• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contributions, what on earth do I do with them?

sallypointer

I'm very sorry, and I know most of you will be laughing at me, but I'm sitting here in floods of tears after spending 5 hours trying to change one little thing in my new shop and I'm so confused I don't know what to do. Every question I ask is very kindly answered, but it all boils down to 'go and look in the contributions'. Well I have, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them.

I know its a learning curve, I know it will slowly start to make sense, but at this moment I need talking through the first 'fix' to get me started.

All I want to do is get the shipping to show more than one table so I can offer UK postage, Europe postage and US/CA/AUS airmail.

Would someone please take pity on me and talk me through whatever it is I'm supposed to do with the acres of contributions, in which somewhere, allegedly, is the instructions I need. At the moment I feel as if I've gone for my first driving lesson and been put straight on the motorway whilst the instructor takes a nap!

I'm happy to keep the rest of my site with the default settings until I have the hang of things, but I can't start to sell anything until I can offer accurate postage, so this one is a bit critical.

* section removed due to allready having a post on the issue, which would then create a multiposting.

Yeah, I know the feeling. It can be very frustrating while learning oscommerce but it does, eventually, pay off.

As for your problem, what module are you using for shippnig now?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

After almost 1yr. of working with OSC, I finally managed to be familiar enought with it's concepts so I'm now able to modify things without screwing them up (too much).

I also created a test site on the same server, where I'm the only one who can get to it, for development. This way your live site remains stable.

The tradeoff is to hire a company to maintain your site and pay, or learn as you go and have it be free.

Yeah, I know the feeling. It can be very frustrating while learning oscommerce but it does, eventually, pay off.

As for your problem, what module are you using for shippnig now?

Jack

Thanks Jack, I'm sure you are right and it will get there. I think its something in includes/modules/shipping/zones that I need to change, but I just can't work it out

Oh good, you chose an easy one. All you need to do is open the file named zones.php that is in the includes/modules/shipping/ directory. Once you have that opened in your editor, find this line of code

$this->num_zones = 1;

and change it to

$this->num_zones = 3;

where the three is however many different zones you want to use. Then go into admin->modules->shipping and click on Remove for the Zones module and then click on Install for it. You should now see extra zones listed. Just fill in each one depending upon your needs. If you get stuck, just ask again.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Oh good, you chose an easy one. All you need to do is open the file named zones.php that is in the includes/modules/shipping/ directory. Once you have that opened in your editor, find this line of code
$this->num_zones = 1;

and change it to

$this->num_zones = 3;

where the three is however many different zones you want to use. Then go into admin->modules->shipping and click on Remove for the Zones module and then click on Install for it. You should now see extra zones listed. Just fill in each one depending upon your needs. If you get stuck, just ask again.

Jack

{{{hug}}}yay! That worked. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I had managed to change the code yesterday but no-one explained that I needed to uninstall and re-install the shipping!

I'm sitting here in floods of tears after spending 5 hours trying to change one little thing in my new shop and I'm so confused I don't know what to do.

i don't know about the floods of tears, but i'll bet you a dollar that EVERYbody here has spent 5 hours trying, and failing, to fix one little thing in their shop. i know i have!

Man, can I relate. In fact, the reason I'm replying to this post is I couldn't even figure out how to start a new thread, so I had to search for a post on what I wanted to talk about just so I could reply to it. Nothing like not being able to figure out how to post to a forum to make a person feel stupid. Yeesh.

I've been working on my site, http://www.happyfuzzyyarn.com, since January. When I started I didn't know php from a pig's ass. Considering that, I'm pretty proud of how far I've come. I've got the site looking the way I want, finally, and I used a couple of contributions. But there are things that still don't work, and I'm tired of spending HOURS searching the forums reading about contributions. Half of what I read goes way over my head. I'm not a programmer. I'm not a web developer. I'm a fiber artist who wants to sell her yarn. I figured I should be able to figure it out -- I've had a website for years, I've taught myself html, I've even taken programming classes. But those were years ago. LISP and Pascal aren't really relevant anymore. I'm smart, and I can figure things out. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have gotten this far.

