• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Site - AdWords just not working

shervin

About a month into business, 1600 clicks and only 6 orders. This is a bad conv. rate and I'm not even breaking even. I sell designer handbags, authentic, but so cheap that people can't believe they're real. I infer that this is the #1 issue. I've taken steps to show authenticity & trustworthiness so I don't know what else to do. All my traffic currently comes from Adwords as I employ no other ad methods nor am I indexed in google yet. My other store sells car audio products and did well from the moment we began adwords.

I just now halted all adwords cause it's doing nothing for me. I don't get email inquiries, phone calls, or orders.

Any advice/criticism about my site/marketing is appreciated.

adwords is junk. i've tried it myself and unless you have $$ to put forth a good campaign you're wasting your time with it

Just a note, I checked out your site, and your pink microfiber bag is listed as black leather in the title. See here: http://www.luxeurope.com/prada-handbag-br1...hobo-p-250.html

I did not have good success with Adwords either. 0.3% is about what I got. I have a specialty clothing store. Maybe adwords is better for other types of items, but I spent months on split-testing ads, optimizing keywords and text, etc., etc. I might try Adwords again when my site is more mature, but for now I've stopped the campaign.

I definitely think Adwords is good for most sites, but it's not the end all of internet marketing. Find other avenues to advertise. One idea is to do a search on your keywords and see what comes up. Any news or info sites? Any sites about the latest fashions, etc? Do they sell banner ads?

Good luck,

Adrienne

I have to agree about adwords sucking :blush: Seems like a money sucking machine.And about your "niche" they are somethings that I just don't buy online or not from well known vendors.Items such as High priced electronics, jewelry, clothes, and can see how some people would be weary of buying.I would promote your money back guarnantee more and throw up some customer reviews.As for advertising there alot more options availible..Froogle is one and it's free so that is a definetly must to do.And there are other CCP advertisers one recently I tried was Miva and was happy with the results.There is also adbrite and Avnads that I like really well and have had good conversions from.I have not got to try adengage yet but plan to soon. It seems like everytime I tried adwords I was able to rack up a massive bill but had nothing to show from it.

well you said you tried adwords and it failed, so how do you advertise your store now?

magazines, link exchanges and word of mouth from past customers

I have to agree about adwords sucking :blush: Seems like a money sucking machine.And about your "niche" they are somethings that I just don't buy online or not from well known vendors.Items such as High priced electronics, jewelry, clothes, and can see how some people would be weary of buying.I would promote your money back guarnantee more and throw up some customer reviews.As for advertising there alot more options availible..Froogle is one and it's free so that is a definetly must to do.And there are other CCP advertisers one recently I tried was Miva and was happy with the results.There is also adbrite and Avnads that I like really well and have had good conversions from.I have not got to try adengage yet but plan to soon. It seems like everytime I tried adwords I was able to rack up a massive bill but had nothing to show from it.

I tried out Miva (yesterday) and what I see today is that they charged me for 25 clicks and i checked the logs and what I found that there were only 2 persons on my site that came from the Miva search engine and they both work for Miva (i checked the IP's) so I would take a close look when running a campaign with Miva.

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

For starters I think the website looks sparse....A good bit of design clout would really help give the store more appeal.

Secondly you might find that selling them at a higher price combined with a good design will lend you the air of credibility that you feel customers need. I would imagine your target market is women so your site needs to appeal to this demograph rather than look so sterile.

B)-->

QUOTE(craigie b @ Jun 14 2006, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For starters I think the website looks sparse....A good bit of design clout would really help give the store more appeal.

Secondly you might find that selling them at a higher price combined with a good design will lend you the air of credibility that you feel customers need. I would imagine your target market is women so your site needs to appeal to this demograph rather than look so sterile.

What kind of design changes would you recommend? I thought mine looked pretty good and clean, mainly easy to navigate and understand because I think the women that shop here are not as computer literate and would get lost.

magazines, link exchanges and word of mouth from past customers

Magazines... how do you advertise in magazines without a large initial investment? Isn't it about $500 even for the small classified section in the back?

ok, forgive me for being blunt as it is only my opinion, and I could be wrong.

First of all your colour scheme is very harsh. Red can have many different visual effects depending on what you set it against. I used red mainly for this site www.silvershoeforge.com and it manages to set a warm, cosy, rich feeling because I used complimenting colours.

You have opted for a two tone (red and white) colour scheme which makes the red look angry and quite garish. The white further accenuates this because white is perfect for showing up other colours in perfect clarity (I hope that makes sense).

The reason I chose the word 'sterile' is because it reminds me of a hospital uniform i.e. white outfit with red cross.

Another thing worth considering is your products....the pink hand bag clashes terribly with the red so the handbag isn;t being shown in the best light since the viewer might subconsciously pick up on the clashing and not see the bag for what it is. Pastel shades of colour might not clash so much with products.

A simple remedy is to change your colour scheme. Find some matching colours and avoid basic primary hues. Try looking for a colour scheme generator on google so you can find complementary colours.

If your site looks luxurious then the customer will probably think they've struck gold when they see your prices!!!!

The site nav by the way is perfectly functional and that is what I preffer to use when I design stuff because it works so well. Its not the navigation but the presentation ;)

Magazines... how do you advertise in magazines without a large initial investment? Isn't it about $500 even for the small classified section in the back?

it's usually a lot more than $500 if you're working with a large-scale reputable magazine for even the smallest ad and yes there's generally a big chunk of investment involved

B)-->

QUOTE(craigie b @ Jun 14 2006, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, forgive me for being blunt as it is only my opinion, and I could be wrong.

