• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie to SEO

smithveg

Thank alot to all the discussion. I get better understand to this topics.

Though, i still have a couple of questions which i don't understand.

1. what's the mean to google's new 'wildcard' exclusion system. the thread said google now allows 'wildcards to be specified like '*.cgi'... Can i know what is the purpose of 'cgi-bin' directory? it's use for what?

2. will the .htaccess will block the spider's way to view our sites? because i saw htaccess in every single folder. However i'm not using htaccess to secure my folder. Instead i'm just uses the hosting site;s service - 'password protected directory' function. I'm just afraid that .htaccess file will block the spider's ways to suft my pages.

3. how can i force the bot to index my 'view large image' pop up? i heard it can easily appear in page of search result on google (or other index site)... Do i need to add some extra coding in popup.php to helps my ranking?

4. from a thread said "Those who didn't include robots.txt files excluding those pages are now having to create hacks to redirect customers to the homepage of their stores"... I'm not sure what's means, robots.txt file is NECESSARY to your pages is it?

5. 'Back Link' is from others site like to us. How about Anchor, is it <a href.....></a>. This is anchor that they meant to?

I know this post was long long ago. No matter how, i hope somebody will come here and give me some ideas to solve all these questions...

Thankyou

smith thumbsup.gif

Hello World! ^.^ I'm a Internet naive. Browse my working profile

Malaysia Web Services - OPerion Website Marketing System

Thank alot to all the discussion. I get better understand to this topics.

Though, i still have a couple of questions which i don't understand.

1. what's the mean to google's new 'wildcard' exclusion system. the thread said google now allows 'wildcards to be specified like '*.cgi'... Can i know what is the purpose of 'cgi-bin' directory? it's use for what?

2. will the .htaccess will block the spider's way to view our sites? because i saw htaccess in every single folder. However i'm not using htaccess to secure my folder. Instead i'm just uses the hosting site;s service - 'password protected directory' function. I'm just afraid that .htaccess file will block the spider's ways to suft my pages.

3. how can i force the bot to index my 'view large image' pop up? i heard it can easily appear in page of search result on google (or other index site)... Do i need to add some extra coding in popup.php to helps my ranking?

4. from a thread said "Those who didn't include robots.txt files excluding those pages are now having to create hacks to redirect customers to the homepage of their stores"... I'm not sure what's means, robots.txt file is NECESSARY to your pages is it?

5. 'Back Link' is from others site like to us. How about Anchor, is it <a href.....></a>. This is anchor that they meant to?

I know this post was long long ago. No matter how, i hope somebody will come here and give me some ideas to solve all these questions...

Thankyou

smith thumbsup.gif

I more thing.s... I had read many thread about e-marketing and seo in this osc forum.

I also read some articles from google search

Some people say do not try to use the 'thousand submittion link' program. It may hurt your web sites and get banned in search engines.

But some others people say you can use 'e-lite' software. I never use this s/w yet. I would like to know whether the 'e-lite' s/w will brings harm to my web sites?

If its really good, e-lite definetly could save our treasure time. is that...

Some experienced person share this knowledge to me, thank you

smith ;)

Hi there you are asking alot of different somewhat connected questions here. You might get better response from people if you ask less in each post. People might not want to respond if they can't respond to all your questions.

As for you question #2 .htaccess will not block robots access to your site unless you specify which files are forbidden. What can block seach engine bots is a robots.txt file. This specifies what files are not to be crawled. You want this some of your pages should not be in search engine indexs.

Here is what I disallow in my robots.txt file.

Disallow: /admin

Disallow: /data

Disallow: /account.php

Disallow: /advanced_search.php

Disallow: /checkout_shipping.php

Disallow: /create_account.php

Disallow: /login.php

Disallow: /password_forgotten.php

Disallow: /popup_image.php

Disallow: /shopping_cart.php

Hope this helps

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Hi there you are asking alot of different somewhat connected questions here. You might get better response from people if you ask less in each post. People might not want to respond if they can't respond to all your questions.

As for you question #2 .htaccess will not block robots access to your site unless you specify which files are forbidden. What can block seach engine bots is a robots.txt file. This specifies what files are not to be crawled. You want this some of your pages should not be in search engine indexs.

Here is what I disallow in my robots.txt file.

Disallow: /admin

Disallow: /data

Disallow: /account.php

Disallow: /advanced_search.php

Disallow: /checkout_shipping.php

Disallow: /create_account.php

Disallow: /login.php

Disallow: /password_forgotten.php

Disallow: /popup_image.php

Disallow: /shopping_cart.php

Hope this helps

Thank for you pointing my fault that i was made in forum post.

I will set it in my mind, hehe...

smithveg :thumbsup:

Archived