• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

shop flop

Hi All

I going to start building a store soon but wanted to learn from your experiences. Can people give

there advice why some of there stores failed? what products not to sell?

Is there topic in ther fourm where people were discussing why there store failed as I don't

have to go through that path.

Regards

sky

Stores (on line carts) are only part of the overall business. You need a fiscal plan and a marketing plan as well. Along with customer service, competitive pricing (competitive does not mean cheapest) and an easy to use web site, these ideas will make or break your business.

I have found that if you are considered an "expert" in what you deal with people wll come and use your services as they expect to have someone who is knowledgable on the products sold, so if they need help they can obtain it with the shop....

cheers,

Peter M.

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Stores (on line carts) are only part of the overall business. You need a fiscal plan and a marketing plan as well. Along with customer service, competitive pricing (competitive does not mean cheapest) and an easy to use web site, these ideas will make or break your business.

I have found that if you are considered an "expert" in what you deal with people wll come and use your services as they expect to have someone who is knowledgable on the products sold, so if they need help they can obtain it with the shop....

cheers,

Peter M.

thanks for that. is it possible to see your online shop? I am thinking of opening a shop with

baby products what do you think of the idea?.

I'm a bit lost about finding a product to sell, I have the web skills to build but don't what to sell.

I like travelling abroad on holiday is there any product I could sell related to that industry.

I am confused!!!!!

sky

Ha! We all like like to travel abroad on holiday. :)

You might consider selling your web development skills, if that's what you enjoy doing.

If you want to sell a product, it will likely require an investment of money to do it right (although you can start out minimally and grow over time). I would suggest that if you have the chance go to a trade show and look at some products. One I go to all the time is the Canton Fair in Guangzhou, it is twice a year and one of the largest in China. There is also a good trade show in Las Vegas in August, I haven't been there yet but will attend this summer. Both of these are gift and household products oriented. If you want to do electronics, auto parts, etc., then look for a trade show in that category. You'll get a lot of good ideas at these shows.

It can be quite exciting and rewarding, but like Peter said; you should have a good financial and marketing plan, customer service, competitive pricing, etc. Successfull selling on the net involves much more than having a good website - you need to research and read online everyday on a variety of subjects. Then when the business starts to take off, be prepared to work long hours for no money while you grow it. Maybe one day you can give Walmart a run for their money. :)

You need to be personally interested in what you are selling to sell just for the sake of selling is usually not sucessfull.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Ha! We all like like to travel abroad on holiday. :)

You might consider selling your web development skills, if that's what you enjoy doing.

If you want to sell a product, it will likely require an investment of money to do it right (although you can start out minimally and grow over time). I would suggest that if you have the chance go to a trade show and look at some products. One I go to all the time is the Canton Fair in Guangzhou, it is twice a year and one of the largest in China. There is also a good trade show in Las Vegas in August, I haven't been there yet but will attend this summer. Both of these are gift and household products oriented. If you want to do electronics, auto parts, etc., then look for a trade show in that category. You'll get a lot of good ideas at these shows.

It can be quite exciting and rewarding, but like Peter said; you should have a good financial and marketing plan, customer service, competitive pricing, etc. Successfull selling on the net involves much more than having a good website - you need to research and read online everyday on a variety of subjects. Then when the business starts to take off, be prepared to work long hours for no money while you grow it. Maybe one day you can give Walmart a run for their money. :)

I realy value what you have said and what advice people give here. And I don't want to start a shop and later find it flops.

I did a brainstorm about what I like doing and what I would enjoy selling and now I can't can't get

"BABY PRODUCTS" off my mind.

What do you think of that industry? is it too competitive? is it growing?

The reason I choose this subject is because the items will be small and cheap

I could sell baby gadgets (gadgets which I like.) the products could

fit in my room and then gradually grow in the garden shed then a warhouse. I could speak to the local hospital and get them make orders from my site.

Have I chosen the right product?

I look foward for to your reply.

sky

People with babies are always ready to spend money on them.

You need to ask yourself:

Do you have recent experience with babies? People who come to your store will expect you to be an expert.

Products for babies are changing all the time.

Are you passionate about babies?

People who come to your site will be.

