• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Neewbie needs help/clarification about payment options

tom182

Hi all,

Firstly I was very happy to see an active forum here so hopefully I can get some clarity to my questions.

I have never setup a shopping cart before and this was a 'baptism by fire' job for me and all seems to be wel apart from the payment options.

I installed my OScommerce catalog and was able to customise my pages (colour, images products etc) pretty easily I know didly squat about Php etc but use dreamweaver for designing my site. My Shopping facility is pretty much there but I am stuck with the payment modules. I spoke to my hosting company today to see if they could explain the procedure of payment -which they couldnt but did manage in making me more confused.

We have 4 products in the shop (more to follow) that we will sell via credit card over the web. I was informed by the hosting company to use paypal or other as they will do the authorization and not to opt for the 'credit card' payment option as we do not use a dedicated server. Question 1: is that the correct method?

Question 2: I now believe that i should go with paypal or other, in that case does that automatically mean a buyer will leave my site and go to the other parties site (eg paypal) during the purchasing procedure?

Question 3 if question 2 is correct and the buyer goes to paypal or other, what was the point in me doing all that work in OScommerce?

I would appreciate any help in this as I am 90% there and would be chuffed to sort it out myself (via the forum) . I hope this makes sense

Thanks again,

Regards

Tom

Yeah tho osc forum is quite active and is a great resourse.

paypal is the low budget option. They would just be handleing the actual payment processing the rest of the transaction and the shopping cart would be handled by osc.

You would not be wasting your time setting up the site.

If you are serious in the long run it is better to have your own merchant account and gateway and of course your own ssl cert.

there are lots of sites in the live sites area you can check out to see how paypal works.

Edited by ddp

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

thanks ddp

we have already purchased a ssl for the site and swapped over to a dedicated ip address. my thinking on that is becasue we upgraded our hosting account from basic to business we should be able to do withour resortingto paypal,

is a merchant account and gateway difficult to setup? who would do the verification in that case?

Thanks,

Tom

thanks ddp

we have already purchased a ssl for the site and swapped over to a dedicated ip address. my thinking on that is becasue we upgraded our hosting account from basic to business we should be able to do withour resortingto paypal,

is a merchant account and gateway difficult to setup? who would do the verification in that case?

Thanks,

Tom

Not sure what you mean by verification. Do you mean of the credit cards?

A merchant account is basically a business bank account. If you do not have a business set up legit nobody will give you one. A gateway does the acutal processing of the payment and then transfers the money to your merchant account.

Gateways give better rates to better customers. If you process $100 per month you will get a higher discount % that if you process $250,000 per month. I know when I recently swiched processors I got a much better rate as I was now a much better customer.

If you are in it for the long haul this is the way to go.

However Paypal is a nice way to test the water without a large invenstment.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Hi all,

Firstly I was very happy to see an active forum here so hopefully I can get some clarity to my questions.

I have never setup a shopping cart before and this was a 'baptism by fire' job for me and all seems to be wel apart from the payment options.

I installed my OScommerce catalog and was able to customise my pages (colour, images products etc) pretty easily I know didly squat about Php etc but use dreamweaver for designing my site. My Shopping facility is pretty much there but I am stuck with the payment modules. I spoke to my hosting company today to see if they could explain the procedure of payment -which they couldnt but did manage in making me more confused.

We have 4 products in the shop (more to follow) that we will sell via credit card over the web. I was informed by the hosting company to use paypal or other as they will do the authorization and not to opt for the 'credit card' payment option as we do not use a dedicated server. Question 1: is that the correct method?

Question 2: I now believe that i should go with paypal or other, in that case does that automatically mean a buyer will leave my site and go to the other parties site (eg paypal) during the purchasing procedure?

Question 3 if question 2 is correct and the buyer goes to paypal or other, what was the point in me doing all that work in OScommerce?

I would appreciate any help in this as I am 90% there and would be chuffed to sort it out myself (via the forum) . I hope this makes sense

Thanks again,

Regards

Tom

What ever payment method you use that requires CC processing, the customer will leave your site anyway.

Why set up OSC? Well, without it, how will the customer know that you exist.

Unless you are huge, then paypal is one of many payment option that you can use economically.

Not all advice that you get on the forums is relevent, so you need to do your own research and determine what is right for you.

Ok, I am in the same arena question-wise. I have searched the documentation and forum trying to find the answer to this question which is related to this thread somewhat.

Fortunately I have figured out how to make the program work and have installed the paypal module.

What I am missing is when I make a test purchase on OScommerce it goes like this: I enter my account informaiton, name adress all that jazz. Then I submit and it takes me to paypal where I have to enter the information all over again. I am not so sure my customer/potential customer is going to want to enter their name, address and everything twice. How does (do I get) OsCommerce to transmit this info to paypal? Will it work with a simple paypal business account or do I need the website pro?