• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

RSS News

Jack_mcs

The infobox displays a number of news feeds, depending on the setting in admin. When you click on More Info, a page is opened where the feed is expanded. The More Info link is a standard link. If you mouse over it, you should see the link in the browser. If it is not there, then something is wrong with the code. If it is but is wrong, maybe it has to do with the feed you are using. Try one of those mentioned in the readme to see if it works correctly to isolate the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack,

A few questions and/or problems:

I just installed it, and everything went smoothly (thank you for the simple install).

Like Dameko, I get the same error when I go to artifexshirts.com/rss_reader.

Yet for some reason, it works when it is included in my column_left: http://www.artifexshirts.com/news.php. Here there is a list of the default rss feeds.

I'm curious as to why the /rss_reader page is not working properly.

Also, I cannot figure out how to change what is selected in my feed! I have gone to my admin -> tools -> RSS Create and created a new feed, but it does not show up there. Where would this new feed appear? And how do I change the default feeds?

Lastly, I would like this feed to be on my index.php page; however, I have neither column_left nor column_right included. Is there anyways I can put this feed on my index page?

Sorry for the burdensome post, but I really appreciate all you have done for the oscommerce community.

Thanks,

Chris

hey jack,

i would like to move the contrib from the shop area to the admin area so i can monitor updates to oscommerce contribs each time i log into my shop. that being the case is it a simple case of moving the shop area files into the admin section or, off the top of your head, is there more to it than that?

regards,

stuart

A crash reduces your expensive computer to a simple stone.

There's no reason why it won't work if the appropriate changes are made. You would need to follow the instructions but make the changes to the admin files instead of the shops (admin/includes/filenames.php instead of includes/filenames.php). The include page that displays the feeds may not work in admin without some adjustement since admin handles the includes differently.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Warning: fopen(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /myserver/test_shop/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 112

Warning: fopen(http://kaskaderos.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /myserver/test_shop/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 112

could not open XML input

is there any solution for the fopen problem?

Edited by chameleon

Some hosts have the open url option turned off for security reasons. You will need to ask them if they will enable it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for this great contribution. I have just installed it and it's working perfectly.

I just have 1 layout problem: the title RSS News appears twice in my right column.

I have tried to amend the rss news box without success.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Florence

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for this great contribution. I have just installed it and it's working perfectly.

I just have 1 layout problem: the title RSS News appears twice in my right column.

I have tried to amend the rss news box without success.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Florence

Hi Jack,

I've found the problem, it was due to my own style infobox.

Best regards,

Florence

Hi Jack, thanks for the contribution.

I was wanting to display feeds in a regular page such as information.php as opposed to the infobox.

Not sure best way to code this. Thanks for the help!

Steve

I haven't tried it but you should be able to copy the code from the infobox into the information page. But I don't know that the links would work properly that way.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

I have instellled this contrib and it all works fine apart from the top link doesn't work and then the next does. The next doesnt etc

This is to read more of the article.

I would also like to just display the feed in a table rather than the info box. I'm not sure which file to look at to take the code out of - I assume its in include/boxes/rss_news.php

Thanks a lot

I was wanting to display feeds in a regular page such as information.php as opposed to the infobox.

Because of the same reason I've installed this old contribution (jan 4 '05) based on your work.

It gives a clean page.. without the feed :-(

I would love to have a rss page (no info boxes). Would you like to overthink to add such a page to your latest RSS News contribution Jack?

If it fails with other feeds, then it is a coding problem, which I would think would have come up by now. If not, it is the feed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have installed this contribution flawlessly. it can be viewed here

The thing is that if you take a look of my column and the info box seems screwed e.g: no bullets, no line break, no images

even after "more news" is clicked. the rss_reader.php seems in bad spacing.

The feeder is actually my own blog (created with wordpress) and using RSS 2.0. Here is the main blog

Please help me.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for your contrib. It's the best one in my opinion (and I've tried all of them).

Though I ran in some trouble. If I am clicking on More Feeds, I get the same strange error as some of the others: "Cannot redeclare startelement() (previously declared in .../rss_reader.php:46) in catalog/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 68".

I assume that a variable is already defined, but I cannot find out which one. The other thing is German Umlauts. I got some cryptic characters - strangely only in the headers.

Can anyone help?

The can't redclare problem is due to the code being included more than once. That happens a lot with templated sites. But even if yours isn't using a template, you will need to isolate where the extra call is coming from. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I haven't ran across a problem with the special characters before. If you want to post the feed I will look at it but it may well be some time before I do.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons