• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

paypal problems- '... temporary difficulties ...' paypal ipn v1.1 module

Hello,

I am trying to get CC payments through

paypal ipn v1.1 module to work.

After transfering to Paypal and entering in all the customer billing info, this is the error I am getting.

---------------- Paypal error ----------------

We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment.

Message -1

----------------------------- End paypal error -----------------

Is paypal really having problems or is there a problem with my setup and the error message just sucks (more likely in my opinion)?

Also for this method of CC payment, it looks like the customer still needs to create a Paypal account, they just don't need to add bank account info.

Is this how it should work?

I guess I was thinking that it would be more transparent then this, I will be looking into real CC procesing as soon as I can.

Any recomendations for CC processing?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm not certain about the error, but even if it's a configuration error on your part, it's still happening purely on the paypal site. Get in touch with them to see what they can tell you about it.

You can configure whether to make customers join Paypal to use a credit card. It's somewhere under Merchant Tools, possibly in the Other Features list.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

I'm not certain about the error, but even if it's a configuration error on your part, it's still happening purely on the paypal site. Get in touch with them to see what they can tell you about it.

You can configure whether to make customers join Paypal to use a credit card. It's somewhere under Merchant Tools, possibly in the Other Features list.

Thanks,

I will be contacting Paypal later when I get a chance.

In case anyone else needs it, the options for the web payments (like auto return and paypal account optional) are under

Profile-Selling Preferences-Website Payment Preferences, in your paypal account, not in OSC setup (Me- I can't find anything like that in OSC setup, the Wife- Is it on paypal's site? Once again, Doh.)

On my system it was already set to paypal account optional, so I really need to get a hold of paypal and find out what is up.

So far the only phone number I can find is sales, if I find a better phone number I will include it in an other post for the archives, plus the resolution to my problems.

Thank you,

Matt Wehland

Ok here is where things stand now.

My account is verified (has been for years, and I double checked).

While I had been accepted for a Pro account, I hadn't accepted the billing agreement (IIRC the $20 per month fee was waived for a while when I first signed up).

So I now have accepted the billing agreement and have a Pro account, but the customer still has no choice but to have a paypal account when they go to make a purchase (once transfered to paypals' site).

The only advise paypal could offer was that I needed to create a new certificate now that I have a Pro account.

Actually I created a new signature, not a certificate, I'm not sure which I need.

I'm also not sure where to put this info.

All I see under the paypal module looks like info if I am using Encrypted web payments, which I'm not yet, as i'm just trying to get this to work.

I started setting this all up months ago and then haven't had time with the new baby, so forgive me if I am a little rusty on paypal ipn setup, I am going back to look at the docs right after I finish this message.

If anyone has pointers on IPN setup, I would be more than willing to hear them.

Paypal support seems to take the line that you need to get someone to set this up for you, they really weren't much help. Maybe the next operator will be. Hopefully the on hold wait won't be quite as long.

Paypal Contact numbers-

866-836-1648 sales (I'd ask for an operator, not wade through their menu system)

866-837-1851 business direct numbers

800-852-1973 Merchant tool tech support (the one I really needed to talk to)

Hopefully this number will help someone else, all I could find on Paypal's site was sales and then it took several transfers to get to tech support.

Matt Wehland

Archived