• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Heavy modifications

rosemary

I appreciate the expert opinions of the osCommerce users here . . .

The presentation layer of osCommerce has a very professional look and feel. Nonetheless, we already have a web site with a specific design that is very different from osCommerce. Because osCommerce has such top-notch e-commerce functionalities built-in, we would like to integrate its e-commerce functionalities but still stick with our design (look and feel) of our web site. Therefore, I suspect that we will need to make some heavy modifications in the presentation layer.

Specifically, this is our web site:

http://www.growingconsciousness.com/emarket/

Which way would be easier for such modifications:

* Modify the osCommerce files directly to reflect our own design, or

* Plug in all the scripts that make osCommerce functionalities possible into our own files?

Grateful for any comments, advice, suggestions! :)

Sincerely,

Rosemary

Which way would be easier for such modifications:

* Modify the osCommerce files directly to reflect our own design, or

* Plug in all the scripts that make osCommerce functionalities possible into our own files?

The first one ;-) Take your existing page elements and integrate them into OSC - the other way would be nigh on impossible.

The first one ;-) Take your existing page elements and integrate them into OSC - the other way would be nigh on impossible.

Thanks, Jason, for the suggestion! I guess that's why everyone I've read about here so far is doing it with the first method in my question.

Rosemary

Woof, Jason, this wasn't easy!!! >_< I was eager to try as you suggested . . . stayed up all night (8 hours) and just got the header.php file done . . . but I did figure out how to integrate my existing design elements into the OSC file. I hope all the functionalities are intact though . . . no way to know now until I mod more sections of the site. I think the other pages are not going to be so "easy".

I can see what you meant by doing it the other way would be nigh on impossible.

One thing is good that the modifications are done once & good for all the pages.

Well, gotta get some zzzzzz!

Rosemary

Don't worry - your first store is always the hardest!! The more and more familiar you become with OSC and it's related technologies, the quicker and easier it becomes to reskin it. It took me two weeks to do my first OSC store - I could realistically do the same job now in 3-4 days.

This forum is a great resource though so anytime you get stuck, post your problem and someone, somewhere will normally provide the answer.

Good luck.

Archived