I'm smart enough to see I'm wasting my time. Someone who knew what they were doing could probably do what needs to be done in 3-4 hours. I'll be lucky if I get it done in another 100. I could dye a lot of yarn in 100 hours, and enjoy it a lot more.

I'd like to hire someone to do what remains to be done the site, which is:

- After a customer pays in PayPal, they don't get sent back to the site. Even if they hit continue, they go back to the site, but not to a section that has anything to do with finishing the transaction. I downloaded the IPN contribution but didn't install it yet, because while reading the install document, I realized I have no idea how to configure it. Private Key? Public Certificates? Certificate ID? I have absolutely no idea where to get any of those. I read the support thread about that contribution, and it just gives me a headache.

- I'd like to add an optional insurance charge to the shipping. 'Cause, you know, it's not complicated enough the way it is now.

- I'd like to offer gift certificates. I know there's the voucher thing, but I can't figure out how to set it up so shipping isn't added to them (I'm doing shipping based on dollar amount, not weight). I did find some clip art I'd like to use if I do gift certificates.

- I'd like to have a box where people can enter a coupon code during checkout -- maybe that goes with the gift certificates? I was thinking about if anyone locally wanted to buy something, they wouldn't be paying for shipping, just the merchandise and sales tax, so there'd be a code I could give people so they wouldn't pay for shipping. Stuff like that. Or if there was a sale for certain people, enter a code, get 20% off.

- Newsletter - I tried to send a test newsletter to myself. At first I thought it didn't work. Later I realized I had received it, but it had gone into my spam folder. If it's going to go into MY spam folder, then it's probably going to be interpreted as spam by every other email program that receives it. When I just sent an email to myself, that didn't go to the spam folder, so it's not the email address that's being interpreted as spam. I get other newsletters at that address that don't go into the spam folder. There's something about that newsletter that marks it as spam.

- Newsletter pt. 2 - I'd like customers to have the option of signing up for the newsletter without signing up for an account. I just want another box on the right under the other one. I remember there was something about product notification there that you were supposed to comment out if you weren't going to use it. When I commented it out, it didn't have any effect, so I deleted it (because I'm NOT going to do product notification. I didn't realize you could use it for any other kind of newsletter. Grr).

- Packing Slips? Invoices? Since I haven't seen a successful transaction yet, I don't even know what happens when someone comes back to the site and the transaction is completed. I need to print an invoice or packing slip. How do I do that?

- Any other things I don't know about because I haven't seen a completed transaction yet.

I know I need to change some of the text on the front page where it says "under construction" and that's no big deal. I'll do that.

So, if anyone is interested in taking this on, please email me privately. Let me know what you would charge (and if you would consider bartering for yarn! Otherwise it'll be PayPal or a check in US dollars), send me URLs of any sites you've worked on, and any questions you have.

Enough of this nonsense. I'm going to go spin now.

Riin Gill

http://www.happyfuzzy.yarn.com

Riin

I read your post and I think you might do better starting a new thread with this post to find someone to help you with the things you want to get done. I know there are many people who do osc modifacations for $ and would be happy to help you. If want to post something go:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

On the right hand side near the top you will see a button for new topic which is how you start a new thread.

I know there is no forum for comercial posts or proffesional services on this forum which is where a post like this belongs so i think the general forum is close enough.

If you don't get the resonse you need you might try PMing (Private message) to some of the users who are most active on the forums. Some of them are for hire.

If you click on the "My Assistant" link on the top of forum pages you can see who are the all time posting leaders. You might try some of them.

Good luck with your site.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Riin

I read your post and I think you might do better starting a new thread with this post to find someone to help you with the things you want to get done. I know there are many people who do osc modifacations for $ and would be happy to help you. If want to post something go:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

On the right hand side near the top you will see a button for new topic which is how you start a new thread.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Riin

Archived