Do you like dealing with paranoid first time mothers?

They will come too!

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

People with babies are always ready to spend money on them.

You need to ask yourself:

Do you have recent experience with babies? People who come to your store will expect you to be an expert.

Products for babies are changing all the time.

People who come to your site will be.

They will come too!

Do you have recent experience with babies?

non what so ever :-( But will do in the future.

Don't have babies, got married recently so will be thinking in the future

Dont know what its like having babies.

never dealt with these customers before :-(

So I think this baby idea is probably not for me then? :-(

Now I am really really lost haven't a clue what to sell.

Let me know if you can guide me in any way

I'm not saying not to open a baby site. It is good that you are thinking of having babies. That will educate you and put you in the right frame of mind for your shop.

I was just playing devil's advocate and asking the kind of questions that I would ask myself before undertaking a venture like you are thinking of.

There are tonnes of resourses and sites about babies and baby products have a look at what others are doing.

Having a baby yourself would definatly make all of this clearer to you. But this is of course the wrong reason to have a child.

You did do a backup? eh?

Having a baby yourself would definatly make all of this clearer to you. But this is of course the wrong reason to have a child.

LOL :lol: :D :P

That needs to go into an osCommerce quote archive somewhere!

ed

LOL :lol: :D :P

That needs to go into an osCommerce quote archive somewhere!

ed

Nah I think I'll be having a baby to start a shop :-) . How do people keep themselfs interested

in there online shop whilst they are building it? cos you could get bored of it

Let us know your thoughts about my baby shop project any thoughts, advice, directions, serious

ones though :-) would be great.

I can't get myself to doing the project last week I was going to build something mega now I am thinking

about ink cartridges.

sky

Nah I think I'll be having a baby to start a shop :-) . How do people keep themselfs interested

Let us know your thoughts about my baby shop project any thoughts, advice, directions, serious

I can't get myself to doing the project last week I was going to build something mega now I am thinking

about ink cartridges.

sky

Oops I met "I dont think I'll be having a baby just to open up a shop" :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well as long as your store isn't anything like (the one that I can't find at the moment) or anything like it then you should be fine.

Will update post as soon as I find the site I wanted to add.

I am Tim? and Tim? is me!

about ink cartridges.

sky

if you can't keep your mind on a particular field, you shouldn't be selling products in it :)

you should also do yourself a favor if you research the particular field you have interest in. if there's a bazillion stores already online with those types of products, you're going to have an extremely hard time getting your name/site out unless you have a lot of money at your disposal to fork over for advertising.

!!UPDATE ON PREVIOUS POST!! (Can't edit -- d'oh)

Well as long as your store isn't anything like THIS ONE or anything like it then you should be fine.

IMPORTANT!: If you wish to protect your IP Address whilst visiting the site then CLICK HERE instead!

I wouldn't trust that site at all and I certainly wouldn't use it either!!

Anyway if you would like to PM me asking me what I'd think if a store that you'd set up sold something then please do. :-)

cjb.net inserts an iframe, your ip will still probably show up in their logs. it just looks like a default osc site. while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that - i don't see why it's an untrustworthy site?

eww, last time I checked (which was just now), when I accessed my clients website using the CJB.net proxy the IP address shown was completely different to mine.

I see that site as untrustworth because of this comment someone once said about it:

I would never ever buy online cigarettes online -- even if it is cheaper -- you cannot inspect them before buying, you don't know if they're genuine or dodgy* ones that may be risky for your health and if you want a refund you've got no guarantees and you'll have to pay return postage.

* = Around London people sometimes sell cigarettes on the street which are fake and actually unhealthy than real cigarettes.

Someone once said that somewhere.

Basically I just wouldn't trust that place myself, wouldn't buy from there and wouldn't trust them with my IP address.

time I checked (which was just now), when I accessed my clients website using the CJB.net proxy the IP address shown was completely different to mine.

cjb.net may have changed the way they use their iframes or whatever since the last time i used them.. so you could be right :)

but realistically, there isn't much they can do with your ip unless they work for an isp providing you have a decent firewall ;)

although i see your point, i don't really see how online cigarettes are any less healthy than marlboro's or what have you :lol:

Archived