• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Credit Card Module, how do you get the info from it

nicneufeld

Pardon the confusing subject, let me explain:

I've got the stock credit card module working with a CCV2 mod, all is working nicely. We want to manually run credit cards ourselves, so this module looks fine. However I'm confused on how both the credit card number and the CVV2 number are to be conveyed to the customer service rep who will be processing the order. Will they have to login to the admin panel to access this information? Or can they get an email that has that information? I'd much prefer leaving the admin panel locked down.

Thank you!

You do NOT want CC numbers sent via email. You can do the number split - the last 4 or 5 or whatever are sent via email, and the rest stored in the database. Either way, you're still going to need to give them some access. You can try an admin access level contribution like this one:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1359

that will limit what admin users can access. You'd rather keep the admin locked down, but sending credit card numbers via email is decidedly NOT locked down. Don't let the desire to have a secure admin lead you to not securing your customers' credit card numbers!

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

You do NOT want CC numbers sent via email. You can do the number split - the last 4 or 5 or whatever are sent via email, and the rest stored in the database. Either way, you're still going to need to give them some access. You can try an admin access level contribution like this one:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1359

that will limit what admin users can access. You'd rather keep the admin locked down, but sending credit card numbers via email is decidedly NOT locked down. Don't let the desire to have a secure admin lead you to not securing your customers' credit card numbers!

Thanks...I pored through about 30 pages of search results and have come to a similar conclusion. Our controller who asserts authority over all these issues is claiming that our cc company doesn't have any problem with emailing numbers but I severely doubt that. Its a shame there isn't a nicer way to do this...like a seperate login page for our employees to login just to process orders. I'm wondering if that could be built...although I'm too much of a novice to attempt it, I'm sure.

Thanks...I pored through about 30 pages of search results and have come to a similar conclusion. Our controller who asserts authority over all these issues is claiming that our cc company doesn't have any problem with emailing numbers but I severely doubt that. Its a shame there isn't a nicer way to do this...like a seperate login page for our employees to login just to process orders. I'm wondering if that could be built...although I'm too much of a novice to attempt it, I'm sure.

The CC company may not really care, but I'm pretty sure you're required to notify ALL customers if just one number gets stolen. Sending CC numbers via insecure email to an insecure email account is just asking for trouble.

The truth is, you're much safer to never touch credit card numbers. You should not ever be storing them, just passing them to an authorizer. If you don't want the expense of an online payment gateway, then you need to be VERY careful about what you're doing with CC numbers. You're handling personal information and you ARE liable for properly protecting it. Your CC company is not liable for numbers when they are in your "possession," so I'm sure they don't really care what you do with them.

A separate login page to bring up order numbers for unprocessed orders is certainly feasible, if not recommended. If you don't want to jump into a payment gateway, at least look at Paypal, which is a little cheaper. Customers do not have to be Paypal members to pay with credit cards. I think the processing fee is worth a) the security it offers and B) the time/money it would take you to write a order processing page or pay someone else to do it.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

The CC company may not really care, but I'm pretty sure you're required to notify ALL customers if just one number gets stolen. Sending CC numbers via insecure email to an insecure email account is just asking for trouble.

how about using GnuPG to encrypt the data using the public key you store on the web server and then send it to the email of the store owner's accounts receivable department as an attachment. The private key would only be located on this computer, have an email client check for mail on that account and automatically forward attachments to a "decrypt directory", then have a batch program that monitors this "decrypt directory" for new files, if it sees one, it uses the command line GnuPG tool to decrypt the data and then append it to a CSV file - that perhaps is stored in a directory that you are running Microsoft's Encrypting File System (EFS) - where you could also store the private decryption key for the CC data decryption.

I do not like the idea of storing this CC information - even encrypted - in a shared web host's MySQL database. Look at the weak points - the private decryption tool is stored on the web server. You would have "admin" users logging in to a web server and give them access to all this CC data from a web page? This would transmit all the CC data UNENCRYPTED as PLAIN TEXT from the web server to the admin user's browser.

Pay Pal is an easy route, but you end up paying a much higher percentage to them on the transaction than you would on a Visa or Mastercard transaction.

The problem with secure email is that the unencrypted email is then stored by the email client, and most people do not password protect their inboxes or their clients. The transmission is secure, but the storage is rarely secure. Sure you can set up secure file systems, but you're still storing the data. What happens when someone breaks into your shop and steals the company computer? You're liable for what may happen with that data.

There's no reason the admin section need be unprotected an unencrypted, and no excuse for it not being so. I can't imagine why anyone would not secure it! However, I am not arguing that the CC numbers be stored entirely in the admin section. My argument was that sending the CC numbers via email is not a secure alternative.

Paypal has higher rates, but no monthly fees and no contracts that make people squeemish about starting out with an online payment gateway. In my experience, the monthly fees and requirements of most gateways is what frightens people. Once they get started with it and start to get comfortable with how it works, they soon switch to a gateway with lower fees.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

The problem with secure email is that the unencrypted email is then stored by the email client, and most people do not password protect their inboxes or their clients. The transmission is secure, but the storage is rarely secure. Sure you can set up secure file systems, but you're still storing the data. What happens when someone breaks into your shop and steals the company computer? You're liable for what may happen with that data.

There's no reason the admin section need be unprotected an unencrypted, and no excuse for it not being so. I can't imagine why anyone would not secure it! However, I am not arguing that the CC numbers be stored entirely in the admin section. My argument was that sending the CC numbers via email is not a secure alternative.

Paypal has higher rates, but no monthly fees and no contracts that make people squeemish about starting out with an online payment gateway. In my experience, the monthly fees and requirements of most gateways is what frightens people. Once they get started with it and start to get comfortable with how it works, they soon switch to a gateway with lower fees.

here's more on using GnuPG inside PHP

http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/tutorial-brogdon.php

When you set up EFS on a windows active directory, your weak point is the administrator (or recovery agent) login and the login of the person's account that has been given the responsibility of handling all this credit card info. You can specify whole folders or individual files that will be encrypted. Simply breaking into the office and stealing the computer is not going to be good enough, you have to have one of those 2 logins.

The payment gateway programs seem to require too much for some of my customers, which commonly have a single credit card swipe terminal attached to their phone line and handle all transactions manually. If the store owner is the one handling all these transactions, it seems to be pretty secure way, no?

I will look at this further... right now I am on the way to the cPanel conference .....

http://trainingseminar.cpanel.net/

What is most concerning is that people don't recognize the inherent risk in storing CC numbers. The one person typing in the card numbers at his terminal may feel like he has a secure system, but he might be nervous to know the liability he faces in storing those numbers at all.

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/pubarticleCC.jsp?id=1112090711870

The payment gateway programs seem to require too much for some of my customers, which commonly have a single credit card swipe terminal attached to their phone line and handle all transactions manually. If the store owner is the one handling all these transactions, it seems to be pretty secure way, no?

Sure it seems secure, but how secure is it really? Does he never step away from his computer while he's logged on?

Simply breaking into the office and stealing the computer is not going to be good enough, you have to have one of those 2 logins.

How can you be so sure that no one will ever be able to figure out one of those logins? What about the 15 year old kid who works the register? Do you always look over your back to make sure he's not watching what you're typing? Are you so certain that if someone steals the computer there's NO WAY they can get to the data?

Of course it's a secure system, and the possibility of it being cracked is small. That doesn't mean it's impossible to break into! He may be pleased with the level of security, but I would never advise anyone to take on unnecessary liability. Pay the extra fee to not take on this liability. We buy insurance to provide liability coverage in case we cause anyone damage. Part of the gateway fee is liability insurance - you don't ever need to store the numbers.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations