• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbe...Need help adding my logo

ALSMonarch

Hi,

I'm very new to all of this. I've spent hours reading through this forum, but I can't find the answers I need.

I have installed OSC 2.2, but I can't figure out how to add my company's logo and install a template with my custom colors.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me in Very Simple Language (seriously, I don't know what I'm doing!)

Thank so much in advance!

Amy

Hi,

I'm very new to all of this. I've spent hours reading through this forum, but I can't find the answers I need.

I have installed OSC 2.2, but I can't figure out how to add my company's logo and install a template with my custom colors.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me in Very Simple Language (seriously, I don't know what I'm doing!)

Thank so much in advance!

Amy

1st upload your image to catalog/images directory.

2nd go to catalog/includes/header.php open this file and edit it like so. ps go to bottom.

<?php

/*

$Id: header.php,v 1.42 2003/06/10 18:20:38 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

// check if the 'install' directory exists, and warn of its existence

if (WARN_INSTALL_EXISTENCE == 'false') {

if (file_exists(dirname($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) . '/install')) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_INSTALL_DIRECTORY_EXISTS, 'warning');

}

}

// check if the configure.php file is writeable

if (WARN_CONFIG_WRITEABLE == 'false') {

if ( (file_exists(dirname($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) . '/includes/configure.php')) && (is_writeable(dirname($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) . '/includes/configure.php')) ) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_CONFIG_FILE_WRITEABLE, 'warning');

}

}

// check if the session folder is writeable

if (WARN_SESSION_DIRECTORY_NOT_WRITEABLE == 'true') {

if (STORE_SESSIONS == '') {

if (!is_dir(tep_session_save_path())) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_SESSION_DIRECTORY_NON_EXISTENT, 'warning');

} elseif (!is_writeable(tep_session_save_path())) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_SESSION_DIRECTORY_NOT_WRITEABLE, 'warning');

}

}

}

// check session.auto_start is disabled

if ( (function_exists('ini_get')) && (WARN_SESSION_AUTO_START == 'true') ) {

if (ini_get('session.auto_start') == '1') {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_SESSION_AUTO_START, 'warning');

}

}

if ( (WARN_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NOT_READABLE == 'true') && (DOWNLOAD_ENABLED == 'true') ) {

if (!is_dir(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD)) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NON_EXISTENT, 'warning');

}

}

if ($messageStack->size('header') > 0) {

echo $messageStack->output('header');

}

?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr class="header">

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'oscommercel.') . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td align="right" valign="bottom"><?php// echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '

Change the text in red with the image name and file type eg yourimage.gif or yourimage.jpg. and save it.

Thanks so much for your response!

Am I to assume you're talking about going to "Tools", "File Manager", then opening the "images" folder and then upload my image to that? If so, I can't figure out how to upload an image there. I looked under 'Catalog', but couldn't find an 'images' or 'includes' directory.

Also, if I try to edit under the 'File Manager' I get this error message...

Error Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/theoccas/public_html/Gift/catalog//shipping.php

Thanks for your help.

Amy

Thanks so much for your response!

Am I to assume you're talking about going to "Tools", "File Manager", then opening the "images" folder and then upload my image to that? If so, I can't figure out how to upload an image there. I looked under 'Catalog', but couldn't find an 'images' or 'includes' directory.

Also, if I try to edit under the 'File Manager' I get this error message...

Error Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/theoccas/public_html/Gift/catalog//shipping.php

Thanks for your help.

Amy

Hi Amy

You need to upload your image using FTP. I used to use the file manager route but it can go wrong & FTP is alot easier when you get the hang of it. I use Filezilla. I'm still learning, but it is free & easy to use.

If you called your logo the same name oscommerce.gif you wouldn't need to amend the file, but if you called the image your name you would need to change the name in the file mentioned above to the same. You can still change the name you see when you hover, even if you keep the file name the same. Amend the second part to your site name.

'oscommerce.gif', 'oscommercel.' This becomes 'oscommerce.gif', 'yoursite.'

Hope that helps

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded Filezilla, but I don't know how to get my files from filezilla onto my oscommerce page. Do you mind explaining to me? :)

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy

I typed out some instructions & pm'd you some links to look at as I didn't know if I was allowed to post them here, & then managed to lose my instructions! :P

Anyhow, read the instructions in these links & if you need any more help let me know. I'm not too good at explaining, & I've needed help myself with getting my head around this, but when you do it is alot easier to amend, upload & download files so avoiding the admin file manager.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Hi Amy

I typed out some instructions & pm'd you some links to look at as I didn't know if I was allowed to post them here, & then managed to lose my instructions! :P

Anyhow, read the instructions in these links & if you need any more help let me know. I'm not too good at explaining, & I've needed help myself with getting my head around this, but when you do it is alot easier to amend, upload & download files so avoiding the admin file manager.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Hello Julie,

As I am having the same problem, would you sending me these instruction as well?

