• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP4 or PHP5

RockToJade

Hello,

I already installed Apache, MySQL and MySQLcc on a XPP box. osCommerce is ready to go. But I wonder which PHP to go.

The knowledge base says osCommerce supports PHP4+. What will be the differences between 4 and 5 in terms of installation, configuration and maintenance?

Any word helps!

Go with php 4. You can get the code to work with php 5 but it requires a lot of extra work and doesn't really gain you anything.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I started developing my site on PHP4 and was forced to change over to PHP5 halfway through... I only had to make one change in the .htaccess file and my site is still working fine (as far as I can tell :)) My host told me that it was inevitable that "all servers will change to PHP5", and it would be best just to make the website work with it from day 1...

~bobsi18~

Sounds like a host covering themselves. ;) If you didn't have any problems, then you haven't installed some of the contributions that cause the problem. Search the forums for questions about database errors dealing with p.products_id. There are probably dozens of them, all due to php 5.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived