• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

database creation: Access vs. MySQL vs. MSSQL

I'm completely new to osCommerce and PHP in general and am setting up (or attempting to set up) an ecommerce site for an author friend of mine.

We do not have ANY database in place yet as this is a new company. I've worked with Microsoft Access databases before, but don't know anything about the MySQL or MSSQL. I'd like to get some input on why I might choose one over the other.

Caveat: It seems that I inadvertently created a MySQL connection, but I think I can still change that if need be.

Also, I understand that I could easily set up a new Access database for customer information/orders, but am not sure how I would go about creating one in MySQL.

Any advice appreciated!

thx,

If you want to use MS Access, you will have to be on a Windows server using an ODBC connection, and have to rewrite the database calls to work with Access.

If you are using osCommerce you will definitely be better off going with MySQL. You can be on any type of server (Linux is better of course) and not have to use an ODBC connection.

In addition, MySQL is a *lot* faster than MS Access and can handle a lot more traffic.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

If you want to use MS Access, you will have to be on a Windows server using an ODBC connection, and have to rewrite the database calls to work with Access.

If you are using osCommerce you will definitely be better off going with MySQL. You can be on any type of server (Linux is better of course) and not have to use an ODBC connection.

In addition, MySQL is a *lot* faster than MS Access and can handle a lot more traffic.

Thanks for the input, Jim! We are hosted on a Windows/IIS server, but I'll search for some documentation on how to build a MySQL customer order database and give it a try since it's already connected.

Is there any reason why you are not able to use the information that is already contained within osCommerce?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Is there any reason why you are not able to use the information that is already contained within osCommerce?

actually, I didn't realize that there was anything there, but I logged in last night and realized that my changes in /admin had been added to the existing MySQL db. That works for me!

now if I can only figure out why I can't upload a product image via the /admin site or via FTP. :huh:

I have a few ideas why you wouldn't be able to upload images via the admin but I have never heard of not being able to upload via FTP.

When connected via FTP, what kind of message do you get?

Does the images folder and all of it's contents (i.e. files and folders) have full privileges?

Archived