• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE solution to increase sales, ease of Customer purchase and customer sign ups

superjadex12

The fact that a customer MUST FIRST create an account in order to checkout is very deterring and seen as a hassle. Let's face it, customers look for the shortest distance to them and their purchase. Creating an account is seen as an EXTRA step rather than their expected QUICK CHECKOUT. Ideally we would want a solution that provides the customer with the easiest, most EFFECIENT and most BENEFICIAL way to checkout and buy their products.

I have that solution!!!!

But first we will talk about the current solution which has been the Purchase Without Account (PWA) contribution. What it does it provide the customer with a third option of "checking out without creating an account". I have used this contrib, it works great, and its wonderful. But do we really need it ??

Essentially, both the PWA and the "Create Account" forms are EXACTLY, the same thing. They both require the exact same data. So if the customer WILL be filling out this information either way, why give them a choice?

The fact that we even give them a choice means that one may have potential benefits to certain people.

But this isn't so. Ideally, both we (store owners) and the customer benefit much more from having an account created.

We secure their personal info including EMAIL ADDRESS, while they get fast, up to date information about past and current orders, as well as convenience and even bonuses (if provided through a newsletter.)

So what then is the benefit of Purchasing without an account? Nothing. Really it is nothing because the forms are the exact same thing. It isn't faster, easier, or more convenient.

The PROBLEM IS PWA is marketed as a better/quicker alternative to creating an account, which in turn makes creating an account seem like even more of a hassle than it is already perceived to be.

The SOLUTION I have is simply to market creating an account in a POSITIVE WAY.

Since creating an account is clearly more beneficial to all parties, do not give them a choice.

MAKE them create an account but do it in a positive way !

If the forms are exactly the same then why can't you replace the title "Create Account" with "Express Checkout". This absolutely improves the marketability of creating an account because it no longer IS creating an account! It has become your QUICK CHECKOUT method. (remember the forms are the same)

"And as a bonus, an account will autmatically be created for you! "

OverView:

Essentially my solution is to rename "create account" to "Express Checkout".

When customers hit the checkout button, they are taken to the login page where only TWO options are present. Express Checkout and Existing member sign in. This may sound ridiculous, but think about the MARKETING behind it. Think about how much more a customer is used to a "fast checkout" rather than having to first create an account. It's psychology!

Ok this post is way too long. There are a few specific details as to how to set up so that if the cart is empty it wont allow "checkout" and also how to completely avoid the "create account success" page and go DIRECTLY to the shipping information, (just like real checkout). First though I want to see if people agree with this solution and any suggestions, reactions you may have. Provided you guys are interested, I'll post a detailed "how-to" and hopefully you guys can help improve upon it as well.

Let me know what you think !

Brilliant Idea!!! am implementing it straight away!

The fact that a customer MUST FIRST create an account in order to checkout is very deterring and seen as a hassle. Let's face it, customers look for the shortest distance to them and their purchase. Creating an account is seen as an EXTRA step rather than their expected QUICK CHECKOUT. Ideally we would want a solution that provides the customer with the easiest, most EFFECIENT and most BENEFICIAL way to checkout and buy their products.

I have that solution!!!!

But first we will talk about the current solution which has been the Purchase Without Account (PWA) contribution. What it does it provide the customer with a third option of "checking out without creating an account". I have used this contrib, it works great, and its wonderful. But do we really need it ??

Essentially, both the PWA and the "Create Account" forms are EXACTLY, the same thing. They both require the exact same data. So if the customer WILL be filling out this information either way, why give them a choice?

The fact that we even give them a choice means that one may have potential benefits to certain people.

But this isn't so. Ideally, both we (store owners) and the customer benefit much more from having an account created.

We secure their personal info including EMAIL ADDRESS, while they get fast, up to date information about past and current orders, as well as convenience and even bonuses (if provided through a newsletter.)

So what then is the benefit of Purchasing without an account? Nothing. Really it is nothing because the forms are the exact same thing. It isn't faster, easier, or more convenient.

The PROBLEM IS PWA is marketed as a better/quicker alternative to creating an account, which in turn makes creating an account seem like even more of a hassle than it is already perceived to be.

The SOLUTION I have is simply to market creating an account in a POSITIVE WAY.

Since creating an account is clearly more beneficial to all parties, do not give them a choice.

MAKE them create an account but do it in a positive way !

If the forms are exactly the same then why can't you replace the title "Create Account" with "Express Checkout". This absolutely improves the marketability of creating an account because it no longer IS creating an account! It has become your QUICK CHECKOUT method. (remember the forms are the same)

"And as a bonus, an account will autmatically be created for you! "

OverView:

Essentially my solution is to rename "create account" to "Express Checkout".

When customers hit the checkout button, they are taken to the login page where only TWO options are present. Express Checkout and Existing member sign in. This may sound ridiculous, but think about the MARKETING behind it. Think about how much more a customer is used to a "fast checkout" rather than having to first create an account. It's psychology!

Ok this post is way too long. There are a few specific details as to how to set up so that if the cart is empty it wont allow "checkout" and also how to completely avoid the "create account success" page and go DIRECTLY to the shipping information, (just like real checkout). First though I want to see if people agree with this solution and any suggestions, reactions you may have. Provided you guys are interested, I'll post a detailed "how-to" and hopefully you guys can help improve upon it as well.

Let me know what you think !

Have done it..we will wait and see if it increases sales//we are running two oscommerce sites and one has the sign up waiver and one doesnt.. so far we are getting more trade from the site with the opt out on the sign on but do feel that the rewording is a great idea as as stated the customer has to impart that info anyway! the little plumber site has had the rewording added.. I will revert re any change in sales

thanks

Terry

excellent idea! i'm adding it now as well - i like the positive vibe of it :)

Jade,

I think your missing the point a bit. While I agree that PWA is somewhat useless becuase the shoppers ends up having to provide the same info, I think the idea of streamlining the checkout process does have merit.

Many sales are lost/carts abandoned because customers add items to their carts and want to get to the order confirmation page quickly to see if there are any additional charges or other policies in place that may affect their order (without having to enter shipping info, phone number, billing info, ect).

What I think is the best process is to allow customers to add items to their cart and get to a preliminary checkout page without having to provide any information. Obviously, they would then have to add billing info/shippping info to move to a final confirmation page which would show them applicable taxes, shipping charges, etc.

Basically, many shoppers want to confirm that the amount they see in their cart is the amount they will pay when they checkout (not including shipping or taxes) but when we force them to enter all their info before they even get to the order summary page, many shoppers abandon their order.

For those store owner that sell prodcuts via download, the process can be even more streamlined if they don't need a billling address (ie shopper could just create an account by entering their email and a password).

Paul,

An excellent point! Actually, what you have suggested doesn't even have to have anythign to do with a checkout.

Imagine an input box right on the shopping cart page or even in an info box with spaces for country/state/zip.

From this primary info we can calculate shipping cost (if more than one shipping cost we can default to the cheapest) and any applicable taxes. The user can enter this minimal information to see his actual sales total based on his input information.

If this was implemented customers could easily check price and if satisfied proceed to "express checkout" as normal.

Does anyone know if there is a current contribution that is similiar to this? I really think Paul has touched on a noteworthy issue. If there are no similiar contribs, does anyone have any ideas on creating this? I know a thing or two about PHP but probably wouldn't be able to code something like this. I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with, but in the OSC style, perhaps we can come together and create this ?

Any thoughts !

Hi, I am glad to have your idears.

I want to ask you to do me a favor that , since I am manufacturer of Pneumatic Cerivcal Traction in China and want to develop the market in your country.

Could you suggest some high-tick trading net for me?

Thank you

Calcedony

Does anyone know if there is a current contribution that is similiar to this?

There are quite a few 'estimate shipping cost in shopping cart infobox' contributions out there just not sure which one is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still new here, but this is one of the areas that I felt made no sense for the same reasons. Best possible checkout process should follow the standard layout.

1) Review of cart/ quantities/ total price with the availabilty to update quantities. Login link for existing customers, Express checkout for new customers

2) Existing customers confirm billing/ shipping and input payment

3) new customers include only REQUIRED info, e-mail for confirmation, password, opt in box for e-mails.

Billing address, with a check box for same as shipping box. followed by optional shipping info if not checked (1 page). Why have a seperate screen for shipping address if they already inputted the info.

4) Payment screen

5) Confirmation

Hoping my designer can make it work that way. I have no programming skill myself. Hope that helps one of you guys understand what I perceive to be the optimal process.

But, as I said in another thread I've never run my own online store before. If conversion rates are much better with PWA, than with comparable checkout processes, why switch? Would be interested in hearing from your experiences with PWA.

We tweaked our site to work like this:

-you can allways log in at the right hand side, this will restore your old basket.

-If you go to the checkout page and you haven't logged in you are presented with all the fields required (name/dob/delivery adress etc). there's also a password field there. if you haven't logged in and type in a password in that field then when you hit the purchase button the order will go through AND you will create an account.

-If you go to the checkout page and you have logged in all the required fields are allready filled in and there's no password field.

I can't imagine a way to make it easier for the customer, we've talked about requireing them to create an account but my argument against is allways that the 10-15% that don't do it do so for a reason and most of the time a reason we should accept and might lose buisness if we didn't.

We tweaked our site to work like this:

-you can allways log in at the right hand side, this will restore your old basket.

-If you go to the checkout page and you haven't logged in you are presented with all the fields required (name/dob/delivery adress etc). there's also a password field there. if you haven't logged in and type in a password in that field then when you hit the purchase button the order will go through AND you will create an account.

-If you go to the checkout page and you have logged in all the required fields are allready filled in and there's no password field.

I can't imagine a way to make it easier for the customer, we've talked about requireing them to create an account but my argument against is allways that the 10-15% that don't do it do so for a reason and most of the time a reason we should accept and might lose buisness if we didn't.

Where are you giving them the option to not create an account? Or is the password optional?

Personally, I think the problem is one of psychology. There is no reason someone who's giving you a valid e-mail and credit card would shudder at the thought of leaving a password for checking order status, etc... It seems that FEC does much in terms of needed improvement, but it still needs some tweaking. I'd move password just below e-mail adress, and eliminate any box mentioning 'account' or 'register', similarly, I'd eliminate 'account created success page'. These are extra steps that delay final purchase, and give the consumer time to pause and consider. With or without a password you are collecting all of the most valuable info these people have. If you want to give them less reasons to be nervous delete the date of birth field. This is no time to collect marketing data!

WIsh I was smart enough to mod it myself, but hopefully that will help out some of you guys.

Where are you giving them the option to not create an account? Or is the password optional?

it's optional, if you enter a password the order goes through and you create an account at the same time, if you don't enter a password the order goes through but no account is created.

I agree it's mostly about what the customer associate "creating an account" with. some might for instance think that a member will get more emails from the store. We spam both categories to the same extent though.

Archived