• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding an Affiliate Program

Hello,

I just saw on one of my competitors, that they mentioned their affiliate program in this way: We are a small company willing to pay good money to affiliates to help our business grow" (I did that from memory, but it's close enough).

I JUST opened my store yesterday. I do NOT have money upfront for anything (built my store on a budge of under $100 - came under that).

So - my question is ... How do you know if you can afford to start an affiliate program? How much money do you typically need in reserve to pay affiliates, as a cushion?

What other advice or suggestions can you give that I may not have thought to ask?

Thanks in advance.

I use the osCommerce affiliate contribution, it is set up where I pay my affiliates based on a comission of the sales they generate. I pay 6% of the total product sales generated, once a month or whenever their commission adds up to $10 or more (that way I don't write checks every month for a couple of dollars).

So you really don't need to worry about out of pocket money, it will be paid after you process the sale and ship the item. The money will come from your profits.

Don't expect to make much sales from affiliates. Mine do generate traffic and some sales, but mostly I use the affilate contribution to track advertising campaigns.

Mark, thank you for your input. I was assuming one didn't need a reserve of money to get started, but I just wanted to make sure.

How hard was the affiliate program contribution to install?

It's been a while since I installed it, but I don't think it was difficult. It is definately worth the effort of installing it. I'm in there everyday checking to see where my sales are coming from (email campaigns, google adwords, overture, affiliates, links, etc). Just be sure to create an affiliate account for every campaign you want to track and put the affiliate ID in the link. Great Tool!

• 3 months later...

Mark

I started looking for and affilate program & I am wanting to know which of the affilate contributions you are using. I am needing a ROI tracker as you mentioned you use the contribution. I am also needing to have an affilate program. We have outside sales persons we will be using & I will need a way to track their traffic/commisions.

Thanks,

Kristine

www.boxgeek.com

Kristine

• 5 months later...
Mark

I started looking for and affilate program & I am wanting to know which of the affilate contributions you are using. I am needing a ROI tracker as you mentioned you use the contribution. I am also needing to have an affilate program. We have outside sales persons we will be using & I will need a way to track their traffic/commisions.

Thanks,

Kristine

www.boxgeek.com

For monitoring ROI including which referrers bring more sales, try Google Analytics with their "E-commerce" module. Google Analytics is free if you have a adwords account.

Chris

www.marielulingerie.it

• 4 months later...
I use the osCommerce affiliate contribution, it is set up where I pay my affiliates based on a comission of the sales they generate.

Mark,

Which affiliate contribution are you using? I noticed that there are a few out there. I'm interested in getting something set up so that maybe my customers might promote the site. In addition to the possible sales, there's also the SEO benefit of having links back to the site. Advertising is so expensive, it would be nice to have others do some of it for me for free.

Roxann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A simple and easy way would be to assign sites a specific coupon code which offers their customers $xx amount off their purchase. You can then track how many times that coupon code is used and pay your affiliate based on the report. When your business picks up, then move to a more sophisticated affiliate program.

• 1 month later...
A simple and easy way would be to assign sites a specific coupon code which offers their customers $xx amount off their purchase. You can then track how many times that coupon code is used and pay your affiliate based on the report. When your business picks up, then move to a more sophisticated affiliate program.

good advise... do you know about a more sophisticated affiliate program.

have you seen what teleflora is doing for mother day?... they are getting free advertising and publicity using this system from radio stations, tvshows

Archived