• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A different spin with an oscommerce site... www.redteeth.com

auwagner

hi all,

this is my first live oscommerce site and any comments, criticisms, etc would be greatly appreciated.

www.redteeth.com

redteeth a wine review website we started to have fun. It gives real reviews of wine and allows you to store your current wine cellar, any wine you wish to purchase or remember and tasting notes. There is also integrated message boards (phpbb) and a blog. In the future, we wanted to have the possibility of selling wine and oscommerce is a great tool for the shopping cart.

thanks again for taking the time and write comments!

thanks,

john

Er. I click on the top link (Check out how redteeth works) and I get these errors:

1062 - Duplicate entry 'e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e' for key 1

insert into sessions values ('e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e?example=true', '1150403851', 'cart|O:12:\"shoppingcart\":4:{s:8:\"contents\";a:0:{}s:5:\"total\";i:0;s:6:\"weight\";i:0;s:12:\"content_type\";b:0;}language|s:7:\"english\";languages_id|s:1:\"1\";currency|s:3:\"USD\";navigation|O:17:\"navigationhistory\":2:{s:4:\"path\";a:1:{i:0;a:4:{s:4:\"page\";s:9:\"index.php\";s:4:\"mode\";s:6:\"NONSSL\";s:3:\"get\";a:1:{s:6:\"osCsid\";s:45:\"e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e?example=true\";}s:4:\"post\";a:0:{}}}s:8:\"snapshot\";a:0:{}}')

[TEP STOP]

1062 - Duplicate entry 'e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e' for key 1

insert into sessions values ('e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e?example=true', '1150403851', 'cart|O:12:\"shoppingcart\":4:{s:8:\"contents\";a:0:{}s:5:\"total\";i:0;s:6:\"weight\";i:0;s:12:\"content_type\";b:0;}language|s:7:\"english\";languages_id|s:1:\"1\";currency|s:3:\"USD\";navigation|O:17:\"navigationhistory\":2:{s:4:\"path\";a:1:{i:0;a:4:{s:4:\"page\";s:9:\"index.php\";s:4:\"mode\";s:6:\"NONSSL\";s:3:\"get\";a:1:{s:6:\"osCsid\";s:45:\"e9805c58ec57a30b51e6f4d7d501fc7e?example=true\";}s:4:\"post\";a:0:{}}}s:8:\"snapshot\";a:0:{}}')

[TEP STOP]

Also, nothing besides that changes. I don't have cookies enabled, nor javascript, and I'm working in firefox, if you don't get that error when you try.

Very interesting idea, though.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

i tested with and w/o cookies, but not javascript (my bad). i was actually able to duplicate the error, so i'll fix asap.

thanks for looking at it! the 'how redteeth works' is fun, so i'll try to get that working asap.

any other thoughts or comments?

thanks!

Hi there...

Great site: just a few comments...

- text for the categories is showing up pretty small on my screen, makes it hard to read

- the ? (ALT text for images) for the 'wine of the week' category on the left need tidying up - nothing big, just chage from 'Wine_of_the_week' to 'Wine of the Week'

- When signing up for an account, the asteriks (*) for the email address field is on the next line - it isn't next to the email field. Could be just my screen res, but worth looking at.

- On my screen, the email address field from the login box in the left hand side goes over the grey border and into the page.

Sorry, all my comments are really tiny points, couldn't find many faults, your page looks great, my major grumble would be the text size for the left hand side, but that's a hard one to deal with, you'll never please everyone (I'm using a mac and was recently told that the mac browser shrinks everything slightly, so if its normally ok on a pc, it might be tiny on my computer. Normally that's fine, I can juust up the text size, but with images I can't do that :()

good luck!

~bobsi18~

hi all,

this is my first live oscommerce site and any comments, criticisms, etc would be greatly appreciated.

www.redteeth.com

redteeth a wine review website we started to have fun. It gives real reviews of wine and allows you to store your current wine cellar, any wine you wish to purchase or remember and tasting notes. There is also integrated message boards (phpbb) and a blog. In the future, we wanted to have the possibility of selling wine and oscommerce is a great tool for the shopping cart.

thanks again for taking the time and write comments!

thanks,

john

I just finished poking around the site. I think the functionality is pretty cool - good ideas. I enjoyed the blog and the message board. It would be cool to have access to something like this when I'm shopping for a bottle of wine.

bobsi, thanks for the suggestions. i updated the ALT text and changed the graphics into html text, making them a little bigger. i will test on a mac in the next week to make sure all looks good. i still need to check into the other issues.

thanks again.

Wow! Definitely not out of the box OSC. I love the site. It's very nicely done and has an elegant simplicty about it. I am always curious when I see OSCommerce used in a different way. Why did you choose osc for this site? It seems like you aren't selling anything, and there are lots of php templated site engines like Mambo, Drupal, etc. I assume you are a skilled programmer. I peeked at your source and it's well commented? I recently had someone come to me and ask for a site which might have benefited from using OSC as the engine but it never occured to me. Are you using the osc search modules, or is it something else? Anyway, I am busy now deadlining on a couple of projects but when I have a chance, I am coming back for a 2nd look. Kudos!

Why did you choose osc for this site? It seems like you aren't selling anything, and there are lots of php templated site engines like Mambo, Drupal, etc.

That came to my mind the second I looked at the content. Pretty complicated tool to use for this subject.

I am lazy, I would have used Drupal.

But - congrats! Great site, great job - and maybe you will add some good bottles to SELL later on :)

Wow! Definitely not out of the box OSC. I love the site. It's very nicely done and has an elegant simplicty about it. I am always curious when I see OSCommerce used in a different way. Why did you choose osc for this site? It seems like you aren't selling anything, and there are lots of php templated site engines like Mambo, Drupal, etc. I assume you are a skilled programmer. I peeked at your source and it's well commented? I recently had someone come to me and ask for a site which might have benefited from using OSC as the engine but it never occured to me. Are you using the osc search modules, or is it something else? Anyway, I am busy now deadlining on a couple of projects but when I have a chance, I am coming back for a 2nd look. Kudos!

murray and goodstuff, thanks for the comments! i used oscommerce because at some point in the future, we might sell wine. however, right now its just for fun and drinking lots of wine. also, i toyed around with oscommerce once before for a few weeks (just trying to learn php and mysql) and had the files on my machine. i just started messing with it a bit and the next thing i know, i had a decent foundation. i also thought we could integrate our administration of wines into the oscommerce admin piece. actually, it worked very well.

i'm not sure about skilled, but i have programmed in the past. we started off with the oscommerce search (the small keyword search), but it has been drastically rewritten to hit all the tables for the wines and the different attributes we associate to the wines.

now, i'm doing the whole google sitemap thing. hopefully that will give us some hits and get people to start talking on our boards.

thanks again for all your comments.

i will test on a mac in the next week to make sure all looks good.

Looks fine here in Safari, Opera, Firefox and Camino

Archived