• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New store with basics, what next

shiftlocked

Hi there,

I've got a site up and running now and populating it on a day by day basis and tweaking as I go along

At the moment the only thing that I have installed is the Easypopulate mod and the basic design pack. What next would I need to do to make the site a bit more searchable and friendly mod wise.

I know the layout needs some work and such so Im wondering what sitemaps to installed, google sitemaps, froogle feeds etc.

Ive tried the ultimate SEO expansion and got no where with it as I couldnt get the last part of the code to work where you replace the function in html_output.

Is it worth going with the header tags controller or any other suggestions welcomed.

TIA

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

Ok no replies so far but no worries. I've just done a bit of a revamp to my site, got most of the CSS sorted, and make the site look a bit brighter and more interesting.

So far ive installed the Google site map and still had no luck with the SEO package as mentioned in my previous post (or in the support forum)

However I did get header Tag controller installed and ran that throughout the entire site. Googles been along to a couple of pages as well as MSN.

Im looking for ideas on where i should look to refine next. Can anyone spare some time to have a quick look at my site and comment please?

Main logo of the website

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

You might get more response if you put this topic in the My Store (Community Feedback) section.

You should put together a Froogle Feed as another step.

Your home page should have some text that describes your site, what you are selling and uses some of your main keywords in logical sentences. Search engines love content (i.e. text) and so do customers. Do you really want your home page header to read "What's New Here?"

Many of your pictures aren't showing up - there just Xs.

Good luck,

Adrienne

@ Hubcat

I did wonder if I had posted in the right area. For some reason I cant move the thread now tho :-( Thanks for the tip about more front page text. I'll get some more up today. Just really mocked up the front page and will finalise things later today.

I've got a froogle feed - Interestingly enough googlebase tells me that I have 49 live products yet when I do a search they dont appear. Very odd. I think that googlebase thinks that Im USA based and not uk

@ Caios

The problem came when I had to edit the htmloutput file Ive put what I posted in their support forum at their site but I've had no help so far on sorting it out. Nightmare really as googlebot has been sniffing about as well.

Hi there,

Just attempted to install this application and it works fine on the user side of things as you can see at my site

Problem is when i logon to things on the admin side my links are all messed up and point to

http://thermaltech.co.ukdir_ws_http...d_box=customers

instead of what they should be normally.

Any help appreciated. Ive followed the instructions to tbe best i can and had a look around the forums as well.

Bit of an update

The problem is to do with editing the HTML Output, the replaceing of the function results in some strange formatting as in the above link

Can anyone just help out with when it says to replace the function just how much of it im supposed to replace please?

If I just move the shop into root, what other potential problems would there be. I know the CSS stylesheet and a few paths in a couple of mods would need to be changed but other than that?

Main logo of the website

Update

Sorted. Now running with HTC and Ultimate SEO. Brilliant stuff, just waiting now for googlebot to come and say hello. He's poked his head in a few times so far :D

Main logo of the website

Archived