• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hyperlink to 'Top' goes to domain root

rolex911

How can i change the location of where the top hyperlink points to? I run several carts in one hosting account and the top budget kicks users out of the subdirectory store and takes them to the cart store that is in the higher/root file directory of the hosting account.

please help

thomas

how can i run several cart stores from one hosting account. I have sevral domain names I can use.

How can i change the location of where the top hyperlink points to? I run several carts in one hosting account and the top budget kicks users out of the subdirectory store and takes them to the cart store that is in the higher/root file directory of the hosting account.

please help

thomas

how can i run several cart stores from one hosting account. I have sevral domain names I can use.

What are your settings in includes/configure.php?

particularly lines 16 - 24 or so where HTTP_SERVER and the like are assigned values.

If each store has a unique domain name then each:

define('HTTP_SERVER', ''); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

should have a value such as

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://tomsrolexstore.com');

What are your settings in includes/configure.php?

particularly lines 16 - 24 or so where HTTP_SERVER and the like are assigned values.

If each store has a unique domain name then each:

define('HTTP_SERVER', ''); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

should have a value such as

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://tomsrolexstore.com');

thanks for the response. you clearly know alot more about this than me.

so if i want to run multiple carts from the same host account. can i define a specific directory on the same domain? for example

I would have one oscommerce cart install at www.normlstore.com/1/oscommerce/catalog and www.normlstore.com/2/oscommerce/catalog

I would then use the following code lines in each oscommerce installs configure.php

store # 1

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'www.normlstore.com/1/');

and store #2

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'www.normlstore.com/2/');

would the top button then take them to the top of the appropriate store? Would it be the index.htmlin that directory since there is no index.php in the root of that directory?

The reason I want to run multiple stores/cart installs is because i sell tshirts and dont want to put too many tshirts in one store. they would not be of the same topic and the customer could get confused.

I hoped to divide the shirts into carious stores that I could market separately. I am ok to have each store checkout independently of each other.

Am I taking the long way to achieve this?

pleas help. i am very grateful.

thomas

san francisco

www.normlstore.com/oscommerce/catalog

Why not just comment out the Top link so that Catalog is the first item in the breadcrumb?

Around line 462, find:

// include the breadcrumb class and start the breadcrumb trail
 require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
 $breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
 $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

and change the next to last line to be:

//  $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Why not just comment out the Top link so that Catalog is the first item in the breadcrumb?

I like Daemonj's suggestion better than mine if you plan to use a single domain name for more than one store.

Your original post mentioned having several domain names to use, but your subsequent post mentioned using one domain name for multiple stores.

It think the design idea behind the "Top" link was for sites which had a "home" page that wasn't the OSCommerce storefront mebbe? I'm just speculating.

On a related note, if your different stores are going to have unique brands, then you may want to at least consider using unique domain names for them.

I apologize if i misspoke. I do have several domain names and I can get more. I only have one hosting space. So I would like to forward each of my domains to a unique store (a unique oscommerce install on the same hosted space.)

For this, I should comment out the top button/link correct? so it will not go up to the root domain.

I also noticed that every install of oscommerce that I do onto this hosted space uses the http:server of the first domain I registered to this hosting space.

So yes, I need many stores in one host4ed space. I agree that I should have many domain names. I just cannot imagine how this can work in one hosting directory. I mean, they only give me one puclic_html space. I guess witin that there will be the installs correct? Like www.normlstore.com/oscommerce1 then www.normlstore.com/oscommerce2, www.normlstore.com/oscommerce3 . Then the new domain names would point to the catalog.php page of the appropriate store???

I think I am close, but I cannot stop confusing myself. Is anyone else doing many stores/cart installs in one hosted space?

thanks for all help,

thomas san fran

I apologize if i misspoke. I do have several domain names and I can get more. I only have one hosting space. So I would like to forward each of my domains to a unique store (a unique oscommerce install on the same hosted space.)

For this, I should comment out the top button/link correct? so it will not go up to the root domain.

I also noticed that every install of oscommerce that I do onto this hosted space uses the http:server of the first domain I registered to this hosting space.

So yes, I need many stores in one host4ed space. I agree that I should have many domain names. I just cannot imagine how this can work in one hosting directory. I mean, they only give me one puclic_html space. I guess witin that there will be the installs correct? Like www.normlstore.com/oscommerce1 then www.normlstore.com/oscommerce2, www.normlstore.com/oscommerce3 . Then the new domain names would point to the catalog.php page of the appropriate store???

I think I am close, but I cannot stop confusing myself. Is anyone else doing many stores/cart installs in one hosted space?

thanks for all help,

thomas san fran

I would not say that you misspoke so much as I failed to understand. :)

So yeah, if your hosting provider only allows one domain name per hosting space, then yes, you should probably go ahead and follow Daemonj's suggestion and just comment out the Top link in the code.

Should you later on figure out a way to host each store in its own domain space then it won't be a big deal to uncomment the code back to its prior state.

As for hosting several domains in one space it is in theory possible but whether or not your hosting provider will configure it for you (or whether there is a way to do it yourself via control panel or something) is between you and your hosting provider.

This is what I would like to do. 1 hosting account, 5 domain names, 5 stores.

Yes, I can host up to 5 domains in my hosting space. But I cannot figure out the way to maake it work with multiple oscommerce shopping carts.

I have one directory where my host allows me to upload files. When I install oscommerce, a folder is created in this directory. Lets say the folder name is oscommerce1. this would contain one store and its database. If my url for this store was www.gypsybay.com. I would forward that domain to this url for example http://www.myhostingaccount.com/oscommerce1/catalog.php

I would then install store 2 in folder oscommerce2 and direct the second domain to www.gypsybay2.com/oscommerce2/catalog.php

and so on and so on. I guess i could install many stores in the same hosting space in this manner.

my only difficulty is the top button. it will take me to the top of the http server right?

How can I setup these cart installs to make this happen?

thanks

thomas

This is what I would like to do. 1 hosting account, 5 domain names, 5 stores.

Yes, I can host up to 5 domains in my hosting space. But I cannot figure out the way to maake it work with multiple oscommerce shopping carts.

I have one directory where my host allows me to upload files. When I install oscommerce, a folder is created in this directory. Lets say the folder name is oscommerce1. this would contain one store and its database. If my url for this store was www.gypsybay.com. I would forward that domain to this url for example http://www.myhostingaccount.com/oscommerce1/catalog.php

I would then install store 2 in folder oscommerce2 and direct the second domain to www.gypsybay2.com/oscommerce2/catalog.php

and so on and so on. I guess i could install many stores in the same hosting space in this manner.

my only difficulty is the top button. it will take me to the top of the http server right?

How can I setup these cart installs to make this happen?

If each domain points to a unique folder, and you have a complete oscommerce install in that folder and you configure configure.php correctly, then the Top link should resolve to the root of each domain name correctly. You should be fine.

The best way to find out if it works would be to set one up and see what happens. :)

Archived