First of all your colour scheme is very harsh. Red can have many different visual effects depending on what you set it against. I used red mainly for this site www.silvershoeforge.com and it manages to set a warm, cosy, rich feeling because I used complimenting colours.

You have opted for a two tone (red and white) colour scheme which makes the red look angry and quite garish. The white further accenuates this because white is perfect for showing up other colours in perfect clarity (I hope that makes sense).

The reason I chose the word 'sterile' is because it reminds me of a hospital uniform i.e. white outfit with red cross.

Another thing worth considering is your products....the pink hand bag clashes terribly with the red so the handbag isn;t being shown in the best light since the viewer might subconsciously pick up on the clashing and not see the bag for what it is. Pastel shades of colour might not clash so much with products.

A simple remedy is to change your colour scheme. Find some matching colours and avoid basic primary hues. Try looking for a colour scheme generator on google so you can find complementary colours.

If your site looks luxurious then the customer will probably think they've struck gold when they see your prices!!!!

The site nav by the way is perfectly functional and that is what I preffer to use when I design stuff because it works so well. Its not the navigation but the presentation ;)

Your bluntness is appreciated. I need to understand what others think.

The red theme was a recent change. I started out with a dark theme but changed because I thought it was possibly too depressing/masculine. But I just got a new, better monitor and I realized how bright the red is. I had intended for a more pastel color but it comes out as regular red. So I have changed the theme back to the dark one - check it out http://www.luxeurope.com

I agree that the dark is too depressing and boring. Try a pastel pink or something in the light blue/lavender family.

Adrienne

I agree that the dark is too depressing and boring. Try a pastel pink or something in the light blue/lavender family.

Adrienne

Ok, I think so too... so I dumped that and switched to a lavender or soft purplish color.. whatever you want to call it. Let me know what you think about this. I'll probably try some other color themes later.

I like the new color scheme a lot! However, I've got 2 more suggestions. When you mouse over the header, the cursor reads "osCommerce", which is meaningless to your customers. Change the "alt" tag on your header graphic.

More importantly, there is a large amount of white space at the top of the page above your "All new products..." tag line. First, it makes the site look a bit sparce which is bad. More importantly, this is PRIME REAL ESTATE on your website that isn't being used. Put something up there. A nice photo of your bags, a graphic with a Free Shipping offer or bolder Guaranteed Genuine message, a note about what payments you take (visa, mc logos) or maybe you can come up with something even better. Look around at some bigger websites and see what they are doing with that space, but surely don't leave it empty.

Adrienne

I like the new color scheme a lot! However, I've got 2 more suggestions. When you mouse over the header, the cursor reads "osCommerce", which is meaningless to your customers. Change the "alt" tag on your header graphic.

More importantly, there is a large amount of white space at the top of the page above your "All new products..." tag line. First, it makes the site look a bit sparce which is bad. More importantly, this is PRIME REAL ESTATE on your website that isn't being used. Put something up there. A nice photo of your bags, a graphic with a Free Shipping offer or bolder Guaranteed Genuine message, a note about what payments you take (visa, mc logos) or maybe you can come up with something even better. Look around at some bigger websites and see what they are doing with that space, but surely don't leave it empty.

Adrienne

thanks... did that.. made a free shipping offer

I do ok with adwords, an average of 0.8% conversion but on average sales of ?30 it works out ok. Plus there is repeat orders from customers and orders that are placed later and aren't tracked to adwords.

I'd suggest changing keywords and changing the ad text as this can make a big difference. I have a few different ad groups setup and the conversion rate varies from 0.15% to 3.85%.

Its not for everyone and largely it depends on your market but it can work.

One thing that might be scaring your customers away is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I would think, well if you aren't an authorized dealer, where are you getting the bags from?

I know you have to have it, but maybe you could put a link directly under it, with some text like,

Read our authenticity guarantee, and link to your FAQ page where it explains it. Otherwise, people might be leaving before they ever get to the FAQ page. Because you said you are getting visitors, but they aren't staying.

I'm no expert, believe me, just a shopper :D but it's a thought.

Cathi

One thing that might be scaring your customers away is the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I would think, well if you aren't an authorized dealer, where are you getting the bags from?

I know you have to have it, but maybe you could put a link directly under it, with some text like,

Read our authenticity guarantee, and link to your FAQ page where it explains it. Otherwise, people might be leaving before they ever get to the FAQ page. Because you said you are getting visitors, but they aren't staying.

I'm no expert, believe me, just a shopper :D but it's a thought.

Cathi

thanks.. I saw that disclaimer on a competitor and thought I might need it to avoid liability. but ill do what you said.

people are staying.. looking around.. some add to cart... but so few actually purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

There are common mistakes that people make with adwords ... first of all in thinking it is easy.

Adwords is a skill that requires a lot of testing and tweaking. The good news is that when you test and tweak, you can see your results in 24 hours ... whether good or bad.

The 2nd area where people fail is in too few keywords. You need hundreds of keywords for each ad, and most people put in about 20. Successful adwords marketers will have at least 500 keywords.

Remember to use the negative keywords, and so forth.

Don't get all your suggestions from adwords. There are better tools at overture and word tracker.

Yes there are people that will say that adwords is useless. But if that was the case, then it wouldn't exist. Don't give up on it!

Gin

Adwords works good for me, I have a 4% conversion rate. It depends a lot on the product/market and a lot of tweaking of ads/keywords. What works for my market won't necessarly work for someone elses.

Archived