• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

dbase that contains only quantities & prices ok?

dom1949

Good morning,

I am a newbie with OsCommerce.

I have a client who has hundreds of thousands of photos and wants to use e-commerce. It is not feasible to build a database with all these pictures; but I can't have OsC without a database. So, after thinking, I thought that I probably could build a database with quantities and prices. The quantities could be called from a javascript function and the database could calculate the cost.

Advice? Suggestions?

TIA

Dominique

I'm confused. If it's not feasible to build a database for the photos, then how is it feasible to build a database for quantities and prices for each photo? What exactly are you looking for?

Yes. I'm confused too!

I am trying to figure out how to do this without creating a database for all the photos, since the client does not want to do that.

All photos come in the same specific sizes, with the same specific price attached to it.

I was thinking that the customer could choose a photo by name, i.e., "dance105," enter it in a photo name field, and then enter the quantity wanted. The database could then be invoked from the quantity and give the price.

I am trying to figure out how to do this without creating a database for all the photos, since the client does not want to do that.

Thanks for helping.

Dominique

If all photos come in one size and price, then that's simpler.

How are customers supposed to pick out the photo(s) they want to buy?

The photos are posted on the website. The customer uses Adobe photo gallery to upload them. The photos come in different sizes and according prices.

Dominique

I am not clear as to what I need.

There are way too many photos to enter in a database (hundred of thousands). But the client wants to sell over the Internet using an e-commerce solution.

So what do I do without a database. I have to have one to use OsC. I am thinking I can have a database that will contain the following tables: photo (with sizes and prices; for example: 3x5 = $10, 4x6 = $12, etc), another table for clients (name, address, phone number, etc).

So this database has everything but the product.

Is that possible?

Dominique

I am not clear as to what I need.

There are way too many photos to enter in a database (hundred of thousands). But the client wants to sell over the Internet using an e-commerce solution.

So what do I do without a database. I have to have one to use OsC. I am thinking I can have a database that will contain the following tables: photo (with sizes and prices; for example: 3x5 = $10, 4x6 = $12, etc), another table for clients (name, address, phone number, etc).

So this database has everything but the product.

Is that possible?

Dominique

If you think more in terms of how OSC is already set up and try to come up with ways you can use it as closely as it is used now, then you might have an easier time of it.

When you say there are too many photos to enter in a database, it seems to me you're assuming that they'd have to be entered manually. There's no reason you can't have an automated script that updates the database based on filesystem contents. You also haven't described how photos are "posted on the website." Is this an automated process? What does it really mean? Does someone upload the files to the server and manually add them as entries in this website? Somehow I doubt it.

Take into consideration what automated processes are already in place. They can be extended to also create a product entry every time a photo is added, and it's not an extremely complicated feat to write an automated script that reads through a folder(s) and creates database entries based on the filenames.

Don't reinvent the wheel, and don't assume that thousands of products must be entered manually. If you can, outline what you already have and outline what you actually need. You're jumping ahead of yourself by saying "no database." Don't pick the solution before you know your actual needs.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

If you think more in terms of how OSC is already set up and try to come up with ways you can use it as closely as it is used now, then you might have an easier time of it.

When you say there are too many photos to enter in a database, it seems to me you're assuming that they'd have to be entered manually. There's no reason you can't have an automated script that updates the database based on filesystem contents. You also haven't described how photos are "posted on the website." Is this an automated process? What does it really mean? Does someone upload the files to the server and manually add them as entries in this website? Somehow I doubt it.

Take into consideration what automated processes are already in place. They can be extended to also create a product entry every time a photo is added, and it's not an extremely complicated feat to write an automated script that reads through a folder(s) and creates database entries based on the filenames.

Don't reinvent the wheel, and don't assume that thousands of products must be entered manually. If you can, outline what you already have and outline what you actually need. You're jumping ahead of yourself by saying "no database." Don't pick the solution before you know your actual needs.

Thank you kgt, the problem is that I'm way over my head. I am finding a friend who knows databases. That should have been my first step.

Dominique

Archived