• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing Servers

Hello all,

Posted on the wrong board before!

I am in the process of changing hosting services. My question is when I make the move, I will change ip addresses, and the folders will change. Currently my files sit in osCommerce/catalog. When I move, they all will reside on the root directy. Am I able to use the osCommerce back-up/restore feature, and if so what kind of problems will I face.....Since this is a live site, changing nameservers will take time and I wan't to be ready to go when propagation is complete......

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE SUPPORT

You will need to change your cnfigure files to use the new path. The ip won't matter. The best way to move the site is to share the database through the hosts remote access option, if your old host allows that. If they don't, then you need to block the old site while the move is going on or you could end up with lost orders and/or customers. To block the site, upload an index.html file that says something like, "Down for maintenance..." and change the name of the includes directory.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello all,

Posted on the wrong board before!

I am in the process of changing hosting services. My question is when I make the move, I will change ip addresses, and the folders will change. Currently my files sit in osCommerce/catalog. When I move, they all will reside on the root directy. Am I able to use the osCommerce back-up/restore feature, and if so what kind of problems will I face.....Since this is a live site, changing nameservers will take time and I wan't to be ready to go when propagation is complete......

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE SUPPORT

To move site do the following

1. backup your database using the backup tool in your osC admin

2. ftp all your files to your local computer

3. create new database and user (making sure you assign user to database)

4. populate your new database with sql file from last backup.

5. edit your two configure.php files to reflect the new location

6. upload all your files to the new server.

You should be good to go.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived