• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My very first site and store

Cathi

I know this site doesn't come close to what some of you have done, and I still have a lot more work to do. (especially the SEO part) This is the first time I have done any kind of website or worked with code at all, and I'd like to thank all of you who patiently answered my questions.

Contributions used are: estimated shipping, language box, category descriptions, happiPix, PWA, discount codes. There might be one or two more that I'm forgetting. If so, I apologize to their creators. :blush:

I know that I need to get a light box so that I can take better photographs, and I will be doing that soon. Otherwise, how is it coming along so far?

I have a main site, and then I linked the catalog off of that, so I'm not sure which link you guys want.

Main site or just the osC cart

This is a LIVE site, so please don't place orders unless you really do want the items billed and shipped. :D

OK, I'm closing my eyes and hitting submit now.... :P :P :P Be gentle... ;)

Cathi

Nice items you have to offer. It's a shame that you don't ship to Europe.

Anyway, some things I noticed:

- You'll need to add more text to the products. I had a look at Dat but missed information on what it is made of. This is mentionend in the category description but not with each individual item.

- The images are ok. Good to have more than one when you are selling art items.

- The wavy background is continued in the infoboxes but the waves don't "continue" through the boxes properly. Difficult to explain. They are offset.

- What I really miss is information about you/your shop. Who are you, where are you, how can I reach you? Show me that you are a real business with phone number and postal address (at least).

- Your URLs are very long, too long and probably not very useful for search engine listing. Maybe you can add ultimate seo url or something similar. Moving the shop closer to the root directory might also be a good idea. Not sure if your hosting option is really good for business.

Here a link to one of your products: http://dancingcactusimports.netfirms.com/s...&products_id=35

dancingcactusimports.netfirms.com/store/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=35

Good luck with your shop,

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Thanks Abra. I appreciate your thoughts, I know you always do a pretty thorough review.

I'll go back and add more text to the products, at least that's a pretty easy fix. :)

I noticed that the waves don't line up also, but I don't know how to make them do so. I didn't really like it with white boxes, so I'll keep playing with it.

I'll add a duplicate of the about us page that is on the main site. That way in case people reach the osC pages without going through the main site, they'll have the information. Or maybe I can just link back to the existing page through the infobox. Thanks.

My host does provide instructions for giving the shop a shorter address, but they are WAY over my head. I'm also not sure if the instructions they are giving will work for me the way I have it linked from my main site. Looking at the URL you copied, I realize that shortening them is more important than I originally thought, so I will try studying it some more, or failing that, I guess it would be smart to pay for an hour or two of someone's time to do that for me. (or show me how).

Thanks again for taking a look.

Cathi

PS for everyone....two contributions I used that I forgot to mention above are the drop-shadow infoboxes and the About Paypal infobox

About the infoboxes background issue. It happens when your boxes (which are tables with tablecells) are not multiples of your background image. Pretty difficult to get this right. I once had a webpage with a checked background and tablecells with information in it. I ended up calculating precisely the table height and width so that it worked. No idea though, if it is worth the effort to do this with your shop. Otherwise you could visually separate the infoboxes from the main page background by say putting a border around them. Anyway, it's only a minor issue as the colours involved are not that strong and it is not too eyecatching.

To just put a link to your splash page for the contact details (address, phone etc.) might not be a good solution. I came via your main entrance and when I decided to have a look where you are located, I already forgot that it was on the first page I saw. Not sure if people remember what's on the splash page when it is pretty obvious that this is what it is. Just a page where you need to finde the "click here to enter" section.

You'll be surprised where people enter your shop. They ususally don't come through the front door. Especially when you get traffic via the search engines this will certainly be a backdoor.

My shop is "open", meaning connected to the web, for almost a month now and I was quite sparse with product information. Basically I'm selling German brand foodstuffs so I expect people to search for the exact brand name. I'm not doing too bad with the products I already added to my shop. Google has me listed in first or second position for a majority of the products. I'll add more information, using the keyword density etc.

You are selling completely different items so it is more crucial to figure out how customers will find your shop. I guess it boils down to getting the keywords right, getting properly indexed by the search engines and a good marketing strategy. All things one should have thought about before "opening" the online shop. It's a huge learning process. And sometimes you have to learn the hard way!

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

cool first site. nice logo! i agree with the previous reviewer about being a little more descriptive about your products. the wavy background could possible just be in the header and maybe have a plain white for the rest of the page?

when you click on the category alebrijes, the font is bold and rather large. it might look a little better with a smaller font and not bold.

if you want to enhance a bit, you could start with the product info page. i never really liked the name of the product and the price that big. maybe organize it a little differently (make it smaller) and add it below with the measurements and description. maybe have all the pictures on one row also. you also have 'write a review' and product reviews on the page. maybe combine these (i'm all about making things simple)?

good luck!

john

www.redteeth.com

I agree, I don't really like the way the name and price display, plus I don't think you can even see the price way up there when you're looking at the product. I hadn't thought before about changing it. I'm guessing that I look in product_info.php?

The alebrije font does kind of jump off the page at you, :P . I'll try some different things with that.

Thanks for your comments.

Cathi

Just looking at Daisy the coyote - cute description hehehee That's a nice added touch - being witty, yet descriptive.

Not sure if it would look better - and better use of the product info page - but do: main picture, product description, then additional photos?

Header - the large red button that has your company name on it - when you hover your mouse over it I get: SIGN_IN_TO_YOUR_DANCING_CACTUS_ACCOUNT .... One, there is no way to tell (for the average user) that that is a button, much less a login button. But you also need to fix the above notation.

Love your dancing cactus logo - cute, simple, memorable.

Great job!

Not sure if it would look better - and better use of the product info page - but do: main picture, product description, then additional photos?

I looked at product_info.php last night. I have a lot of studying to do in order to figure out how to rearrange the items on that page! Well, I have a test store set up, so I'll play around in there first and see if I can make it more eye-appealing.

Header - the large red button that has your company name on it - when you hover your mouse over it I get: SIGN_IN_TO_YOUR_DANCING_CACTUS_ACCOUNT .... One, there is no way to tell (for the average user) that that is a button, much less a login button. But you also need to fix the above notation.

I definitely need to change that text. I don't know that I need people to know that it's a button, I just did that so as not to waste the space, but if I can think of a way to make it more obvious that it is a button, and fit it in to the design, I will.

Thanks for looking! I'm glad you like the logo. I didn't design it, but it took forever until I got one I was happy with.

Cathi

Archived