• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Images shown only half or not loading

osiris77

I've finished installing a fresh copy of osc with success, but when I opened the admin and catalog pages I found this strange problem: the images are only coming up halfway or not at all.

This is very weird and I re-uploaded the images folders thinking maybe they weren't uploaded correctly, but nothing changed.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or know the solution?

some ftp tools may have problems uploading images. Check the images directly with your browser by using the direct link to the image like

http://mysite321.com/images/test_image.gif

if they appear corrupted try a different upload tool.

I started using SmartFTP recently. It looks prettier than my usual filezilla but not very practical.

I started using SmartFTP recently. It looks prettier than my usual filezilla but not very practical.

use a different upload tool. the images are corrupt as mentioned earlier

Shall I reupload? and what folders?

The folder locations are fine. Either your pictures were corrupt before the upload or were corrupted during the process. If your pictures open correctly (on your computer) before you upload them, you need a different FTP program.

Shall I reupload? and what folders?

re-uploading with the same tool will result to the same problem. Try with your browser to do the ftp if you dont have anything else available. It will work better than the tool you're currently using.

All the images you uploaded with this smartftp I guess.

re-uploading with the same tool will result to the same problem. Try with your browser to do the ftp if you dont have anything else available. It will work better than the tool you're currently using.

All the images you uploaded with this smartftp I guess.

I have used smartftp before... Usually without a problem unless I was uploading in ASCII mode... I either used binary or try autodetect. If you try it again, try with one picture that you are sure is good. If it still doesnt work, then try something else.

I have used smartftp before... Usually without a problem unless I was uploading in ASCII mode... I either used binary or try autodetect. If you try it again, try with one picture that you are sure is good. If it still doesnt work, then try something else.

I used smartftp again, this time with auto and binary modes and the images look ok now. Thanks :D

:thumbsup:

So ..is there an easy way to add products - other than installing the EasyPopulate contrib - because that takes a lot of code editing!

I personally use "PhpMY Admin" to edit the SQL directly. Easy populate works fairly well, but (occasionally) gets flakey when your are pasting html in the description there.

When first starting out, I would (personally) copy the items I wanted to use as a base and then edited the "products" and "products_description" tables.

"Products" has the price and picture information and "products_description" has the product name and description. With practice, you can edit the SQL codes in excel and paste them back in. "Products_description" can be tricky because of the commas in the html code... if you use them.

*note: When you copy an item (if you want more than one) you can get multiples by clicking repeatedly on "copy" before it has a chance to load. This will give you inactive copies. I used this trick when I was first starting out. Becoming proficient in using osCommerce's SQL tables is actually much faster than any of the populating contri's... but that takes a bit to learn. The main thing to remember is to try to keep track of what # is associated with which item.

:D I have seen a lot of people say the same thing about the codes... That's why I'm beginning to work on the side setting up oscommerce sites for people with a lot of contri's already installed...

If you are doing your own editing, however, I would strongly advise using Dreamweaver. That is much better than text or FrontPage. Just make sure you keep backups and do NOT edit directly on the site. Keep track of your site while you are editing it, and keep the files open on your computer until you are done and sure they work. If you "goof" you can hit Ctrl-Z until it goes to original, save, and upload the original... then try again.

Probably too much for one post, but I hope you find it useful.

Good Luck,

Ash W. Haag

Archived