• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

a hack so beautiful (contact us)

yanarasod

i found in the contact page, that anyone sending a email can press the submit button and then click on stop button in their browser and i still recieved email, i tried this 3 times and and all those 3 emails reached me. i want to disable the function so that once pressed it doesn't allow clicking any more. this could allow anyone sending a lot of messages. any help appreciated??

has anyone got a working solution to it

What has this to do with a hack ?! If you press submit from within osCommerce and Stop from your browser it depends on what point the script is if the email is already sent yes or no, nothing strange, hacking or whatever with that. It could be annoying if someone starts spamming you that way but besides recording IP's and make the Submit button dissapear if pressed once from a particular IP the best thing would be to install a contribution like Visual Verify Code over here

There would be a hack if the contact us page could be used to sent spam emails to other people through your shop.

ok my question is:

i found this on dynamic drive

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex11/submitonce.htm

it disables the button once clicked, so can i remove the image button with that traditional button (as in dynamic drive's example), can it be done??

Their own note and besides that still Javascript dependant.

Note that the disabling effect is applied only to IE 4+ and NS 6+ browsers. All other browsers will still be able to sneak by and submit the form (degrades well). Also, the disabled buttons can easily be resurrected by reloading the page.

ok, i think should forget it.

can you pllease tell me how do i add a extra field to the contact page, also print it in the email i recieve. many thanks in advance

Try this. Edit your (catalog)/contact_us.php:

Find

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'success')) {
?>

and replace with

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'success')) {

// Disable Submit button after been clicked once
tep_session_register('contactussubmitalreadyclicked');
?>

Find

<td align="right"><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE); ?></td>

and replace with

<?php if (!tep_session_is_registered('contactussubmitalreadyclicked')) { ?>				
				<td align="right"><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE); ?></td>
<?php } else { ?>
				<td align="right">Picture 'Middle Finger' or whatever you feel approriate</td>

<?php } ?>

Try this. Edit your (catalog)/contact_us.php:

Find

?>

and replace with

?>

Find

and replace with

<?php } else { ?>

<?php } ?>

you cannot use php code for this as it is an entirely client-side issue.

You can only do this by disabling the button or replacing it via javascript on the client-side.

I personally replace the button with a "please wait" image the moment the button is pressed.

Treasurer MFC

You can only do this by disabling the button or replacing it via javascript on the client-side.

I personally replace the button with a "please wait" image the moment the button is pressed.

you could ofcourse create an email flood control server side with a timer which will not allow more than 1 email per minute for instance.

I use email queue so all emails are stored first in there so I could even make a check to see if the same client has already send another email within a certain timeframe and if so mark the email as "on hold" for manual release.

Treasurer MFC

Hi Amanda,

Just try it and you should see the button disapear. The contact_us page calls itself again to see if there is success and so you can create a session upon that which will stay valid until the customer session ends.

Javascript solutions would be problematic indeed as those rely on the client browser settings.

Howard

Hi Amanda,

Just try it and you should see the button disapear. The contact_us page calls itself again to see if there is success and so you can create a session upon that which will stay valid until the customer session ends.

Javascript solutions would be problematic indeed as those rely on the client browser settings.

Howard

ofcourse but only 1 email per session? Then make it a timestamp and unregister the variable after 5 minutes have past.

besides, I thought the problem was that users can click 2,3,4 times rapidly on the send button (before the page switches) and thus launching multiple duplicate emails. The same feature reported earlier with the order confirmation button.

Treasurer MFC

ofcourse but only 1 email per session? Then make it a timestamp and unregister the variable after 5 minutes have past.

besides, I thought the problem was that users can click 2,3,4 times rapidly on the send button (before the page switches) and thus launching multiple duplicate emails. The same feature reported earlier with the order confirmation button.

didn't read about that earlier 'feature' but I was a bit to quick and you are correct that the earlier solution doesn't work against rapid clicking.

The following little change should though:

if (tep_validate_email($email_address) && (!tep_session_is_registered('contactussubmitalreadyclicked'))) {
  tep_mail(STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS, EMAIL_SUBJECT, $enquiry, $name, $email_address);

The

with the 'success' part can be removed.

The caveat is indeed just one mail per session which might be unacceptable (or not) and you could add some time trigger or whatever somewhere to re-activate the button.

hi, just a little confused with the final version of the code, is the final

Find

if (tep_validate_email($email_address)) {
  tep_mail(STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS, EMAIL_SUBJECT, $enquiry, $name, $email_address);

and replace with

if (tep_validate_email($email_address) && (!tep_session_is_registered('contactussubmitalreadyclicked'))) {

Find

and replace with

<?php } else { ?>

<?php } ?>

hi, just a little confused with the final version of the code, is the final

Find

if (tep_validate_email($email_address)) {

and replace with

Find

and replace with

<?php } else { ?>

<?php } ?>

That's it. But be aware that this only gives one email possibility per session so might not suit your needs. It could be enhanced with a counter (maybe even admin configurable) or something for more flexibility.

ok, i will always be aware of that. one last time the same question, can i use dynamicdrive.com's example which posted earlier in the topic. it uses a button instead of a image and as such the button is disabled, so the user needs to refresh or come back to page again. can i replacre the image with the button. the only doubt i am having is whehthere tha image buttons is associated with any kind of security. thanks

ok, i will always be aware of that. one last time the same question, can i use dynamicdrive.com's example which posted earlier in the topic. it uses a button instead of a image and as such the button is disabled, so the user needs to refresh or come back to page again. can i replacre the image with the button. the only doubt i am having is whehthere tha image buttons is associated with any kind of security. thanks

Instead of

you can show whatever you like.

actually howard I think your very first suggestion with vvc is as good as it can get. It is what I deploy.

So when the form is submitted the vvc is checked. Even if you place a bot re-submitting the same arguments the php part of the vvc will generate another code and it will fail. So no accidental or intentional re-submission is possible.

actually howard I think your very first suggestion with vvc is as good as it can get. It is what I deploy.

So when the form is submitted the vvc is checked. Even if you place a bot re-submitting the same arguments the php part of the vvc will generate another code and it will fail. So no accidental or intentional re-submission is possible.

Yes, I agree vvc is the most elegant solution but for those who do not seem to like vvc for some reason it is an alternative (though a bit restrictive this way :D ).

Archived