• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Oscomerce for Dummies

We need a help area that is easy to understand for people like me that is for simple minded people like me who wants to get the most of their shopping cart with out having to be a Internet code expert. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We need a help area that is easy to understand for people like me that is for simple minded people like me who wants to get the most of their shopping cart with out having to be a Internet code expert. :)

:thumbsup: Totally Agree!!! The documentation is very confusing, it needs to be to do this click this.

e.g CHMOD, changing permissions, well I am not stupid but I have never heard of CHMOD before, I did a search on the net to find out what it was and realised that is was part of my ftp manager, in the properties section. BTW it didnt work even though I changed permission to 744 it just errored the site. So I continue to plod my way through. I guess those in the know make money from creating websites for others and good luck to them too, but those who want to learn themselves, just have to do trial and error, maybe if those in the know wrote a book, they could sell a few copies, I know I for one would buy it!!!!

:thumbsup: Totally Agree!!! The documentation is very confusing, it needs to be to do this click this.

e.g CHMOD, changing permissions, well I am not stupid but I have never heard of CHMOD before, I did a search on the net to find out what it was and realised that is was part of my ftp manager, in the properties section. BTW it didnt work even though I changed permission to 744 it just errored the site. So I continue to plod my way through. I guess those in the know make money from creating websites for others and good luck to them too, but those who want to learn themselves, just have to do trial and error, maybe if those in the know wrote a book, they could sell a few copies, I know I for one would buy it!!!!

Ok Guys how about us Dummies (me too I just want to start my own business on a shoe string and I am no techie)share our knowledge on a thread each explaining what we know in simple every day 'common a garden' english and no techie language? May be we will find some experts who can also remember the mother tounge and will come down to our level.

Hi, I have received much help from many over this problem with understanding commerce, let me share what I have found out, there are several books available through amazon.com, also there is a site that lets you download most of them in ebooks.

http://www.oscommercemanuals.com/

Maybe if we all work together (us dummies :blush: ) we might find something good.

Hellooooo

I am a dummie too, like you guys my business needs a web presence but would cost thousands to get a web company to build the site i want!!

I must admit i am stuggling to get some of this configured, i am certainly no jargon geek so this is like a forigen language to me!!!

Darren

• 1 month later...

Hi I am newintown and a dummy, but I found the book written for osCommerce Beginners Edition, step by step introduction. Written by David Mercer

• 1 month later...
Hi all I'm also a noob.

Know nothing about PHP, MySQL.....blah blah blah.... I think I'm completely hopeless.

Just wanna say Hi. Hopefully I can learn something around.

Just wanted to say thank you all for your replies. I got 2 books from Amazon and they have help tremendiously. There are also some sites you can download these as ebooks. I have very limited knowledge of this program, but have my store online and have already had a couple of orders. If I can be of any help, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Sharon

Hi I am newintown and a dummy, but I found the book written for osCommerce Beginners Edition, step by step introduction. Written by David Mercer

I bought that also, and finished setting up and designing my site in a little under a week.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought that also, and finished setting up and designing my site in a little under a week.

That's great, could you share any tidbits of what you learned like how do you set up more zones that just the states, (you know like adding counties and cities)?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:D Hello everyone. After reading yours post(s) it seems like a just found my family. Alleluia!

I've been a pro- photographer for over 16 years now and 2 years ago I decided to have a website.

I made one using Yahoo template. The site was in fact ugly for say the lest; but it was functional. I got sick of this site. Yahoo's fee were sky rocking so i shoot it down.

Recently, bought a oscommerce template, but I struggling to make any change.

I had a book of David Mercer " Os commerce: Beginner's Edition" . It's a very good book to work with the STANDARD VERSION of osCommerce. It is easy to read but it seen inadequate to work on my template.

Since, i have lose some my exciting to work with my .php template. I also took a on line curse of .php. It did not help as much as i was expecting. I was ready to call this website dial off. That;s when I can across of the Kerry Watson's site... in a simple word: EASY

She is amazing and ...i mean amazing. She has manual calls " osCommerce Users Manual for store owner ans site developers" that it's written in a " You Dummy?..I dummy, too" approach. She guides you step by step- Trough the process of running the store for one end to the other. However, my suggestion is to read as most as you can. THERE MANY TITLE FOR FREE!

http://oscommerceguides.com/index.php?osCs...80b85434c7ff8fd

This book" osCommerce user manual ' is just one o two step forward D. Mercer book. But as a new-e-stores owners, I think that those steps are just a giant jump. I started working on my template again and know I will need a lot help. If you happened to find anyone that has real experience working with he NGT( Not-Geek-Teem) please bring him or her on.

"Everything seems to be easy but I just don't seem to get it. " :thumbsup:

1480b85434c7ff8fd

• 3 weeks later...
That was great thanks all i need now is something similar for banner placements as they alway end up at the bottom of the page?

Post 2, then search for the word banner will tell you the above.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Hey ... I am so glad for this forum. I've already posted the below with little response. As I read your stuff, I realize that I am even newer than a newbie. I feel like I'm reading Latin or something.

I can't even get out the gate, guys! My head is spinning. I fumbled through mySql and phpmyadmin creating a table for my database. Not sure if all that I've done is necessary or even right, but am trying my best to follow directions, though don't understand the lingo and directions assumes more knowledge than I have.

Okay ... I think the doc root is inside my html folder so I created an osc folder and inside it a catalog folder and inside it an admin folder. (No one's instructions ... just trying to do what I thing/thought the oscommerce-2.2...pdf is telling me regarding "structure of osCommerce" [pg. 5]) Someone will probably scream and say NOOOOOOO, you aren't to do that. But I am having no luck simply adding the catalog.php file from the zip to the html/osc folder.

