• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing languages/english/index.php...

Hi forum,

I've just managed to install OS and have tinkered around with the products and catergories, etc via the admin panel. I would now like to try to editing my site from the demo layout to my own design.

From what I think I have gathered, I need to edit files in the catalog//includes/languages/english folder? I have a few questions with regards to this:

1. Is this the correct way first of all?!

2. When I tried to edit index.php, it set that I need to set the right user permissions. Do I need to CHMOD these files/folders in my FTP program?

3. How can I edit whats in the left / right colums, header and footer?

4. I only want my site available in English. How do I remove the german/espanol?

If anyone can advise or poke me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance,

Tom R

If you do not have permissions to edit the file, then yes, you will need to CHMOD them. What exact permissions you will need, I can't tell you.

You can remove boxes by editing the includes/column_right.php and includes/column_left.php files.

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...ocalization/163

for more on languages.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Hi forum,

I've just managed to install OS and have tinkered around with the products and catergories, etc via the admin panel. I would now like to try to editing my site from the demo layout to my own design.

From what I think I have gathered, I need to edit files in the catalog//includes/languages/english folder? I have a few questions with regards to this:

1. Is this the correct way first of all?!

2. When I tried to edit index.php, it set that I need to set the right user permissions. Do I need to CHMOD these files/folders in my FTP program?

3. How can I edit whats in the left / right colums, header and footer?

4. I only want my site available in English. How do I remove the german/espanol?

If anyone can advise or poke me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance,

Tom R

1 Yes. when you delete the text leave the ' ' punctuation marks in place or this will cause a error.

2 Yes some of them. Check out the knowledge base.

3 You dont need to touch these because they will change when you add your products in admin.

4 Go to your admin page click on localization languages you can remove them there.

I hope this helps

Les

1 Yes. when you delete the text leave the ' ' punctuation marks in place or this will cause a error.

2 Yes some of them. Check out the knowledge base.Link to K,B

3 You dont need to touch these because they will change when you add your products in admin.

4 Go to your admin page click on localization languages you can remove them there.

I hope this helps

Les

Thank you for your quick replies :)

Right here's an update on how things are going...

1. See two :P

2. I have CHMODed all the files and folders mention on K.B (http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/Installation_and_Upgrades/224), but the error message is still the same:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home15a/sub003/sc17799-IEOR/tomrowley.net/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

3. Thank you. :thumbsup:

4. Sorted and deleted.

Any more advice would be great as I'm still baffled. If anyone wants to check out the OS, it's located at

http://tomrowley.net/catalog

Thanks again

Archived