• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Why do so many sites have a left aligned look?

nursallie

Ok, I've noticed a lot of sites are not centered on my computer screen, they are aligned to the left and do not fill my screen. WHy would anyone make a "small" screen shot as a website?

Also, I've noticed some designers have the same exact look for all of their sites--- the format is a long rectangle down the middle of the computer screen with nothing out to the left or right sides of the screen. Is this because they are using an easy-to-use template?

THanks in advance for your replies. :)

from a design standpoint sometimes a fixed width site makes complete sense--not everyone has a 24 inch monitor, some people only have 17" monitors and resolution capabilities will decide whether or not you have to scroll left to right to see the site--and that is annoying, so most designers design with this in mind and make it easy for everyone to view the site

not sure this is really an osc question, however I hope it helps answer your question anyway

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

Ok, I've noticed a lot of sites are not centered on my computer screen, they are aligned to the left and do not fill my screen. WHy would anyone make a "small" screen shot as a website?

Also, I've noticed some designers have the same exact look for all of their sites--- the format is a long rectangle down the middle of the computer screen with nothing out to the left or right sides of the screen. Is this because they are using an easy-to-use template?

THanks in advance for your replies. :)

You obviously use a big monitor with higher screen resolution than 1024x768. I have a 17" screen with 1024x768 resolution and usually my browser is not opened fullscreen. In my case and all those where the screen is smaller and the resolution lower (still a quite high percentage of users) it's very annoying to scroll right to see the rest of the page. Fixing the width to something like 770px solves this problem.

Some newspapers have their site show on the left side and use the right side for ads (ususally to fit the 1024x768 resolution) so in this case you are lucky with a lower resolution as you can't see the ads...

I prefer the centered look. On a screen and resolution like mine, it just looks like a sheet of paper on a background and that's a nice clean business look (at least for me).

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived