• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie, that knows nothing :(

Muldrick

OK, (go ahead and flame)

Complete newbie, I have done stuff usings MS Frontpage and have an existing web site created with that.

I want to create another site using eCommerce, but I know nothing about how it works.

So, questions:

Is there some type of starter package...to where I can buy a domain name, hosting space etc, to where I can have this set up.

I mean, some hosting places don't use certain stuff, like PHP and what not, so I don't want to use the wrong place. I use Acenet for my current site.

I saw the post about setting it up, and Step 1: "Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel".

Yeah, go ahead and shake your head, but I'm lost at step 1 :blush:

Should I not bother doing this?

Can someone hold my hand through this...do it for me :rolleyes:

Lost...... <puts on flame suit>

Thanks

Hi Try qawebhosting.com They can give you the full hosting package, web name and database setup using mySQL.

they were donig a one off offer of Hosting for Life at about ?80. and a domain name for about ?15 for 2 years.

The guy running the business is Phil Day and the service is really good.

Tell him I sent you

Regards

Turan

Any webhost that'll allow you to have a database and supports php will work. However, this being an ecommerce app, reliability's pretty important. I'm pretty pissy at my webhost (Verizon Business Webhosting), so I don't recommend them. What I do, however, recommend is that you go out and read a bunch of reviews of various webhosts before you make any final decisions.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Thanks for the replies on web hosting. I think Acenet will do ok. I really like their 5GB space and 100GB bandwidth (70 bucks a year) They also support My SQL and PHP. I'm allready with them for my current web site anyway. (Service has been perfect)

I don't suppose I can use some of that 5GB space for a "sub-site", to start this new eComm site?

Really, my biggest problem is figuring out how to set up this new eComm site.

Thanks for the replies on web hosting. I think Acenet will do ok. I really like their 5GB space and 100GB bandwidth (70 bucks a year) They also support My SQL and PHP. I'm allready with them for my current web site anyway. (Service has been perfect)

I don't suppose I can use some of that 5GB space for a "sub-site", to start this new eComm site?

Really, my biggest problem is figuring out how to set up this new eComm site.

First things first, does your host have a control panel? If so, check in there for scripts they have ready to install for you - many hosts actually have OsCommerce there, so that would save you all headaches installing. I use Lunarpages hosting, and they have this feature - I know many others do too.

First things first, does your host have a control panel? If so, check in there for scripts they have ready to install for you - many hosts actually have OsCommerce there, so that would save you all headaches installing. I use Lunarpages hosting, and they have this feature - I know many others do too.

Went into CP, found the following: CGI Center, Fantastico, Agora shopping cart, php mychat room, search engine submit.

I guess that rules that out. I emailed them to ask about this.

Are you saying I could go with Lunarpages hosting and be ready to go?

I also emailed a friend, to see if he can help me set this up.

Wait, saw this:

Quote:

Overview

The Scripts Library area provides an easy to use method of installing and uninstalling complex scripts that can be included on your web site. The scripts are very functional and can add exciting features to your site including, content management systems, blogs, guestbooks, image galleries, etc.

You may see many scripts that are available for installation which are not listed below. Scripts are defined by their Vendor. Only scripts offered by cPanel are certified and tested by cPanel. Please use caution when accepting or installing scripts from vendors other than cPanel.

The following scripts are available currently through cPanel:

b2evolution

Mambo

AgoraCart

WordPress

Nucleus

osCommerce

YaBB

PostNuke

Coppermine

phpBB

Xoops

Advanced Guestbook

e107

phpWiki

cPSupport

Geeklog

phpMyChat

The main page of the scripts library will show you how many of each type of script you have installed as well as the scripts that are available for you to install. To find out more about modifying or installing scripts, move on to Installing Addon Scripts.

END QUOTE

I guess it does support it?

Fantastico is where you should look for OsCommerce. There should be a menu on the left with various categories, OsCommerce being in Ecommerce or Carts or something, click it and it should give you a few sentences about OsC and a link to "new installation." It'll walk you through the rest.

Guess I should've asked if it's pre-installed?

Which I just did.

waiting for their reply

(BTW: for some reason I can't edit my posts)

Well I got a reply saying it is pre-installed:

"Hi Richard,

Yes, it is preinstalled. Simply login to the cPanel and auto-install it through Fantastico".

Well I got a reply saying it is pre-installed:

"Hi Richard,

Yes, it is preinstalled. Simply login to the cPanel and auto-install it through Fantastico".

So I'm good there. Guess back to my other question. Can I have a "sub-web" at (my) Ace-net.

Should create it first? What would it look like?

www.my_current_web.com/my_sub_web. Something like that?

or "mysubweb.mycurrentweb.com"

So I'm good there. Guess back to my other question. Can I have a "sub-web" at (my) Ace-net.

Should create it first? What would it look like?

www.my_current_web.com/my_sub_web. Something like that?

or "mysubweb.mycurrentweb.com"

Which (I think) I just did:

Site Management Tools / SubDomains

SubDomain Added

Bind reloading on frost using rndc zone: [customcarputers.com] The subdomain, eglobal-mart.customcarputers.com has been added.

Archived