• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Not Indexing the Front Page Properly

coultog

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this, as I seem to have spent a lot of time searching for the answer to no avail :)

When I first created my OSCommerce site, Google came and indexed the site, however, it seemed to only pick up on my manufacturer list. I read a number of posts on this forum and found out that it's often better to remove the manufacturer, which I did. Since May 2nd, I've been waiting patientlyfor google to come around and re-index us. I found today, it has, however, it's listing the categories with the number of products in each category (we're the second down: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=na...G:en&q=clockco) - the only problem been my site hasn't had most of these categories for about three weeks!

Interestingly google sitemaps doesn't show google visiting since May 2nd.

I'm really stuck! Is there a way to tell Google not to look at the categories section and direct its attention toward the centre of the page where my site text is? I'm thinking a robots.txt file "may" be the answer, but there's so many people out there with OSComm sites, I can't believe it's a widespread problem??

Any thoughts grately received.

Thanks, Gary

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this, as I seem to have spent a lot of time searching for the answer to no avail :)

When I first created my OSCommerce site, Google came and indexed the site, however, it seemed to only pick up on my manufacturer list. I read a number of posts on this forum and found out that it's often better to remove the manufacturer, which I did. Since May 2nd, I've been waiting patientlyfor google to come around and re-index us. I found today, it has, however, it's listing the categories with the number of products in each category (we're the second down: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=na...G:en&q=clockco) - the only problem been my site hasn't had most of these categories for about three weeks!

Interestingly google sitemaps doesn't show google visiting since May 2nd.

I'm really stuck! Is there a way to tell Google not to look at the categories section and direct its attention toward the centre of the page where my site text is? I'm thinking a robots.txt file "may" be the answer, but there's so many people out there with OSComm sites, I can't believe it's a widespread problem??

Any thoughts grately received.

Thanks, Gary

It can sometimes take months after you are spidered by google to appear in their index.

You might want to add a meta tags contribution. I recommend Header Tags controller as it is more customizable there is also an automatic contribution called dynamic tags.

Look for threads on SEO and see what others have done as well.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

It can sometimes take months after you are spidered by google to appear in their index.

You might want to add a meta tags contribution. I recommend Header Tags controller as it is more customizable there is also an automatic contribution called dynamic tags.

Look for threads on SEO and see what others have done as well.

Hi,

Maybe it's a terminology thing as I'm new to SEO, however, I'm listing in google and they have a cache of my index page. They just don't seem to have picked up any of my written text in the centre of my website, merely the categories. When you use the term "spidered" are you talking about a deep scan of the site please? I'll have a look for the Header Tags Contribution which you describe.

Thanks! Gary

Archived