• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

buying Hosting 4 OSC

skywalker786

Hi.

I am in the process of buying hosting for my oscommerce shop can tell me what I need

from the hosting company?

1. How many MB of space?

2. Windows or Linux Hosting?

3. Any security stuff eg. SSL?

And any other things which I haven't mention

sky

1 - It depends on yoiur shop. A new, or small, oscommerce shop can get by with less than 30 MB and very little bandwidth. One that has many products and is busy may need 3-4 GB of disk space and 50 GB (or more) of bandwidth. You can get an idea of how much disk space you need by checking the total size of your files and adding another 10-20 MB to it for database and email. Bandwidth is more difficult to judge but if your current host has a control panel that monitors it, you can check your last months usage.

2 - Linux.

3 - Buy a private ssl.

4 - Support for oscommerce. Many hosts will offer oscommerce but few actually support it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

1 - It depends on yoiur shop. A new, or small, oscommerce shop can get by with less than 30 MB and very little bandwidth. One that has many products and is busy may need 3-4 GB of disk space and 50 GB (or more) of bandwidth. You can get an idea of how much disk space you need by checking the total size of your files and adding another 10-20 MB to it for database and email. Bandwidth is more difficult to judge but if your current host has a control panel that monitors it, you can check your last months usage.

2 - Linux.

3 - Buy a private ssl.

4 - Support for oscommerce. Many hosts will offer oscommerce but few actually support it.

Jack

The hosting company I am talking to has these two options, which one do I go for and is it really

nessacry to have these?:

1. Shared SSL Space

2. SSL Space (Requires cert)

Anthor hoster has these options

1. SSL (dedicated 128 bit)

2. SSL (shared 128 bit) (each)

And what do you mean by "bujy private ssl" can you recommend anthing?

sky

A shared ssl is the hosts that they let you use, usually for free. It is no different, usualy, from one you purchase except that you cannot control the domain name. Some people consider that unprofessional but many sites use it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived