• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using keywords in comment tags for Search

Macisle

I would like to make my OSC Search feature more accurate. I have it configured to automatically search the product description text.

In order to do this, it seems that as many likely search terms as possible need to be put in the description text area on the product info page.

However, to do this in the visible description text would be too awkward. I tested using search terms inside html comment tags and this seems to work very well.

My question to the forum is -- does this solution have drawbacks? Specifically, will Search Engines like Google think I am trying to cheat on ranking by hiding keywords in the comment tags and penalize my site?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Macisle

You could save yourself some time and install one of the many meta tag contributions. Header tags controller is a great one. Does title, keyword, description and allows for category descriptions to show on the category pages as well as product specific tags. It will fill in the basic tags automatically but you can also add some manually on a per category/per product basis. Hope that makes sense.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,207

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thank you, Wendy.

I already use that Contribution. However, what I am looking for is to improve the accuracy of my OSC product search feature, not my site Search Engine ranking.

(FYI, I tried putting keywords in the Header Tag Controller product keywords field, but OSC search does not see them there. )

Like I said, putting likely search terms inside html comment tags in the product description text area seems to work very well for getting the OSC product search to find things.

I am worried, however, that there may be drawbacks like Google thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one if I do it that way.

Thanks.

Macisle

Thank you, Wendy.

I already use that Contribution. However, what I am looking for is to improve the accuracy of my OSC product search feature, not my site Search Engine ranking.

(FYI, I tried putting keywords in the Header Tag Controller product keywords field, but OSC search does not see them there. )

Like I said, putting likely search terms inside html comment tags in the product description text area seems to work very well for getting the OSC product search to find things.

I am worried, however, that there may be drawbacks like Google thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one if I do it that way.

Thanks.

Macisle

let your site search also search in your header tag fields. There you can put any phrase without it displaying.

Treasurer MFC

This search box enhancement contribution adds the ability to search the descriptions... is that what you are looking for?

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1496

After putting that I see you already have it searching the descriptions... I would think that search engines would find the comments to be a doubling up and probably a bad thing but I don't know about search engines as much as I should.... go ahead and ignore this post. : )

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived