• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My first website

Hi

This is the first time I've designed a website let alone used OScommerce. All constructive critiscism gratefully received. Hoping to go live soon. I took a basic template and tweaked it. Completely newbie so please make advice easy to understand.

www.thelittleshopofbeauty.ie

Thanks.

Rua

Hi

This is the first time I've designed a website let alone used OScommerce. All constructive critiscism gratefully received. Hoping to go live soon. I took a basic template and tweaked it. Completely newbie so please make advice easy to understand.

www.thelittleshopofbeauty.ie

Thanks.

Rua

Failte! (Lived in Dublin and Dun Laoghaire for a time) *grins*

Not a bad looking store overall. Don't forget to ditch the default osc clipart.

My usual: no need for product count in the categories infobox - no need to tell your guests how little products you have. Also, delete the visitor count at the bottom, guests don't need to know that info.

Product images take a little while to load, may want to look into a contribution for that - I am on dialup, so it may just be me. Also, some product images are squashed.

Contact us page - add some more info - phone number, physical address, hours of operation, etc.

While still a stock looking site, the colors and logo banner are great. A pleasant looking shop.

Thanks Moonlight. Will get working on those tomorrow. I probably haven't got to that page in the manual yet :blush: How do you remove the product count? I'm working on the squashed images (very slowly!!)

Really appreciate the feedback

Rua

If you only have one language you do not need the language box.

You need to get rid of the stock osc images and add images for your categories the empty place holders for images look unproffessional.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Help please. I tried adjust the website as per the suggestions and this is what happened. Even when I restore the backup I'm still getting this.

Anyone got any help please.

Rua

At the risk of talking to myself, I sorted that last problem out. Schoolboy error!!! Removed index file by mistake

Sorry you are not getting more feedback, Caroline - glad you are working through things. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks Moonlight. Spent the weekend trying to sort out the dreaded WorldPay Module so am only starting to make other changes now. Even two feedbacks are better than none. That's the way it goes I guess. I appreciate the feedback I got though.

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

nice look on your shop. Clean, calm... I guess that's what you want to achieve selling beauty products.

However, check out http://www.thelittleshopofbeauty.ie/index....t=2a&filter_id= There is an image missing on the top right in the listing. I'm using firefox 1.5.

As for the index page. You might want to change the text there. If your page gets indexed now, there will be the launch date cached. I had the same idea when I "opened" my shop (told about the project being open but still doing some "painting" etc.). Not a good idea. I think people are more likely to shop somewhere else when they got the impression you are a completely new shop. Should they trust you...

Thing about the categories in the navigation. You still have to fill most of the categories which means that my chances to click on one that has no products yet are very high (same in my shop). Problem with the search engines here again. They index the "sorry, no products yet" text and that stays till this page drops out of the index or till they bother to come back for an update (who knows when that will be?).

I tried to show only those categories that actually contained products but once you opened a top category, you still got the listing of the subcategories in the center of the page. I might play around with the code on index.php to show the subcategories only if they contain products.

Good luck with your shop.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

One of the most attractive largely-default sites I've yet seen. Very nicely done. You still need to replace the default osc gifs with something more suited to your site, however. Or just remove them entirely. Also, when I enlarge the text, your layout breaks rather badly in firefox. That's all too common, but still irritating.

The text you have at the moment on the front page strikes me as amateurish, though. I'd replace it with something sales-y and with lots of key words.

I hate the default osc checkout, and recommend a contribution like fast easy checkout in my signature.

I'd suggest making Britain your default country in the checkout. Make it easier on your customers.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

I agree with the compliments on the colors...they suit the store very well. Clean and calm, like Abra said :)

I really hate cookies :x so I won't go into trying to pinpoint a problem, but I think you have something strange with your cookie settings. When I enter the store, I'm getting a session id (ok), but I can't shake it...I have cookies enabled but I can't shake the session id in your store, until I click the 'my account' button. Strange. Then everything seems normal from there...although there do seem to be a couple of session ids hardcoded in your 'my account' and 'cart contents' links at the top.

On that note, I like the green pill shaped graphic at the top/right w/the account links. I think you might be able to put something different in the header navigation bar (on the right), as the links there seem redundant w/ the others up above.

Again, it's really clean and nice...good job!

Thanks choosealogin, abra and gillian. Points noted and I'll add them to the list. Once I figure out what a session ID is I'll try and work it out :D (my only prior experience is Word Processing). Appreciate the links to the contributions gillian and will also be checking (no pun intended) them out.

I've learnt so much from these forums and I honestly couldn't have done this without. It's been a real learning curve.

Hopefully I'll have WorldPay activated in the next day or two.

Thanks all of you.

Rua

Archived