In case you are wondering, I did upload the entire zipped and unzipped files from my windows download to my unix/linux ISP people's website ... my domain. I redid the upload using Unix/Linux zip files (I say both cause I don't want to look back over to see which it actually is ... sorry.), though the osCommerce website said they were the same files.

I went to http://www.mydomain.com/osc/install.php.

I got a line error saying:

New Installation

Please customize the new installation with the following options:

Import Catalog Database:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: osc_draw_checkbox_field() in /home/u2/.../html/oscommerce-2.2/install.php on line 24

I tried changing everything on the install.php "property" attribute to all checks for everything! I did the same for the "osc" folder.

BTW: I noticed that my opening install page does not show the actual install button on the opening page, like the image is missing ... Mind you, I've been working around the clock on trying to launch my ecommerce site, so I'm a little more scatter-brain than usual. Can someone PLEASE tell me what it is that I am missing.

I consider myself a software geek, but not really an install geek ... still I'm on a shoestring budget and must do as much as I can possibly do myself. Please help. And if I make no sense in what I am doing, my reply is "exactly!" I can't even seem to "open the box." Please clear the clouds.

Kimberly :o

Hey ... I am so glad for this forum. I've already posted the below with little response. As I read your stuff, I realize that I am even newer than a newbie. I feel like I'm reading Latin or something.

I can't even get out the gate, guys! My head is spinning. I fumbled through mySql and phpmyadmin creating a table for my database. Not sure if all that I've done is necessary or even right, but am trying my best to follow directions, though don't understand the lingo and directions assumes more knowledge than I have.

Okay ... I think the doc root is inside my html folder so I created an osc folder and inside it a catalog folder and inside it an admin folder. (No one's instructions ... just trying to do what I thing/thought the oscommerce-2.2...pdf is telling me regarding "structure of osCommerce" [pg. 5]) Someone will probably scream and say NOOOOOOO, you aren't to do that. But I am having no luck simply adding the catalog.php file from the zip to the html/osc folder.

In case you are wondering, I did upload the entire zipped and unzipped files from my windows download to my unix/linux ISP people's website ... my domain. I redid the upload using Unix/Linux zip files (I say both cause I don't want to look back over to see which it actually is ... sorry.), though the osCommerce website said they were the same files.

I went to http://www.mydomain.com/osc/install.php.

I got a line error saying:

New Installation

Please customize the new installation with the following options:

Import Catalog Database:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: osc_draw_checkbox_field() in /home/u2/.../html/oscommerce-2.2/install.php on line 24

I tried changing everything on the install.php "property" attribute to all checks for everything! I did the same for the "osc" folder.

BTW: I noticed that my opening install page does not show the actual install button on the opening page, like the image is missing ... Mind you, I've been working around the clock on trying to launch my ecommerce site, so I'm a little more scatter-brain than usual. Can someone PLEASE tell me what it is that I am missing.

I consider myself a software geek, but not really an install geek ... still I'm on a shoestring budget and must do as much as I can possibly do myself. Please help. And if I make no sense in what I am doing, my reply is "exactly!" I can't even seem to "open the box." Please clear the clouds.

Kimberly :o

Okay ... it's only fair to tell you the resolve ... :-"

I was trying to unzip the down and dirty way (grab and drop). BIG NO-NO!!!! A wonderful person named Jack at another posting helped me see the light!

You've got to let the program (winZip or whatever) do the Extraction for you. That was my problem allllll along ... So now I'm off to Configurations.

I'll be checking back when I get stuck again.

Thanks for being here!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

Hiya..I went here and searched for banner, I followed the instructions and uploaded a pic and gave it a url, but i cant get the pic to show up in my site. I want it show in the top right hand corner. The instructions say:

Displaying Banners

Banners can be displayed by either selecting a random banner in a banner group, or by directly requesting an ID to a banner.

Displaying Random Banners

Random banners can be displayed by requesting which banner group a banner should be selected from, and can be done with:

<?php

echo tep_display_banner('dynamic', '468x50');

?>

The dynamic parameter value instructs the tep_display_banner() function to select a random banner from the 468x50 banner group.

Displaying A Specific Banner

A specific banner can be displayed by requesting the specific banner ID, such as:

<?php

echo tep_display_banner('static', '1');

?>

The static parameter value instructs the tep_display_banner() function to select the banner with the ID value of 1.

Can anyone tell me what file do I need to add this code into? and where will the banner appear?

Thanks in advance

James

Hiya..I went here and searched for banner, I followed the instructions and uploaded a pic and gave it a url, but i cant get the pic to show up in my site. I want it show in the top right hand corner. The instructions say:

Displaying Banners

Banners can be displayed by either selecting a random banner in a banner group, or by directly requesting an ID to a banner.

Displaying Random Banners

Random banners can be displayed by requesting which banner group a banner should be selected from, and can be done with:

<?php

echo tep_display_banner('dynamic', '468x50');

?>

The dynamic parameter value instructs the tep_display_banner() function to select a random banner from the 468x50 banner group.

Displaying A Specific Banner

A specific banner can be displayed by requesting the specific banner ID, such as:

<?php

echo tep_display_banner('static', '1');

?>

The static parameter value instructs the tep_display_banner() function to select the banner with the ID value of 1.

Can anyone tell me what file do I need to add this code into? and where will the banner appear?

Thanks in advance

James

I really love instructions that explain what to do in the same terms as the instruction. That's like saying: "To replace the flat tire on your car, remove the flat tire and replace it with the good tire". It clearly does not explain that you first have to loosen the lug nuts, then jack up the car, remove all the lug nuts, etc.

First, the text should explain the concept of "Banners". Then it should define and describe what a "Banner Group" is. It took me a while to figure this one out. Ditto about a banner "ID".

• 1 month later...

Archived