• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do you test parallel to live store

jonswaino

I've been trying to install a few contributions, and most of them have been quite successful.

However, recently I tried to install the Ultimate SEO Url contribution without success. I ended up instead with a broken store.

This got me thinking, what is the best way of installing contributions with minimal risk? Do I have to have another parallel website to test or is there an easier way?

With so many people having installed contributions over time, I can't help but wonder how they are managing it. I can't imagine they install all the contributions in one go and then go live because with most shops they are evolving over time...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

The best way is to install a mini-server on your computer using something like EasyPHP (there are several such packages and they are free). It allows you to display your site on your computer just as if it were a real site. When you are done, just upload the changed files to the live site. Or, you can create a sub-directory on your server and make the changes there. You will need to create a duplicate database and your hosting plan will have to allow you the option to do so as well as the disk space needed. It is more work doing it this way though.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...
The best way is to install a mini-server on your computer using something like EasyPHP (there are several such packages and they are free). It allows you to display your site on your computer just as if it were a real site. When you are done, just upload the changed files to the live site. Or, you can create a sub-directory on your server and make the changes there. You will need to create a duplicate database and your hosting plan will have to allow you the option to do so as well as the disk space needed. It is more work doing it this way though.

Jack

Thanks thats great! Next time we do some big changes we'll give that a go!

Archived