• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What can I do to get OSC's search engine to do what I need?

I sell back issues of soap opera magazines. Soapoperaworld.com if you need to look.

Search engine works fine with keywords, names of actors....okay.

But, if a buyer needs to narrow down their search and look for a substantive set of keywords, like...

Interview with NAME OF ACTOR HERE

It returns results for every listing that contains Interview With or every listing that even mentions the actor's name.

Long ago I put a warning in the Advanced Search header for buyers to not use quotation marks, as this will result in no matches whatsoever.

But, why is that?

If you were looking for Interview with Jacob Young....in my website....what does one need to type in to accomplish that? To only pull up magazine listings with that exact string of words that appear in a listing?

I sell back issues of soap opera magazines. Soapoperaworld.com if you need to look.

Search engine works fine with keywords, names of actors....okay.

But, if a buyer needs to narrow down their search and look for a substantive set of keywords, like...

Interview with NAME OF ACTOR HERE

It returns results for every listing that contains Interview With or every listing that even mentions the actor's name.

Long ago I put a warning in the Advanced Search header for buyers to not use quotation marks, as this will result in no matches whatsoever.

But, why is that?

If you were looking for Interview with Jacob Young....in my website....what does one need to type in to accomplish that? To only pull up magazine listings with that exact string of words that appear in a listing?

You are in luck. I have a solution to at least part of your problem. There is a bug in the search module which causes it to replace the " " with \ \. To fix this go to catalog/includes/functions/general.php

You will find:

// Parse search string into indivual objects

function tep_parse_search_string($search_str = '', &$objects) {

$search_str = trim(strtolower($search_str));

Underneath Type:

$search_str = ereg_replace('[\]"', '"', $search_str);

Now you can do specific searching. 1 simple line caused me a week of frustration. :(

Archived