• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New to oscommerce

kate_taylor

I would love to use the oscommerce store but am at a loss as to where to begin. This will be my first online store and I will be setting it up myself (hopefully). I am familiar with html but not php/mysql. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions for me. :-)

Where is the best place to get my hosting through? I am under the impression that I will need something with a php/mysql database. Is that correct. I'm looking at either Yahoo or GoDaddy right now. Will those work with this store?

Is the store easy to set up and customize? I can't tell from the demos and apparently I can't try it out unless I already have my domain which I am still waiting on till I figure out where I'd like to host.

How are payments handled within the store? Will I need to set up a merchant account somewhere (like propay or something) or can I just use Paypal or does the store process payments itself?

Forgive me if my questions seem really dumb but I really am totally clueless when it comes to this type of store.

Thanks for any help!

I would love to use the oscommerce store but am at a loss as to where to begin. This will be my first online store and I will be setting it up myself (hopefully). I am familiar with html but not php/mysql. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions for me. :-)

Where is the best place to get my hosting through? I am under the impression that I will need something with a php/mysql database. Is that correct. I'm looking at either Yahoo or GoDaddy right now. Will those work with this store?

Is the store easy to set up and customize? I can't tell from the demos and apparently I can't try it out unless I already have my domain which I am still waiting on till I figure out where I'd like to host.

How are payments handled within the store? Will I need to set up a merchant account somewhere (like propay or something) or can I just use Paypal or does the store process payments itself?

Forgive me if my questions seem really dumb but I really am totally clueless when it comes to this type of store.

Thanks for any help!

the cart is very easy to install without any knowledge of php / mysql there is a guide that tells u what to do step by step, you can also setup a server on your PC (for free) and test the cart on there you dont need a host for that, then when you want to make it live buy a host. im not 100% on the payment side of things as i havnt got to that yet

but there are a list of options you can chose paypal etc along with others

there are also tons of guides on the forum for just about anything u can think of for the cart

First, I would download an easy to set up WAMP server you can install on your computer.

Google wamp (windows Apache Mysql PHP) and you should find some very nice installers. I use the wampserver.com offer. It's free and very easi to install.

After WAMP is working on your computer download a OSC package and install it locally. Your URL will be localhost/oscommerce/catalog

Installing OSC is a breeze and the only snag of having OSC on localhost is the inability to send confirmation emails and other similar issues that need a "live" server to work.

You need not know PHP or Mysql to get to this stage (but it helps).

Once you are running your localhost you can get an account with any apache/PHP/Mysql webhost. I used both Godaddy and 1+1 with fairly good results. Interestingly, some of the hosts will tell you they don't support OSC, but what they mean is that they want to sell you their Ecommerce package. To install OSC on Godaddy simply create a database and jolt down the server name, the address, user and password. Enter that data in the OSC installation and you are good to go.

I would suggest installing on your localhost a "pure version" that you never touch for code comparisons, another with a templating system that you (again) will use for compare and one for you to play with. If you screw up you can always revert to the original one. Also, I make nackups everytime I am at major stages in the developement. It saved my ass several times.

Incidentally, I have helped other OSC owners with their OSC installation for a small fee to cover my time. It is far from difficult, but some don't like messing with it. You may be able to find someone to do the same for you.

Making your store look like you want is another matter. I mentioned before a template system you can add to the basic install or you can do it the hard way. The easiest is to change the CSS file and redesign the icons.

Good luck

I am familiar with html but not php/mysql.

You know more than me when I started.

Where is the best place to get my hosting through?

Google will give you thousands of options for hosting. Linux hosting is the best, just ask them if they support osC and then do some research and find out what others are saying about them.

Is the store easy to set up and customize?

If you already know HTML it should not be that hard for you, searching the forum and reading the knowledge base are a good place to start but you will have to get your hands dirty in the code.

I can't tell from the demos and apparently I can't try it out unless I already have my domain which I am still waiting on till I figure out where I'd like to host.

From easyphp.org you can download a program that will set up a server on your computer and then you can test without having a hosting account or a domain. Personally I would get a domain though and park it somewhere as the search engines like domains that have been around for a while so if you know what name you want the purchase it now and submit it to the search engines.

In the contributions section there are hundreds of modules for almost every payment processor out there. You have lots of options.

Hello Kate, I read your message, and find that I am in the same position. I'd like to use tripod to start my website, and I'd like to use the 2checkout service to process customer payment, but I need more options for my customers when they are buying my personalized favors, than 2checkout's shopping cart offers.

I don't know even how to sign up for the osCommerce shopping cart service. Can you point me in the right direction to begin. Thanks

I've used 1and1 hosting since the beginning and the only problem I ran into is the shared SSL which is covered in many posts here. I went dedicated SSL in short order. I think it's wise to get the dedicated certificate no matter what host you choose.

PayPal IPN will get you by until you open an merchant account. I just opened my merchant account via

http://www.unitedbankservice.com/ and it really seems to be the best rates and really easy to setup and the authorize.net AIM contribution makes it seamless with the store. Surprisingly more people are still using the PayPal option.

If you have a background in HTML then you are way ahead of the game. PHP is a total different beast but once you start installing contributions you will learn the language beyond the standard "look for and replace" and can make even more modifications.

Archived