• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I edit my site?

costanza

Hello,

I am new with using osCommerce so I'm sure this question will be obvious to most of you. I just finished installing the osCommerce. Now, I am tyring to figure out how to edit the actual contents of my site.

Is it possible to use Frontpage? if so, how? Are there any other programs that are recommended to use (I know very little HTML?

Also, how exactly do I had a template?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel

for the code you will need a php editor.

free

http://www.mpsoftware.dk/

and there are of course plenty of commercial ones.

As of the html part on the database see the htmlarea contribution. You could use it for the products description for instance. FP or FW they are also ok for that part. But I wouldn't even think using them to do coding.

Hi there you might want to spend some time reading up on the forums.

There is also some great information available in the links in my signature.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Is Dreamweaver a php editor?

ok, so I guess I need to download the files from my site, open them in the php editor and then upload them back up to the site after I edited them.

Am I close?

If so, how do I know what files to download?

Thanks alot for your help - I feel like I am slowly getting there.

ddp - I've been searching the forum fot the past few hours - thats how i got through the installation. But i'm kind of stuck on this one. Thanks for your help though.

Is Dreamweaver a php editor?

ok, so I guess I need to download the files from my site, open them in the php editor and then upload them back up to the site after I edited them.

Am I close?

If so, how do I know what files to download?

Thanks alot for your help - I feel like I am slowly getting there.

ddp - I've been searching the forum fot the past few hours - thats how i got through the installation. But i'm kind of stuck on this one. Thanks for your help though.

You and me both, brother :/

I know nothing about php and to be honest, I'd rather pay someone to do it for me, if folks didn't try to charge three arms and a leg to do it :P

The documentation isn't laid out too great and unless I'm missing something, it says pretty much nothing about customizing the appearance, but I will check out the link the other fellow posted.

I suppose my biggest issue is with the custom computer creator add on. I'm thinking 'wtf is this and how's it work?' :(

You and me both, brother :/

I know nothing about php and to be honest, I'd rather pay someone to do it for me, if folks didn't try to charge three arms and a leg to do it :P

The documentation isn't laid out too great and unless I'm missing something, it says pretty much nothing about customizing the appearance, but I will check out the link the other fellow posted.

I suppose my biggest issue is with the custom computer creator add on. I'm thinking 'wtf is this and how's it work?' :(

Dreamweaver will work but it is easier to edit the STS contribution because it looks a little more like HTML layout. Also if you are using easyphp in order to see your changes you need to open your browser to localhost and refresh after changes are made. trying to preview through dreamweaver won't work.

You will also find that the index.php handles the layout of several pages. look through the posts for info about changing colors etc.. for the boxes headers etc.

also if you copy your entire www folder and put it in a folder then if you make a irreversable mistake you can always just copy over and start anew. good luck!

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

"No matter where you go....There you are" - Buccaroo Bonsai

Is there a way do view and edit the PHP pages in a non PHP format - the same way Frontpage works for HTML pages?

Or do I have no choice but to understand the php language and edit it myself?

Good idea. My main issue is with customizing the appearance.

It's almost a shame that oscommerce is open source, as I'd pay for an easy to use solution that would let me use my own html, or that would make it very very easy to customize :(

It takes some patience, and a lot of reading / searching but it's not impossible.

To get started, you don't need to KNOW php, you just need to be AWARE of it. I read that somewhere, and it's so true.

I didn't know anything about PHP until I joined here...you can see it wasn't so long ago. :huh:

I have a long way to go, but I've made a lot of progress.

I find it's usually unnecessary to ask questions. The answers are already here. I use the google toolbar to search this site when I need an answer. I've learned a lot from doing that.

Be patient and do some reading here...it will pay off.

Just figure out how to do the first thing, and you'll get hooked. Understand the first thing, and the second thing won't be so tough, and so on and so on. ;)

HELP!!! I have just been reading through the responses as far as customizing. I find that some items if deleted from the code will cause the entire page to disappear, of course placed back all returns to normal, except the changes I want to effect aren't happening. There was someone in the post mentioning using Dreamweaver to do the editing - does this work? Do I have to download the shop site to my local to work on it best? Following this tangent, if I do use Dreamweaver, editing the page in a local stage, could I do a save as function and go through all of the trial and error before actually effecting the remote shop site? I know there are a lot of questions but not being html or php savy I am looking for any kind of help.

Thanks,

Michael

Archived