Thank you in advance.

Paul GJ.

"There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way......"

Hello Julie,

As I am having the same problem, would you sending me these instruction as well?

Thank you in advance.

Paul GJ.

"There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way......"

Have done Paul. Hope they help.

Julie

:blink: I was trying to change the banner to show my logo, too - but I do not have a header.php file listed in my file manager. Is there another way to change this - or perhaps a different name the file could be under? I do not even have a catalog file. (I am using the cpanel file manager to work with my site.)

Please help!

:blink: I was trying to change the banner to show my logo, too - but I do not have a header.php file listed in my file manager. Is there another way to change this - or perhaps a different name the file could be under? I do not even have a catalog file. (I am using the cpanel file manager to work with my site.)

Please help!

Ok, guys. I found the header.php file. I followed the instructions above (so I thought) and uploaded my logo. But now, the oscommerce banner is still at the top of my website and now, my logo is giant and located at the very bottom of everything. Can someone please explain how to fix this?

Thanks!

Ok, guys. I found the header.php file. I followed the instructions above (so I thought) and uploaded my logo. But now, the oscommerce banner is still at the top of my website and now, my logo is giant and located at the very bottom of everything. Can someone please explain how to fix this?

Thanks!

What is the original size of your logo image? What do you use as your editor program?

Thanks!

Hi Sarah

I am not experienced but this is what I initially did, & it worked. If you upload your logo to catalogue/images & call it oscommerce.gif (as the default) & keep the size the same it should appear in the same top left hand position.

ie : amend the header.php

'oscommerce.gif', 'oscommercel.' to 'oscommerce.gif', 'name of your site.'

If you have uploaded your logo as your name the header.php should read:

'your logo.gif', 'your site name.'

Check your logo image size is the same as the default oscommerce.gif size. I'm not sure why it should appear at the bottom thought.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for PMing the help links :thumbsup:

Now that I have my logo added, and I've figured out how to change my permissions...maybe you can help me change my background colour? I thought I should be doing this in the stylesheet, but it doesn't seem to change anything? I'm trying to alter the bg colour, the border colours and the font style. YIKES! This is sooo much harder than HTML. :)

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Amy

Hi Julie,

Thanks for PMing the help links :thumbsup:

Now that I have my logo added, and I've figured out how to change my permissions...maybe you can help me change my background colour? I thought I should be doing this in the stylesheet, but it doesn't seem to change anything? I'm trying to alter the bg colour, the border colours and the font style. YIKES! This is sooo much harder than HTML. :)

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Amy

Hi Amy

A freind of mine made my header more fancy, so I wouldn't want to comment about that, but I thought too that the stylesheet did all that. Do you F5 when you go back to view your site? Silly but easily forgotten.

Hopefully someone will join this thread & help you.

Julie

Hi Sarah

I am not experienced but this is what I initially did, & it worked. If you upload your logo to catalogue/images & call it oscommerce.gif (as the default) & keep the size the same it should appear in the same top left hand position.

ie : amend the header.php

'oscommerce.gif', 'oscommercel.' to 'oscommerce.gif', 'name of your site.'

If you have uploaded your logo as your name the header.php should read:

'your logo.gif', 'your site name.'

Check your logo image size is the same as the default oscommerce.gif size. I'm not sure why it should appear at the bottom thought.

Julie

Okay - when I orignally uploaded my logo it was apparently way bigger than the original oscommerce.gif. Now I've resized my logo and I believe it should be the right size. However, now when I try to upload the image to my home/username/public_html/images/banners it tells me "Error: I cannot write to this directory. Please use the right user permissions on: home/username/public_html/images/banners".

I'm confused, why did it allow me to upload before and not now? What do I do?

Thanks!

Okay - when I orignally uploaded my logo it was apparently way bigger than the original oscommerce.gif. Now I've resized my logo and I believe it should be the right size. However, now when I try to upload the image to my home/username/public_html/images/banners it tells me "Error: I cannot write to this directory. Please use the right user permissions on: home/username/public_html/images/banners".

I'm confused, why did it allow me to upload before and not now? What do I do?

Thanks!

Hi Sarah

I haven't needed to change the permissions (throught my hosts control panel) when I have used Filezilla FTP. I notice this time you say catalog/images/banner. This is not where it is uploaded to. You need to upload to catalog/images directory. This is probably where you uploaded to last time when it worked.

Give it another go & if it won't upload to catalog/images, then check the catalog/images folder is set to 777, throught your hosts control panel, but I'm sure the problem is you were trying to upload to the wrong place second time round.

Hope that works.

Julie

Archived