• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OScommerce and search engines

craigie b

Hi guys,

I have just completed setting up my site on a windows server and I am concerned that even after submission to google and other websites that my site just simply isn't fuinctioning correctly, since none of my keywords get any responce at all and given the unique nature of the products I would have thought I would get some recognition.

Now I have added Ultimate SEO to my site (www.silvershoeforge.com) yet I really do not know if it has made any difference at all. I'm wondering if someone would be as kind enough as to explain how they optimised their website or even better still, if they could analise mine and explain what is going on. At present I could be fretting over nothing!

Thank you

Craig

B)-->

QUOTE(craigie b @ Jun 14 2006, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

I have just completed setting up my site on a windows server and I am concerned that even after submission to google and other websites that my site just simply isn't fuinctioning correctly, since none of my keywords get any responce at all and given the unique nature of the products I would have thought I would get some recognition.

Now I have added Ultimate SEO to my site (www.silvershoeforge.com) yet I really do not know if it has made any difference at all. I'm wondering if someone would be as kind enough as to explain how they optimised their website or even better still, if they could analise mine and explain what is going on. At present I could be fretting over nothing!

Thank you

Craig

WHen did you add SEO?

SEO is not on on your site . You need to turn it on in the admin area.

It can take some tome for chages in your site to appear in google. Sometime months.

THere are lots of threads on this subject you woudld do well searching the fourms.

You might try installing "Header Tags Controller"

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

WHen did you add SEO?

SEO is not on on your site . You need to turn it on in the admin area.

It can take some tome for chages in your site to appear in google. Sometime months.

THere are lots of threads on this subject you woudld do well searching the fourms.

You might try installing "Header Tags Controller"

Hiya,

I installed SEO yesterday but it uses cName method....I thought it was working because when I look at the URL once I've clicked silver rose it displays the URL as such

http://silvershoeforge.com/product_info.ph...limited-edition

Isn't this correct?

First of all, when did you submit your site to google? Have you checked if your site shows up when you search for it like "www.mysite.com"? If you are not listed like this, then you will not be listed as search result for keywords.

I "opened" my shop to the web on 18 May, installed the Ultimate SEO and Google Sitemap contributions. After that I submitted to google, yahoo and some directories. Googlebot and Yahoo!Slurp came round almost every day but Google only started viewing products about a week ago.

Today I checked again and finally my pages (www.finefoods24.com) show up in Google and when I search for the indexed products I'm the first entry listed on almost all of them. It just takes time, that's all.

While waiting for the search engines, you might want to spend some time optimizing your code. I modified my title tags to display the shop name and the product you are currently looking at. In addition to that I put the product name in <h> tags. Now I'm working on adding relevant content (product descriptions), especially in the first paragraph of text.

Check out your competition. Who comes up when you enter your keywords? What is listed, have a look at their pages (incl. meta tags) and try to do better. On some of my products it is a close "race" where the keyword density seems to matter so adding product descriptions should put me in a better position.

I saw that my main competitor is using the meta description tag which is displayed in the search results but because this tag is the same for all his pages, they are not within the first result entries.

I guess I'll give the header tag controller contribution a go, as long as it adds some more relevant information to my pages.

Good luck and patience!

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Thanks for the input abra, its very much appreciated.

lol, unlike yourself I have choose to osCommerce in a different fashion, i.e. offer it as a product to customers and since this is my first real venture into the world of freelance I am worried about giving out to much expectation to clients or worse, like the site I have just completed, putting in 100x to much effort to deliver, to the point that it wouldn;t be profitable to do!

I'll have a look at the optimisation contributions you have suggest and just keep an eye on google in the mean time. Silver Shoe Forge actualy ranks in number one on google so I shouldn't really complain!

You also need to work on your "off page" optimization by getting links back to your site using your keywords as anchor text.

You might show up near the top of Google now if your site is new but they will soon put it in the sandbox and that ranking will disappear. MSN and Yahoo will treat is well (hopefully) but don't expect Google for about a year or so even with good quality links back.

Submitting your site to the SE's is a waste of time, find one good PR site such as a related forum and if they allow add a link to your site in your signature and make a few posts/answer a few questions and they will crawl your site within 24 hours such as this (Silver horse shoe). :-" Also Google "directory, your keyword" or "forum, your keyword" and you will find many more places to add your site to.

Also with only 2 products there is not a lot of content for the SE's to look at so I would start adding some by writing about horses, weddings, silver, etc. and adding articles to your site, that will help your rankings and give your a much wider range of keyword hits.

I would also look at the thread in "tips and tricks" about removing index.php when browsing back to the main page as you don't want duplicate content. Also when making links back to your site remember that http://silvershoeforge.com and http://www.silvershoeforge.com are totally different, and with or without the index.php on the end is different also. All are considered different pages and duplicate content by the SE's.

To see if you have any links back to your site on the SE's type in "link:yoursite.com except Yahoo where you type in link:http://yoursite.com

HTH

B)-->

QUOTE(craigie b @ Jun 14 2006, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the input abra, its very much appreciated.

lol, unlike yourself I have choose to osCommerce in a different fashion, i.e. offer it as a product to customers and since this is my first real venture into the world of freelance I am worried about giving out to much expectation to clients or worse, like the site I have just completed, putting in 100x to much effort to deliver, to the point that it wouldn;t be profitable to do!

I'll have a look at the optimisation contributions you have suggest and just keep an eye on google in the mean time. Silver Shoe Forge actualy ranks in number one on google so I shouldn't really complain!

I think when you are offering a service for installing and modifying osC for customers it is very important to specify beforehand what the customer gets. Otherwise you end up spending too much time for not enough pay. Who knows, if I have enough time, I might as well put my experience with customizing osC on offer. Until then I just stick to my own shop and helping in this forum.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived