The e-commerce.

Help: How to use the Download option

GoTTi

Here is what i did:

i enabled the download option under configuration

i made a products/attribute: Product Option: Download - Option Values: Album

i put a test product on the page

i went back to product attributes, selected the test product, and goto edit

now there is a File Name slot. do i put http://www.site.com/download/filename.zip or just filename.zip in there?

i put http://www.site.com/download/filename.zip in that field.

i did a test transaction using paypal IPN notification. After I did that, i went to paypal and declined the payment. it updated the charge to declined on paypal and the cart. i went into orders, and updated the order to delivered.

my questions are:

1. where is the download link suppose to be?

2. am i configuring this right?

thanks in advance. i have read the manual, and it doesn't describe the details of the download option clearly or im just not understanding it or reading the wrong thing...

The download link is provided in the order confirmation email and should also appear on the My Account page.

In the file name slot on the Product Attributes page you just enter the filename. The path is built automatically by osC.

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing it correctly.

I believe there is a contribution regarding downloads that you should look for.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

The code should already be in place to not charge for downloads in the shipping modules.

I'm not sure on this but I believe that if you do not have shipping modules defined and the customer is purchasing a download they will be presented with the payment page. Don't quote me on that but give it a try and see what happens.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Are you testing with the same items?

I am thinking that the products you are testing with now have a weight value and therefore are not considered as downloads and thus require shipping.

Are you testing with the same items?

I am thinking that the products you are testing with now have a weight value and therefore are not considered as downloads and thus require shipping.

How do you stop someone from browsing to the location of your .zip and .mp3 downloads and downloading them manually? I just put it in the browser via the download path and was able to download the files. Its not supposed to work like that right? What permissions do I need to prevent that?

Admin > Configuration > Download > set Download by Redirect to True. ;)

You should also set a short expiration time period.

there is a .htaccess key in the downloads folder, they shouldnt be able to get in there anwyays

as for the weight, all the downloadble items i have are set as 0.00 weight.

Admin > Configuration > Download > set Download by Redirect to True. ;)

You should also set a short expiration time period.

I'm on a Windows system. I thought that was only for Unix as far as setting the download by Redirect to True?

wouldnt know answer to that one.

as far as this shipping problem im having now for some reason it just doesnt make sense. it was working before now when any order with only a download item, its adding $ for shipping.

NOW im having a problem with the downloading. instead of it downloading the album, its only downloading 2kb files.

its not downloading the files completely, just corrupted files apparently, not even close to the size of the zip files i have in the download folder.

any ideas

• 3 weeks later...
NOW im having a problem with the downloading. instead of it downloading the album, its only downloading 2kb files.

its not downloading the files completely, just corrupted files apparently, not even close to the size of the zip files i have in the download folder.

any ideas

I am also having the same problem with downloads adding a shipping cost. I am developing my osCommerce site and have some products to ship and some to download. I would like the downloads not to have a shipping cost, but I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone help? I would much appreciate it.

I am also having the problem of the downloaded files being corrupt. They are only 1 k. It was working until a few days ago and there is no shipping involved. The only thing I've changed is some product categories... maybe I'll post this as a new topic...

Archived