• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie question

gregevans

Hi,

I need to place a specific product on a standard HTML page. So I end up with a standard HTML page that shows 1 specific product. Can anyone tell me how I would go about coding that as I have no experience with PHP and very little with OSC.

Thanks

Greg

PHP creates html pages on the fly using content stored in a mysql database.

The page for any product will appear in a browser as html but will not for the most part be coded that way.

When adding a product html code may be added description field. However but osc mostly uses the files refered to in this thread to create its files.

Do you want to sell only one product?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

PHP creates html pages on the fly using content stored in a mysql database.

The page for any product will appear in a browser as html but will not for the most part be coded that way.

When adding a product html code may be added description field. However but osc mostly uses the files refered to in this thread to create its files.

Do you want to sell only one product?

I actually have a total of 21 products for this particular store. The customer wants to display 9 of those products at his discretion on the main page, with links (somewhere on the page, he has not decided where yet) to all of the products individually. The customer also wants it so that when I click on say "Product A" it opens up a page for "product A" that is themed for that particular product.

Seeing as how the site has only 21 (and that is all it will have according to him) products, I thought it might be easier to code the pages using mostly HTML/CSS with just some simple(?) php to pull out the stuf I need from the DB and hit the shopping cart so something like (pseudo code and very simplified):

<table>
(col 1 row 1)
 <?php
 some code to get "Product A" from database and all associated stuff needed
 ?>
(col 2 row 1)
 <?php
 some code to get "Product B" from database and all associated stuff needed
 ?>
(col 3 row 1)
 <?php
 some code to get "Product D" from database and all associated stuff needed
 ?>
</table>

Notice that I skipped "Product C". I did that because my customer is not sure which of his 21 items he wants to be on the front page.

Now is the time that I wish that I understood OSC better as well as php. I really hate asking questions, and thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide :)

-Greg

To do what you want would require some major customization of osc.

Have you looked through the contributions to see if there is anything there that might do what you want?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived