• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Google results of indexed pages drops

Andreas2003

Hi there,

got a problem (maybe) :

I started my site end of april this year.

I started also, giving my URL to most of the search engines, that are known.

Then, during May and beginning of June, I noticed a raise in activity of search engines on my site.

Yahoo, MSN etc. got my site first, around 2006-06-03.

Google ? No way ! Results stayed at Zero.

But I submitted my sitemap to Google and Google was the most active SE on my site.

Then, my site appeared on Google beginning 2006-06-13 as well with 1 result on "indexed Pages" (IP) and "Contain URL" (CU).

On 2006-06-19 I got 155 results on IP and CU.

This was raising through the next days, hitting a peek on 2006-06-22 with 302 results.

But now, results are dropping :blink:

Next day, it was only 270, next day only 168.

Today I havent checked it.

Other results on other Search engines are stable.

Can anyone tell me what happened here ?

Thank you in advance,

regards

Andreas

If you havent done anything you shouldn't then welcome to the Google sandbox. The same thing happened to me. The links will go up and down, you will rank high for a couple of days and then drop off to nowhere. Give it about 8-12 months and it will be normal then. Spend this time working on good link building and optimization.

MSN should be the first one that gives you traffic, then yahoo. Google will be last.

If you havent done anything you shouldn't then welcome to the Google sandbox.

Really ? Are your sure ? I thought, that the google sandbox had hit me in the beginning until the very first link in google appeared. After the links were going up, I thought, I left the sandbox.

Had Google dropped you during this time completely ? Or was there always a little remaining in Google?

Thanks in advance,

regards

Andreas

Send google an email and ask them if you have any penalties.

Maybe an idea, but do you think, that they are answering such emails ?

I think, that you will receive a general answer like the rules for webmasters are written.

Regards

Andreas

Javaroasters is right it can take some time with google.

There are lots of mods you can do to osc to help things in google.

For instance:

Ultimate SEO URLS

Header tags controller

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

They answered my email and told me I had no penalties. It may take some time though. But really if you are not breaking any of googles guidelines then I'm sure you are not in the sandbox.

My understanding is that the sandbox is not about breaking guidelines. It is the normal procedure that a new site goes through on its way to being indexed on Google. That said many people think the sandbox doesn't even exist. Highly controversial topic.

@ddp

I have the Header Tag controller installed and is working fine.

Ultimate SEO ? Dont know exactly, why I should need that.

Search engines (I read from google) can handle php-URLs with up to three parameters.

So I thought, I have no problem.

@all

I also think, that the sandbox is not about breaking guidelines.

I agree to docprego, that new sites have to go through.

@crimble crumble

where did you find the address to write to ?

What I have found with my new site is that MSN and Google treated me really well to start. Google then dropped off to nothing and MSN continued to treat me well. Yahoo was a few months behind MSN but I seem to be ending up with roughly the same positions in the two.

Google will come around one day, they are showing a bit now but not enough to make an impact on the store.

Just concentrate on the on site optimization (header tags and ultimate seo urls) and see that the SE's are displaying the info you want them to. Tweek things a bit if needed. Make sure you have good text on your pages and the site is easy to navigate, etc.

And off site things such as submitting to directories, forums, writing articles, blogs, rss, etc.

It all takes time and that should keep you busy until you start showing up in the rankings. Just don't make rash decisions based on a few days results.

• 4 weeks later...
My understanding is that the sandbox is not about breaking guidelines. It is the normal procedure that a new site goes through on its way to being indexed on Google. That said many people think the sandbox doesn't even exist. Highly controversial topic.

There were 5 brand new sites that were created around May 26th 2006, and by about the 15th of June each had 9 BILLION PAGES in the Google index. The trick that the spammer used was links to other TLDs that were gibberish. So say they had www.example.com that's a directory, the links on that page would link to a8na.example.com or 8ajj.example.com, etc. They had a wildcard TLD match, and managed to fool the G :)

So whatever happened at the end of June was a quick fix to prevent this type of thing. Hopefully a longer, more thought out fix will le our SERPs comeback.

BTW: I got the G investor email yesterday, and between April 1 and June 30th, they hired about 1,200 employees :

<snip>

On a worldwide basis, Google employed 7,942 full-time employees as of June 30, 2006, up from 6,790 full time employees as of March 31, 2006.

</snip>

That's amazing that they can absorb 400 new employees a month.

When i first started my site and submitted to google , after about a month , i checked my page rankings with the google toolbar on IE . It reported a rank of 1 for my index page and a few other pages as well. Now , a few months down the line the page rank has gone to 0 ?

is this normal ?

Google visits my site regular and i have checked on google with a "site:www.mysite.com" search and lots of pages appear for me.

Is this normal or sandboxed ?

Now I want to expand the discussion, because also Yahoo and Yahoo-related search engines dropped my site (like Altavista).

Only MSN has indexed pages in their results.

This happened from one day to the other.

Nothing has changed on my site, all header tags are maintained.

Need some advise what to do to get indexed once again and staying in the results (more) constantly.

This drop was shocking me depply, because I thought, that only Google is a problem.

Thank you very much for your advise in advance,

kind regards

Andreas

PS: I have no backlinks yet, but working on them. I also have no bad neighborhood advertisement.

Please explain GSITE CRAWLER

GSite Crawler is a Google Sitemap Generator.

Its an external program, URL is http://gsitecrawler.com/.

But I see more sense in using a contribution for oscommerce, because its then all one system.

eMail for asking Google, and as you see in my last post, also for Yahoo would also be interesting for me.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Andreas

• 2 months later...
What I have found with my new site is that MSN and Google treated me really well to start. Google then dropped off to nothing and MSN continued to treat me well. Yahoo was a few months behind MSN but I seem to be ending up with roughly the same positions in the two.

Google will come around one day, they are showing a bit now but not enough to make an impact on the store.

Just concentrate on the on site optimization (header tags and ultimate seo urls) and see that the SE's are displaying the info you want them to. Tweek things a bit if needed. Make sure you have good text on your pages and the site is easy to navigate, etc.

And off site things such as submitting to directories, forums, writing articles, blogs, rss, etc.

It all takes time and that should keep you busy until you start showing up in the rankings. Just don't make rash decisions based on a few days results.

How long it took you to get to ranking of 4?

I noticed that you do have 9 pages indexed by Google.

Is it a good idea to check keywords and check the rankings?

I have a tool that tells me where my pages are indexed, but they change daily from position #1 to drop...Go figure...

I also noticed websites that have 2 or 3 times more traffic than my website, but only have a couple of pages index by Google where I have about 140+...

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Monito

Ultimate SEO (just installed)

Meta tags installed since 2/2006

I just changed to the Header Tags Controller

P.S. Very nice site...

Archived