty folder and just left the install at root level.

Everything seems to work but can`t edit products or change admin configurations as i can not log in to admin not from vdeck neither from a browser .

From the vdeck it can not find the osc install as i erased and do not look for the install at root level, and from the browser when i type mywebsite/admin the log in pop up appears but doesn`t work with my user and password and i`m 200% sure i`m doing it right as i tried in vdeck before i erased the vdeck install .

Am i supposed to leave the vdeck install in there? and just copy everything to root level or do a fresh install at root level??

Please help

Edit the admin/.htaccess file and check that the path to the password file is correct after the move.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

you don't have to move any SQL files. When you run the installer, the OSC database is created and populated and the connection strings are set up in configure.php.

All you have to do is move all the files and folders inside /catalog/ to the root and it should work. Don't worry about moving/creating/deleting htaccess and folders and files - just get it working first.

Once it's working then use vDeck to password protect your Admin and delete the files and folders inside the catalog/ folder (leaving the ones in the root)

Are you sure you amended the paths in teh configure.php files? You should have removed any references to /catalog/ etc.

Edit the admin/.htaccess file and check that the path to the password file is correct after the move.

:rolleyes: That really did the trick......../.htaccess was pointing to the previous path, just hade to update the path ...thanks a lot Daemonj

Now when i go to admin interface via Vdeck it still shows as if the install is in the previous folder i erased instead of showing the install in the root folder hence when i try to log in i get the error it can not be found .

As i already erased that folder...Is there any way to tell vdeck or the oscommerce admin in vdeck to look for /admin in the root folder instead???

And again thanks all for the help

dude - you don't need Vdeck once OSC has been installed - forget all about it. Yes it will give the wrong path names - that's because it doesn't work properly.

You can see all the files it installed if you open up FTP, the database it installed in PhpMyAdmin and the store itself in a web browser.

There are *two* config files - the admin one is in /admin/includes/configure.php

Make sure the paths are correct - that's why you probably can't see your Admin

dude - you don't need Vdeck once OSC has been installed - forget all about it. Yes it will give the wrong path names - that's because it doesn't work properly.

You can see all the files it installed if you open up FTP, the database it installed in PhpMyAdmin and the store itself in a web browser.

There are *two* config files - the admin one is in /admin/includes/configure.php

Make sure the paths are correct - that's why you probably can't see your Admin

Well i guess you are right.The install works perfect now , only i can no access via vdeck but thats not big deal thanks

Archived