• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question about "who's online"

hutt5

I've been watching "who's online" in my admin on and off for a while. Not getting a lot of people ... yet ;) but what I did see I don't quite understand...

Sometimes I've seen the same IP repeated 5 or more times, all on different pages of the cart - all within a second or two of each other. How are they doing that? Is it some kind of Bot that scans through a shopping cart? Sometimes I see them on "checkout_shipping.php" for example, but there's nothing in their cart. Are they just scanning pages?

Also, quite a few of them are IPs for Microsoft, some Google. I don't think MS has employees just sitting around browsing through the internet when they should be working... or is that what they're working on?

And with all this... no one signs up as a customer or buys anything. LOL! Oh well... I can be patient... :-" Anyway, if anyone could shed some light on what I'm looking at, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Lauren

I installed the supertracker contribution. It gives you a bit more information about who is/was in your shop and what they did.

Much more fun than the standard who's online report while you are waiting for customers *lol*

Your microsoft visitors might be the msnbot. In general some bots have different ips and crawl your site simultaneously. They basically go where a normal link leads to. They don't follow submit buttons as far as I know.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

I also noticed something weird w/ an AOL ip address. I went into who's online and it said there were 56 customers online...now that would be great, but they were all very similar ips, variations of the same AOL ip. I assumed it had something to do w/ how the AOL browser works (or doesn't :P )......have you ever seen that w/ AOL IPs?

I think it's time for me to get supertracker also :thumbsup:

I haven't seen this with aol but maybe aol has bots too that crawl around the web.

The supertracker contrib is just nice when you startup and wait for the visitors. I can still keep track of each single one... Later it might come in handy to do some real analysis of who came from where etc.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

I installed the supertracker contribution. It gives you a bit more information about who is/was in your shop and what they did.

Much more fun than the standard who's online report while you are waiting for customers *lol*

Your microsoft visitors might be the msnbot. In general some bots have different ips and crawl your site simultaneously. They basically go where a normal link leads to. They don't follow submit buttons as far as I know.

abra

Thanks abra! I took a look at the Supertracker contrib.... scary! lol I'll try to get up the nerve to install it, but messing with the database scares me. Changing regular files I can handle... database stuff... I don't know. LOL

Lauren

Archived