• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Install Page Loops...Not a step 2 problem

arretx

I completed the installation "successfully" as it states, but when I try to access the catalog I get thrown to the install page and if I click the administration button I get a database access error:

Unable to connect to database server.

Now I'm lost. I have searched the forum inconclusively and am not sure what exactly to search for. None of my queries find anything more than the Step 2 problem that I've already solved.

Any ideas?

You get thrown back to the install page when accessing the Catalog because you haven't deleted the install folder.

The install probably didn't write data to the admin/includes/configure.php file - so you'll need to edit that file manually - use the includes/configure.php file as your guide.

Vger

You get thrown back to the install page when accessing the Catalog because you haven't deleted the install folder.

The install probably didn't write data to the admin/includes/configure.php file - so you'll need to edit that file manually - use the includes/configure.php file as your guide.

Vger

Not sure I'm making heads or tails of the configure.php, but I've updated every entry that appears to apply and I still get the database error.

Is there a reason the install no longer writes this information to the file?

If you're able to see the catalog and everything works on that side, that makes it easier...meaning everything's OK w/the database on that side. I wasn't sure if that's the case or not.

If that's the case, look at your catalog/includes/configure.php, at the bottom part of the file

// define our database connection

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'yourdatabaseusername');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'yourdatabasepassword');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'nameofyourdatabase');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

The admin/includes/configure.php file is not exactly the same, but these entries are the same (the ones for the database). Look at your catalog/includes/configure.php file and copy the database entries to your catalog/admin/includes/configure.php in their respective spots (down near the bottom).

Okay, well, I got that information properly entered and I am now able to connect to http://server/catalog/admin (virtual directory in IIS points to c:\catalog where the subdirectory is catalog {c:\catalog\catalog}) but I am not able to get past the Unable to Connect to Database! error on the http://server/catalog page.

If I remove the username from the config.php just to test the theory, then I get the same database error on http://server/catalog/admin.

At this point, I'm guessing that it's a path problem. Any ideas?

_________________ !!!!! NEVER MIND.... I didn't realize there were two config files. I found it and now it works!

If you're able to see the catalog and everything works on that side, that makes it easier...meaning everything's OK w/the database on that side. I wasn't sure if that's the case or not.

If that's the case, look at your catalog/includes/configure.php, at the bottom part of the file

// define our database connection

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'yourdatabaseusername');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'yourdatabasepassword');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'nameofyourdatabase');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

The admin/includes/configure.php file is not exactly the same, but these entries are the same (the ones for the database). Look at your catalog/includes/configure.php file and copy the database entries to your catalog/admin/includes/configure.php in their respective spots (down near the bottom).

Archived